Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20

Author Topic: UltraFinder 2.8 - Embark Finder (Post ideas and requests for the next release)  (Read 52826 times)

Aegis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, now I've added that block of GRID-related text to the init (Even though OpenGL/SDL DF 40d14 doesn't need it, meaning that it got removed from the init file!)
It begins creating a world, but then it just freezes once the rivers are formed. Doesn't it normally show history things or reject the thing?
I left it for a while, then aborted and it had about 150 years of history. Does that mean it was actually working?

As a test I generated a pocket world with indefinite generation on, but once it finished there was the usual accept/abort thing and it didn't go on.
I don't think UltraFinder detected that the world was done.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, as of current, d14 breaks a lot of things in my program. At this point I don't really have the time to try and fix those things, and with the *slowly* developing new version on its way, I'll just avoid the drama. I can't really check either, as d14 doesn't like running on my machine. I'd recommend reverting to an older version if possible.
Intel i7 980X 6-Cores @ 3.8GHz
6GB DDR3 8-8-8-24 @ 2000MHz
Radeon 5970 - Stock Clocks

Aegis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So what's the most compatible version?
d13?
By the way, can you copy worlds from d13 (Or earlier) to d14?

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Worlds/saves from as far back as v0.27.169.32a are currently compatible with 40d14.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, good luck, friend!

Edit: WTF, I don't see the 5th page!  ???  ::)

Oh well, I still say good luck!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile

So what's the most compatible version?
d13?
By the way, can you copy worlds from d13 (Or earlier) to d14?
Aye . . . assume so.  I think I've done something similar before (d# to d) but can't remember if I only imagined it or something.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Aegis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I downloaded SDL d13 and it worked perfectly!
Just change the d14 in the download link to a d13 :)
However, I have a suggestion.
I thought that by setting "SHUTDOWN COMPLETE" to force, the computer will automatically shut down when it's finished.
However, it only shuts down when you press Ok.
I think that this should be changed "Or a new option added", so that the computer automatically shuts down once it's done. Good for running overnight when you want a nearly impossible world.
UltraFinder could also take a screenshot of the final recommended location so you can find it when you turn the computer back on.
Thanks a lot GFXiNXS  for this awesome tool!

cl3ft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would like the ability to select or between multiple options ie. underground river or underground pool, cave or chasm etc.

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, there are a few nagging issues in the current release. It was my first AHK application, so there were bound to be issues (bad coding practices layered up to half decent coding practices piled up sky high without going through old code and revising it - it's sickening to look at).

With the new development, I am starting from scratch, and focusing heavily on layout and efficiency. The last version became a nightmare to make any additions to, as it was hard to find my way through the jungle of unnecessary Goto's and Loop's. Ugh.

Anyway, the idea is that the next version will function as stated without qualms. I'm trying to make the gathered data as tangible and maleable as possible so as to avoid confusion on the program's behalf. I'll also try and throw in some error reporting along with potential solutions so the user knows what to report when problems arise.

Still a long way off a release. I have a fairly demanding job that eats into my home time more frequently than not. Hopefully the wait will be worth it.

Cheers :)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yea, the new idea sounds like it would have it's own interface or something since its going to do more than the ingame finder has the capability of.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can't get this program to work no matter what I do. It just starts DF, and then moves my highlighted area (when I click on UltraFinder with my mouse, its highlighted) up two spaces, then it clicks on my raw folder, and bugs out.

If I run it from a shortcut, it activates a videogame. It seems to work by simulating keypresses, but it isn't smart enough to wait for DF to actually turn on. Thinking it might just be a problem with me needing a higher version (I had a 40d+, but I still didn't have the latest version), I upgraded, and then it just did the same thing...except instead of opening up a random folder, it always goes into the 'about' screen.

Edit: I read some earlier posts (I read the first few pages but not all 17) and I can see now that many versions of DF are not compatable with this. I'll just see if I can find a D13 somewhere.

Edit 2: Found d13. Tried the experimental version and the classical. I get farther this time - it actually goes into worldgen, but it stops after one world, with different problems every time.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 07:35:49 am by lastofthelight »

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com

lastofthelight, are you using v2.6c or v2.8? v2.8 seems to have problems with working very long for some people, try using v2.6c.
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Make sure you read the Readme on how to use the program...
Remeber to backup any saves you have as a Named file will make the finder stall, and anything named Region1(,etc) is deleted...
Leave the window as the only thing active, that means when it loads, step away from the computer. Click once (or twice) on the program then don't touch again till you are wanting to play again...

This so needs to be able to be run in the background...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

GFXiNXS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

-snip-
This so needs to be able to be run in the background...

I sense a *hint hint nudge nudge*. Sorry buddy, but I can't foresee this eventuating any time soon, - my "talent" doesn't cater for it :-X

Anyway, this project isn't dead. It's just moving at an ultra slow pace given recent stresses, my old keyboard dying, and a lack of motivation. I figured a small update would motivate me through peer pressure... *ahem*

A few problems. The program scans for images whilst ignoring magenta so as to discern the foreground from the background. Why is this an issue you ask? Well, fair chaps (and chips), I present to you exhibit A:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This, in turn, explains the following:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Whilst not being too much of a hassle as far as numbers and text go, all 256 characters are a bit of a chore.

This, however is not _too_ big a deal as I have the program working in the following way (gross oversimplification):
Code: [Select]
scanColour(tileX,tileY)
if nothing registers, return " ".
else
scanTile(characterGroup, in subDirectory scanColour)
Where characterGroup is either "numbers", "letters", "symbols", "all" etc. This obviously doesn't work in the instance of the character having a coloured background, however, since this is primarily for gathering world gen information, this won't pose an issue.

Outputting a whole screen of text takes a bit of time with the code completely unoptimized (I initially aimed primarily at getting tangible results so as to motivate me), though I can see plenty of room for improvement. Also, typically I won't be converting the entire screen to text, just portions of it, aimed at specifically letters or numbers (which requires checking against considerably less tiles).

Also, the dll I'm using to convert tilesets also seems to HATE non-square tilesets. It outputs them at the right resolution; just flipped vertically, and completely uncoloured. I've tried forcing a vertical flip, but it still refuses to colour the tiles. I have an idea of how to counter this, though it seems like a lot of work for something that should technically be rather straight forward. Square tilesets are fine.

Anyway, thats that for now. Cheers to those who still tune in :)

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com

DOOO ITTT DOOOO ITTTT. /end peer pressure.

Anyways, you're doing a great job! I'd offer help, but as of now all I can do is VB.net and very tiny bits of C/++ (What is this coded in, again?).

With the scanning of tile sets, can't you just load a blank black background between scans, so that the old letter doesn't get shown underneath the new one? Or am I just not understanding how this works...
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 20