Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20

Author Topic: UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finder (Post ideas and requests for the next release)  (Read 52877 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Re: Dwarf Fortress UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finding Utility (W.I.P
« Reply #150 on: July 28, 2009, 11:57:48 am »

This is awesome, thanks!

Quick suggestion though, specify the river type, if that's possible.  I.E. Only return sites with a major river.

Maybe waterfalls too, although that would likely be difficult, since you can't see those from the embark screen, so far as I know...
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #151 on: July 28, 2009, 12:14:35 pm »

Quick suggestion though, specify the river type, if that's possible.  I.E. Only return sites with a major river.

Maybe waterfalls too, although that would likely be difficult, since you can't see those from the embark screen, so far as I know...

Rivers may be hard, especially if people are using graphics sets, because GFX would have to find a way to determine the picture the rivers use for everyone. Waterfalls may not be too hard, once rivers work atleast. It would just have to find where the river is on the embark, check the elevation and if there was a large difference from 2 points on the river, there would most likely be a waterfall.

On another note, GFX if you re-vamped the search so that it fully checks every place in the map for the features I would love you forever.

EDIT: Few minor problems with v2.8 (As follows is a journal of my bad luck)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 12:58:29 pm by Lamp »
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #152 on: July 28, 2009, 12:58:08 pm »

Rivers may be hard, especially if people are using graphics sets, because GFX would have to find a way to determine the picture the rivers use for everyone. Waterfalls may not be too hard, once rivers work atleast. It would just have to find where the river is on the embark, check the elevation and if there was a large difference from 2 points on the river, there would most likely be a waterfall.

It already asks if you're using a graphics set, so I would guess that GFX is already checking at least some of the letters in this way.  Even if not, depending on how he's writing it (didn't notice a programming language, wasn't really looking for it though) there may be a way to pull a section out of the graphic sheet and check it against the screen.  Again, I don't know how it's being written so I can't be sure.
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #153 on: July 28, 2009, 01:03:46 pm »

Yeah I guess that's true.

I just realized something though, the in-game search almost always leaves you with at least some mountain, and the only kind of river you can get there is the smallest one, so it would take forever (Or be impossible) to find a different sized river...

If it's possible UltraFinder should be able to check which process has focus, so in case something pops up UltraFinder will pause so you can deal with it instead of having it spam what ever popped up.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #154 on: July 28, 2009, 01:23:07 pm »

I just realized something though, the in-game search almost always leaves you with at least some mountain, and the only kind of river you can get there is the smallest one, so it would take forever (Or be impossible) to find a different sized river...

If it's possible UltraFinder should be able to check which process has focus, so in case something pops up UltraFinder will pause so you can deal with it instead of having it spam what ever popped up.

Good point....  maybe the major river thing is more of a request for ToadyOne....

I didn't have a problem with it, but then again I usually disable my anti-virus whenever I'm not either updating it or running a scan, so I don't typically have many popups...  Definitely a good idea though.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 29, 2009, 02:52:43 am »

Quick suggestion though, specify the river type, -snip- Maybe waterfalls too...

I've actually looked into both of these and both pose a few problems with the programs current functionality. I'll explain further down.

It already asks if you're using a graphics set, so I would guess that GFX is already checking at least some of the letters in this way.

Heh, this was actually general slackness on my behalf (there is a lot of that in this program). It's lingering on from the alpha version when I didn't have the program properly scan your init file and I just got users to tell it instead. Consider it fixed for the next release.

The program doesn't scan your character set _at all_. I looked into getting it to read tile data, but it was pushing the boundaries of how far I was willing to take this program. At the moment, all it does is detect colour changes (hence why some shaded character sets + colour schemes make this program throw a hissy fit). This is also why "Haunted/Terrifying" are bundled in the same word group. They are both the same colour.

I can have the program identify what it "thinks" is a river but several conditions would have to be met like having the river span multiple tiles of the embark rectangle so that they show up blue on black, though you then face the problem of the program mixing up underground rivers with brooks etc.

Lamp got it right about elevation and rivers pertaining to instancing of waterfalls, though, again theres the problem in that the program would pull up underground rivers too. The only way around this would be to forcibly set underground rivers to "No" if such a feature was checked.

Though, perhaps that is a price people would be willing to pay.

Also, until (if ever) I scan individual tiles, finding specific river types looks like it is going to be out.

Yes, the inbuilt finder favours mountain sites, but users also seem to favour mountain biome features. If you set the program to turn out sites with only a river and a magma pipe with a sedimentary layer, for example, the majority of sites turned out are devoid of mountain tiles all together.

Another winning idea. Consider it in. I had Avira's evil popup interrupt my scan last night. That bastard.

And, as per your problems: if the program takes a wrong turn at any corner, it's missinterperated where Dwarf Fortress is at in the plethora of menus. As explained above, the program reads colour changes, so, if your tiles aren't of a 1:1 aspect (thus causing the interpolated pixels to throw my program off), contain shading, or you are using a colour scheme where the difference between two colours is too close the program simply runs blind. Rather than changing key delays etc, I'd be messing with your tileset and/or colour scheme.

On another note, GFX if you re-vamped the search so that it fully checks every place in the map for the features I would love you forever.

Yeah, again, sorry; this won't go in unless I scan the actual tiles from the character sets and given the impending release of the new Dwarf Fortress along with shortage-of-time factors in my life, this is a highly improbable eventuality.

Hopefully I covered everything. I appreciate the communities' input.

Cheers,

GFXiNXS
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 29, 2009, 04:41:31 am »

I was thinking, I am gonna attempt something on one world, problem is I need around 4 or 5 different sites, one on a volcano, one in a lake, one near the sea, one over a bottomless pit and another on the plains...

What if the Finder would allow you to search a pre gen map (like 10 already made) over and over again with those different settings without having to set up a world gen parameter. You know, Sorry if this lack of English makes no sense, came up with the thought at work and while I cool down afterwards, English don't come to me naturally, and I speak it as my first language...
Ugh, energy drain...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #157 on: July 29, 2009, 11:26:51 am »

I'm running 40d11, using mayday's graphics set.
Spoiler: Init (click to show/hide)
Using "Another Colour Scheme", none of the display settings for Mayday were changed, other then the print mode.
It worked fine on v2.6, except I had to change my colour scheme to default whenever I wanted to use the program.

Spoiler: More Brain Diarrhea (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:22:27 pm by Lamp »

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 31, 2009, 12:06:46 am »

Still have yet to test out your problems, Lamp. I haven't been home in a few days, but I should get back some time this weekend and I'll test it out then. I apologise for any frustration you may be experiencing :-\

Multiple init files is definately doable. I'll just need to get the user to create UlltraFinder_Init_2.txt etc and it'll cycle through.

And yeah, I remember good old regional prospector. I believe its functionality was partially derived from an image based search which meant you had to be using the default tileset in order for it to work. This comes back to me having to call up specific tiles and it's just a matter of finding a simple enough way to do so. One of the biggest problems is, once I have called up the right tile from data\art, I then have to get the colour right. Eg. A magma pipe with the embark rectangle over it is red on black, whilst without the embark rectangle over it, it is black on brown and I'd have to factor in the shading on each tile, too.

Once that is done, the rest will come easy, though it'd be a lot of work to get to that point. It'd also make more advanced searches a hell of a lot more tangible, things like oceanside forts with magma pipes etc.

I'll likely try and wrap up the current feature set before even attempting such a big move, so I wouldn't hold your breath.

Cheers guys :)

uran77

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 01, 2009, 01:16:29 am »

does it work with d13?

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: August 01, 2009, 02:21:28 am »

It should work with 40d and everything above :)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: August 02, 2009, 08:00:44 pm »

I know that that this has been mentioned before, but the fixes for it are not working for me. It is saying:

But the file is named Dwarf Fortress.exe I even tried DwarfFortress.exe, dwarffortress.exe, Dwarf Fort.exe, and Dwarf Fort.

But it does not work on any.

Also here is a snap shot of my directory.

2.6 is not in the shot but i have tryed it on that as well.

Here is my int

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: August 02, 2009, 08:45:04 pm »

That... is just plain wierd. Your snapshot clearly depicts that everything as it should be, and your init.txt shouldn't really be part of the problem.

Perhaps you could offer up your operating system and your dwarf fortress version as well?

Technically, seeing as it is clearly in the same directory, and clearly has the appropriate name, it should at least run. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps your full directory listing contains some funky characters like My Docs\£¥Ú»╚\My Games\Dwarf Fortress\.

Either that, or if you are running Vista, and have the dwarf fortress directory listed under Program Files, you may want to try moving it to a different location.

Cheers :)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: August 02, 2009, 09:01:42 pm »

I am not vary computer savvy so I may be wrong, but I think my operating system is:
Vista
Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) 9100e quad-core processor 1.80 GHz
RAM: 4.00 GB
64-bit operating system.

It is under:
Family>Documents>Dwarf Fort>DDF

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: August 02, 2009, 09:24:59 pm »

Alright... doing some reading would show that some users of AutoHotKey (the program I used to make this application) in conjunction with Vista 64, encounter problems when running with UAC on (User Account Control).

There is a tutorial on disabling it here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-control-uac-the-easy-way-on-windows-vista/

It can also be re-enabled in the same way, though I'm not sure about how far you are willing to go in order to get this thing to run. It's a rather extreme measure, but this is the first instance of this problem that I've really seen come up, so I'm grasping as straws.

Failing that, you could try running it from a different location, say, C:\Dwarf Fortress\, but I really don't think that will help.

Heh, I'm at work, so it's hard to properly troubleshoot, sorry.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 20