Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20

Author Topic: UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finder (Post ideas and requests for the next release)  (Read 52925 times)

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finding Utility (W.I.P
« Reply #135 on: July 23, 2009, 01:49:13 am »

OK, no worries. You'll have to wait till I get home in a couple hours unfortunately. Sorry for any inconvenience this has caused and thank you for your patience.

Hopefully nothing major is at fault. I'd appreciate anyone else experiencing issues letting me know, too.

Cheers.
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 24, 2009, 01:41:57 am »

Okay, a little update. I tried again this time using a different DF (40d11, unaltered Mayday pack). And it works.

I also tried upgrading to 2.8 and ran it on the 40d13 that gave me problems before, and this time instead of rejecting a world at 4/129, it rejects and exits out of DF completely. It then opens up the Ultrafinder_Init.txt and keeps running until I exit from the icon in the tray.

Hope that helps!
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 24, 2009, 04:36:56 am »

Right, I think I have your problem. It would seem your tiles are not of a 1:1 aspect ratio. This throws my program off completely.

If you set your tiles to be 640:600 (given your current 80:50 grid setting) you should be fine :)

The problem with stretched tiles lies in the interpolation. Tiles may not be fixed widths across the board or the colours might be smoothed out when stretched. My program relies on colour information to do the things it does. Reading fudgy colours only leads to misdirection.

Hope this helps :) Sorry for the trouble.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 24, 2009, 06:00:50 am »

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou...

You have just decreased my wasted time of Genning maps over and over and over again from the days to a couple of minutes.
So long have I been searching for a Magma Pipe that is near some Sed layers and so long have I been NOT playing Dwarf Fortress in this search. And would you believe it I barely had time to play my PSP game Monster Hunter before your Utility had cycled through more maps then I do a day and found not one but two sites for me to chose from...

If I could I would shower you with more praises but then again I have a fortress to build...

The site is nice too, the one I picked that is, the first had no Mountain it was a flat area so that was put away, but the second was lovely, even had my fav style, only way to the Fortress is Via the Brook's path and into a nice opening that will allow entrance to the Fortress. Plans for the Future is to build an Entrance Castle over the Opening...

Again
Thankyou THANKYOU!!!
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 25, 2009, 03:20:40 pm »

This sounds like a very good tool here as I often spend hours trying to regen for a good place. Recently, I found a really good spot, but I backed out of it and couldn't find the spot again, even where I knew I was origionally.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 26, 2009, 02:45:22 am »

Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou...
-snip-
Again
Thankyou THANKYOU!!!

Thanks for this. Really. Positive feedback is what makes projects like this a pleasure and not a chore.

This sounds like a very good tool here as I often spend hours trying to regen for a good place. Recently, I found a really good spot, but I backed out of it and couldn't find the spot again, even where I knew I was origionally.

If you embarked then abandoned, then tried to search for the location again it will _not_ turn up. It will only show up under the reclaim option.

If you load the region up in legends then press "p" to export a region map it will also give you a bunch of text files in your main directory, one of which will contain the world gen parameters. Append these to the end of your data\init\world_gen.txt file and it will be added to the bottom of the world gen list. Gen it again, and search for the site with those features.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 02:47:15 am by GFXiNXS »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 26, 2009, 06:38:00 am »

I had actually backed out using the task manager and it's too late now as that worldgen is lost a long while ago.

Edit: Decided to try this out after hours of trying to find a good site.

Also, it would be nice if we could give a range of values like serene and mirthful.

One question though, for the savagery/evil, does it look for at least one biome with that value you selected?

edit: nm, found that out. It did find a site of what I wanted, but not enough flat area, so I think medium elevation setting could work?.....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:42:34 pm by smjjames »

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finding Utility (WIP)
« Reply #142 on: July 26, 2009, 09:19:38 pm »

Medium to low should keep you covered. If your looking for features specific to mountain biomes, though, you may be pushing your luck. Where the default finder accepts partial matches, UltraFinder only accepts *exact* matches of your criteria and rejects everything else.

Set UltraFinder to "Run Indefinately" and also to take screencaps of the embark area. Leave it running for a while (like when you duck out to the shops etc) then you should have a nice pile of worlds with the screencaps readily viewable so you can easily discern which is your disired site.

If you are searching for something that would normally be considered unreasonable (magma + sedimentary etc) it would be be wise to create a custom world gen parameter set which will tip the odds in your favour (maxing out the variation and shifting the weightings etc) otherwise UltraFinder will take quite some time to turn up any results (if any).

And yeah, with all the biome specific stuff (temperature/trees/vegetation/surroundings) it will make sure at least one of the biomes contains what you are looking for (so if you add "heavily forrested" to your search items you could very well have as little as 1 tile of woodland and the rest mountain biome - which is where having "run indefinately" turn up multiple results comes in handy). I may expand this in future releases to be able to contain multiple criteria.

Venatius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 27, 2009, 11:53:31 am »

I simply want to stop to express my awe and appreciation of this program. Anything that removes the "time" aspect of a process that has no other facets is welcome. So far it's working fine for me, a d13 user with the Mayday tileset. Well done! I lift my stein to you!

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 27, 2009, 05:21:26 pm »

I simply want to stop to express my awe and appreciation of this program. Anything that removes the "time" aspect of a process that has no other facets is welcome. So far it's working fine for me, a d13 user with the Mayday tileset. Well done! I lift my stein to you!

Cheers :) I always wanted full featured sites, and finding them was anything but fun given the sheer number of sites I'd have to filter through, and even then I mostly came up empty handed. Initially this program designed specific to my build, and only allowed searching of all features, which was great for my purposes, though I realised the community might want something a little more tangible, and maleable to their desires.

The original version was 427 lines of badly written code, and the community release, as it stands, is at 2682 lines of badly written code. Definately turned out to be a much bigger project than I originally envisioned.

Anyway, found a nice 5x5 site that I figured I'd share with you guys:
Features: Flux, Aquifer, River, Underground River, Underground Pool, Magma Pool, Magma Pipe, Chasm, Bottomless Pit, Hidden Fun Stuff, Sedimentary Layer with 3 bauxite clusters, trees, sand, access to all civs and 82 z-levels.
-This was made in Vanilla d13. Users of the Mayday package will result in different mineral layers/layouts.
-When prompted about grassland rejects, hit "p".
-Search for everything below flux and when it comes up with the site, nudge it down one to get the additional bauxite and more of the underground river.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #145 on: July 27, 2009, 07:12:11 pm »

I've still yet to test v2.8, I'm still loving a map that your program found awhile ago, but I've now got some major issues on that map, so looks like I'm going to be trying your new version. I'll provide feedback in the morning :)

Anyways, it may make things a little easier to leave a note on the map of this found location. On the embark-location-chooser-thing press n to leave a note. It will leave a flashing icon thing over the embark location of your choosing, just to make it a bit easier to find this location later.
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 27, 2009, 07:30:14 pm »

I've still yet to test v2.8, -snip- I'll provide feedback in the morning :)

Anyways, it may make things a little easier to leave a note on the map of this found location. On the embark-location-chooser-thing press n to leave a note. It will leave a flashing icon thing over the embark location of your choosing, just to make it a bit easier to find this location later.

Cheers. And that is a bloody good suggestion. Consider it in for the next release :)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 27, 2009, 11:51:35 pm »

Ah looks like someone beat me too it. (Lamp's Post)
I left the PC on while I was at work, bit upset that I didn't move on past 9amish (left just before 8), but probably my fault, looking over the sites it had found me, it was still annoying to find them...

Also, I ask for magma pipes only, so why is it giving me ones with the Pool and no pipe...???
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 28, 2009, 12:21:04 am »

-snip-
Also, I ask for magma pipes only, so why is it giving me ones with the Pool and no pipe...???

The only reason this could occur, I believe, is because you likely have "Magma Present" set to "Yes" in the "Extended Options" which basically plays out an either or scenario. It completely overrides the options set in "General Options" and scans for both a magma pipe and a magma pool, if only one is present, it will accept that world. If this is the case, the "Site Found" readout will say something along the lines of "..., No Magma Pipe, Magma Pool, ..."

TLDR: "Extended Options" override the settings in "General Options". If you set "River" and "Aquifer" to "Yes" then set "Infinite Water" to "Yes" it will automatically set "River", "Aquifer" AND "Underground River" to "Yes" and then run a check to see if at least one is present.

If you look through the siteX.txt files it should tell you which ones have magma pipes and which ones have pools. Hopefully one of them is a winner. Sorry for the confusion.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 28, 2009, 12:22:51 am »

Thats what I thought was happening...
I think I got one, seems like it was the first out of the 10 that were grabbed...
All others sucked though...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 20