Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20

Author Topic: UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finder (Post ideas and requests for the next release)  (Read 52816 times)

Angellus

just popped in to say keep up the good work!
it does the job brilliantly. can't wait to see the new features implemented.
what are the plans as far as the next release, wait for the next "full" version or release for the 40d14+ releases?
Question seconded.

Neoptolemus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This program is awesome except for the fact that Dwarf Fortress has a really frustrating bug where map features appear on the embark screen, tricking Ultrafinder into thinking it's a match when in reality they aren't there once you start playing.

I left ultrafinder on indefinite loop for a while, and it had 6 perfect sites waiting for me. Loaded each one up, found each area on the embark screen, everything looked perfect so I went ahead and embarked and what did I find? No chasm, no bottomless pit, no HFS and no lava. What the hell?! EVERY SINGLE ONE had 2 or more missing features that the embark screen swore blind was there.

I must be doing something wrong because nobody else seems to have this problem. Any clues?

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe it's a problem with your game? dunno. Try enabling features to show up on the embark screen.

Anyways, any news on this cool program?

tefalo

• Bay Watcher
  • Priest of Syrinx
    • View Profile

The 'trees' option should be able to find if there are trees or not, sort of Scarce|Woodland|Heavy in one option if that's possible to do.

elthar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Photo[gallery]

i tryed to make it work with 40d11+graphical set, but the script seems to be working partially, because after world generation it exits to main screen and then does nothing - i spent some time watching it doing nothing, then entered the generated world - after that, it set search criteria and.. well, was doing nothing from then on, again. Search did not found every criteria in one place and nothing happened, i spent like 5 minutes watching then went to main screen, and the script did nothing again, no window shown like on a screenshor or anything. is this something wrong i'm doing with it? it was for a first time i tryed to run it (kind of a n00b here, yes)

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'd recommend trying without the graphical set. You can always have a separate version of plain vanilla, generate the world in it, then transfer the save to your graphical version.

UltraFinder currently gauges whats happening via the colours on the screen. Graphical tilesets set off multiple shades of colours and as such, it may mistake light green for dark green etc because one of the shades in that tile is close enough a match with the different gradations.

And no, people, I am not dead. Just heavily overworked. I stopped playing Dwarf Fortress a few months after the release and this project merely extended that interest a little longer. With the impending (albeit far from completed) new release, I have been left feeling somewhat discouraged from this project. I'll likely lack the motivation to continue this project until I'm nabbed by the flurry of excitement, come the new version of Dwarf Fortress.

Sorry chaps and chips (those that pay attention to this meager offering of an application). I have my first holiday in 5 years coming up (I haven't had more than 4 days off since leaving high school, and even that's a stretch) and during that period I _may_ find the motivation to get something out there. We'll see. There is every chance that I'll hop back on this project... It's just a matter of when.

Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

AmateurD

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Hey. Sorry I'm late to the party. I've got an issue that hopefully is an easy fix. (Or a stupid oversight on my part.)

I'm having a reoccurring issue of the script stopping at the end of the site finder results. It starts up fine, generates a world, does its search, and shows the partial result. But instead of dumping the world and moving on to the next attempt, it hangs like it's waiting for something.

It's the same for 2.6 and 2.8, I've tried it with 40d, 40d13, and 40d16, so I have to assume it's something on my end. Running Vista.

init.txt
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

UltraFinder_Init.txt

Kyronea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

EDIT: Nevermind; I figured out the problem.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2009, 09:42:45 pm by Kyronea »
I have a woodcutter walking around who cancels his jobs and passes out every once and a while because he lost 3 of his 8 lungs

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
Re: UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finder (Post ideas and requests for the next releas
« Reply #278 on: December 07, 2009, 03:03:23 pm »

Hey. Sorry I'm late to the party. I've got an issue that hopefully is an easy fix. (Or a stupid oversight on my part.)

I'm having a reoccurring issue of the script stopping at the end of the site finder results. It starts up fine, generates a world, does its search, and shows the partial result. But instead of dumping the world and moving on to the next attempt, it hangs like it's waiting for something.

It's the same for 2.6 and 2.8, I've tried it with 40d, 40d13, and 40d16, so I have to assume it's something on my end. Running Vista.

init.txt

UltraFinder_Init.txt
Same thing happened to me.  It's a bummer, sort of defeated the purpose of the whole thing.  Which sucks because otherwise this utility would be amazing.

Dr. Hieronymous Alloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Have to say, I hope this returns in the next version. Even with the new underground, I don't relish the though of having to pump magma up 50 z-levels.

In an ideal world, I'd like to be able to search for specific layers, i.e., "sand," "obsidian" "marble."

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just want to bring the usage of this Utility up again...
For I want to use it but when ever I ask it to start it loads the game window and just leaves a black screen, where before it would go to 'About' menu instead of creating a world...

Is it cause I have mods in???

Edit: Nvm, its working now... Odd...
Are you still working on it though???
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:40:35 pm by Neyvn »
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Axecleaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

[bump]

Why is it so many really nice utilities and mods get abandoned... or at least fall way behind recent DF versions to the point of being unusable?  :(

I know for a fact that, at least in some cases, the utility/mod authors are still visiting the board. Although, I also realize that they have a life. I know how interests change and these things are more like gifts that they've graciously shared.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

[bump]

Why is it so many really nice utilities and mods get abandoned... or at least fall way behind recent DF versions to the point of being unusable?  :(

I know for a fact that, at least in some cases, the utility/mod authors are still visiting the board. Although, I also realize that they have a life. I know how interests change and these things are more like gifts that they've graciously shared.
We should probably make a code repository and invite them to share the source code for the utilities once they decide to stop updating so someone else could continue the project

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow. Didn't really expect this to pop back up. Ever. Good to know this was thought of as a nice utility in its time, though. It was really rough as guts as far as the code structure went. So rough, in fact, that I'd be embarrassed to release the code to public.

Given Toady's recent development log update stating "...I've added metal/soil to the site finder, allowed it to mark multiple hits (one per map square), allowed you to break out of it as it is chugging along and made the aquifer readout more consistent." I'd say most bases are covered. Other than spamming worlds, I'm not really sure resurrecting my code would benefit even a decent portion of the community. If I see a gaping void pop up in the future I may be swayed otherwise. Also, life has been throwing boulders at me lately making my time somewhat... limited and convoluted with prickly bits.
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch

So rough, in fact, that I'd be embarrassed to release the code to public.
Nah never be embarrassed, you created something which never existed. Your code might help someone else, or inspire someone to improve on it!
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20