Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: survival games  (Read 15496 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: survival games
« Reply #120 on: July 08, 2009, 04:09:42 am »

Ok, Sowelu, I ran it but now it says "This system does not support fullscreen" and closes it. Is there a technical problems forum or do you know whats wrong?

preferably using DOSbox.

Sounds like you're on Vista, perhaps.  You need to use DOSbox or it won't work.

I have heard of that before.....but im not gonna download it just to download one game that i may or may not like. Seriously, just make a Vista compatable one.

also, the game that sparked this interest was the Alien vs Predator RTS game. Human mode sucked, Predator mode was tiring, but the alien mode was awsome. You had a queen and you had to protect the queen and move around and dodge some humans while "infecting" others. It was just fun.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 08, 2009, 08:33:51 am »

Here's another piece of advise. Stop using so many commas.

It's advice...

(Couldn't help myself)
I personally like many commas. They are necessary in russian if you want to build a complex sentence, so I feel a bit uncomfortable about english not using them between parts of a sentence.

Advice is a noun
Advise is a verb

He meant Advice and used Advise
Here's another piece of advise. Stop using so many commas.

It's advice...

(Couldn't help myself)

According to Firefox, it's correct. As well as Advice.

Hold on... Advise is a verb. Advice is a noun...

Right. I'll admit to an honest GRAMMATICAL error like a man. This is what happens when I get pissed off.

It's a really terrible part of English. Where two words meaning different things are spelled almost the same and sound almost the same.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 08, 2009, 09:51:30 am »

and mean almost the same...

It's a trivial error, really

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 08, 2009, 10:15:47 am »

I learned english by writing and reading it, and I hardly ever made mistakes regarding they're, their, there, advice, advise, farther, further, then, than and other tricky bastards.
Now that I'm speaking it more often, these mistakes are beginning to sneak into my writing.

It seems like knowing the words by their spelling causes less mistakes than knowing the words by their sound.  Not surprising, as their spelling is what makes them stand apart most. (besides meaning)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 08, 2009, 12:59:52 pm »

Ok, Sowelu, I ran it but now it says "This system does not support fullscreen" and closes it. Is there a technical problems forum or do you know whats wrong?

preferably using DOSbox.

Sounds like you're on Vista, perhaps.  You need to use DOSbox or it won't work.

I have heard of that before.....but im not gonna download it just to download one game that i may or may not like. Seriously, just make a Vista compatable one.

Are you kidding me?  This game is from 1984.  It's AMAZING technology for its time, but still.  You're going to want DOSbox to run, oh, almost every game made before 1996-1997 that had any graphics at all.  You've got half the entire history of PC gaming available to you if you download one little program!  Hell, *STEAM* distributes DOSbox with some of its games (though it's not easy to run your own on their version, it's trivial to get your own copy).

Just go to www.dosbox.com, get the Vista copy, run it...
then in the prompt type "mount c e:\games\gamedir" (replacing e:\games\gamedir with whatever your game directory is), then "c:", then whatever the name of your game is.  It's that easy, and suddenly, you get 10+ years of gaming that you never had access to...years that, in many ways, were the golden age of gaming.

Okay, you might not like Wilderness, but it's still the most realistic survival game I've played and that's really saying something.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 08, 2009, 06:56:12 pm »

Yeah, your going to need DOSbox if you want to play games from the golden age. And as the title implies, thats the best age of all.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 08, 2009, 07:47:23 pm »

i better find tons of awomse games because of this because i cant figure out how to use it...where is the manual? or specific instructions on how to do it for wilderness would be nice.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 08, 2009, 07:52:00 pm »

I did, in fact, give you pretty specific instructions...

Okay.  Wilderness.  Unzip it to c:\games\wilder\

Get DOSbox here: http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/DOSBox0.73-win32-installer.exe?download

Install DOSbox into c:\DOSbox-0.73\

In Windows, go into c:\DOSbox-0.73\ and run 'dosbox.exe'.  You should get a nifty little DOSbox window.

In that window, type these things, in order:

mount c c:\games\wilder
c:
wild

That will run the game.  Once you're in Wilderness, you can quickstart by using the first option.  And yes.  There are lots of awesome games that DOSbox will help you run.

The Wilderness manual is on the same page you download Wilderness from.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 08, 2009, 07:57:02 pm »

huh, apparenlty mount c c:\games\wilder doesnt exist, even though im looking atg the game as im doing this.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 08, 2009, 08:12:13 pm »

Did you extract it to that specific folder, and (more importantly) are you typing the 'mount' command in DOSbox and not just in a command prompt window?

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 08, 2009, 08:31:54 pm »

I read the whole topic, just skipped one or two pages, and read many crap about propper grammar and punctualization and all that...crap. But anyway, did anyone suggested UNREAL WORLD RPG?

I stopped playing it, but I had a lot of fun with it..

AND RUN IF YOU SEE A WILD DOG
they bite your throat and you die.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 08, 2009, 08:42:15 pm »

Stranded 2.
It sucks.
UnReal World could be consider one.
Survival Kids is interesting.
Yup.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 08, 2009, 08:44:28 pm »

Survival Kids is really fun, actually. I spent a morning playing it and really enjoyed it.

This Wilderness game looks fascinating. The realism is just going to get me killed faster, though. My heart rate is like... 63.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 08, 2009, 09:18:50 pm »

I played Survival Kids for a while.  It was pretty neat!

The realistic-character in Wilderness is neat.  Of course you can cheat and it's even encouraged if you suck and want to play a non-sucky character, but it's kind of fun to realize how very much you DON'T want to go climbing mountains if you're out of shape, when your survival depends on it.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 08, 2009, 09:36:13 pm »

The Roguelike Omega also has an additional, "put yourself in the game" mode. In addition to not climbing mountains, I shouldn't explore orchid hedges or jump into pools of chaos!

I don't want to cheat... I think I'm going to have to get into better shape to play Wilderness.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11