Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11

Author Topic: survival games  (Read 15502 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: survival games
« Reply #105 on: July 07, 2009, 03:04:11 pm »

Micro, you do seriously screw up a lot of your clauses, you use weird constructions sometimes, it's not always easy to tell what previous parts of your phrase you are referring to.  You ARE hard to read, for more reasons than capitalization and commas.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 07, 2009, 03:05:14 pm »

http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article/46-simulation/21029

Here's the link I used to get to the page with the game.  It ends with .org, so make sure there's no malicious code redirecting you or anything.

just tried the link, and it said something about needing to insert the original diskette into drive A....
so i stopped the download. Whats up with this drive A diskette thing?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 07, 2009, 04:15:09 pm »

Here's another piece of advise. Stop using so many commas.

It's advice...

(Couldn't help myself)

According to Firefox, it's correct. As well as Advice.

Hold on... Advise is a verb. Advice is a noun...

Right. I'll admit to an honest GRAMMATICAL error like a man. This is what happens when I get pissed off.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 07, 2009, 04:26:01 pm »

http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article/46-simulation/21029

Here's the link I used to get to the page with the game.  It ends with .org, so make sure there's no malicious code redirecting you or anything.

just tried the link, and it said something about needing to insert the original diskette into drive A....
so i stopped the download. Whats up with this drive A diskette thing?

Don't install it, just unzip it to a folder and run WILD.EXE in that folder, preferably using DOSbox.

Edit:  YOU WILL WANT TO READ THE MANUAL.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 04:30:35 pm by Sowelu »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 07, 2009, 04:34:40 pm »

Hell yeah i make gramical errors; I just refuse to correct them.

And why are you even continuing with this? Screaming how much you hate bad grammar isn't gonna do anything.

Ok, Sowelu, I ran it but now it says "This system does not support fullscreen" and closes it. Is there a technical problems forum or do you know whats wrong?

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 07, 2009, 04:42:21 pm »

Thought I'd look into this thread.

Man, Notorium and Malayalam are both great looking games.

I remember this custom gamemode and map for Warcraft III: Frozen Throne.
It had the factor where you eated to survive, and what you ate limited/increased your choices of evolution to the next stage. It was Evolution something...

The actual surviving though wasn't present, as it was a round-based game, to see who could survive and evolve, to eventually take down the other players.

I don't know if there is a game out there that supports evolution and survival and realism though. There are quite a few that support evolution (Notorium, Spore, Evo mod, various games with minor evolution, etc.) Alot that support survival (Malayalam, Stranded 2, Notorium, etc.) and I don't think there are games that have witty traps and tools that you can make and become the next MacGyver.

Monster Hunter  The concept of Monster Hunter comes close to The Survival element, but it doesn't have the fight against nature.

There are many a game that attempt survival, but end up as mindless droll.

So what SHOULD a survival game have?
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 07, 2009, 05:24:03 pm »

Ok, Sowelu, I ran it but now it says "This system does not support fullscreen" and closes it. Is there a technical problems forum or do you know whats wrong?

preferably using DOSbox.

Sounds like you're on Vista, perhaps.  You need to use DOSbox or it won't work.

EDIT:  Oh god, if you remove clothes (due to heat, etc) make sure you pick it back up again since removing puts it on the ground.  Mind you, my crash site was very hot in may and I was dealing with hyperthermia, but I ended up walking the second half of my journey without a shirt or parka, just a raincoat.

And I reiterate, you WILL want to read the manual...but early commands are:
i (list inventory)
get [stuff] (move stuff from 'GND' or '-G' status to 'PACK' or '-P')
make sure you 'get backpack'!
v (return to 'view' mode)
pan left
pan right
look sun
look ahead
status (checks all kinds of stuff)
topo (look at the map, and then press 's' to zoom in.  one of the quadrants has a black-and-purple box, that is the ranger station and it's your goal.  press 'v' to return)
walk (move ahead for some number of hours in the direction you are facing)

Walk close enough to the ranger station, and you'll see it!  You may have to be very close, because the map is a VERY big area.  If you're sure you're in the right place but it isn't there, you're probably actually in the wrong place!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 05:35:52 pm by Sowelu »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 07, 2009, 05:44:52 pm »

I don't get why you guys keep complaining about Micro's grammar, I can understand it perfectly without having to reread it for a second time. I've seen way worse and before I'm going to get targeted by the angry mob of Grammar Nazis, English is not my native language so Tsch  ;)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 07, 2009, 06:06:02 pm »

It's advice...

(Couldn't help myself)
I personally like many commas. They are necessary in russian if you want to build a complex sentence, so I feel a bit uncomfortable about english not using them between parts of a sentence.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 07, 2009, 08:28:28 pm »

It's advice...

(Couldn't help myself)
I personally like many commas. They are necessary in russian if you want to build a complex sentence, so I feel a bit uncomfortable about english not using them between parts of a sentence.

Advice is a noun
Advise is a verb

He meant Advice and used Advise

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 07, 2009, 08:46:35 pm »

God lord people this isent a topic about grammer.
If you love grammer so much you can go make your own topic about it and discuss it there.

Lots of skills you can advance in and use in the feild, survival isent all about having the best items/overwhelming power.

But survival games should also have a enormous ammount of interaction with the world, everything that you find should have dozens of possible uses. EVERYTHING should be able to be combined in some way(be it more or less usefull)

Anyway I cant think of anything else right now, but yeah. Thats what I think survival games should be all about.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 07, 2009, 08:48:47 pm »

One important aspect would be EMOTION. Especially Survival Kids. That kid was acting happy even though his dad died and he's stuck on an island. But EMOTION would, if it was all the way down, cause the character to go melancholy otherwide, low emotion would just cause the character to work slower and slower.
HUNGER and THIRST. I've seen some games that allows you to eat and drink(especially drink), but no adverse effects from not doing either for a long time.
SCAVENGING. Stranded II lets you punch stone out of rocks and some games don't even let you use stone to make axes. Also, non-tree plants are usually non-existent but you should be able to go around looking for food.
FARMING. Stranded II has a shitty farming system. Some realistic farming, like having to water the plants, would enhance these games.
BREEDING. Again, Stranded II has this, but all you do it build this small hut and it auto-spawns kiwis after a certain amount of time.
MULTIPLE PEOPLE. A lot of survival games lack a partner. There is a possibility that another person might be able to survive.
BEING SAVED OR "ADDING PEOPLE." The possibility of being save would make a game like this good. Also, the rare possibility of another accident happening and more people joining you would be awesome.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 07, 2009, 08:49:32 pm »

If there's a game like stranded but with a hell of a lot more items and perhaps a few more aspects of gameplay,that would be great.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 07, 2009, 08:51:31 pm »

Hey, if I make a forum game about survival, would anyone join?

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #119 on: July 07, 2009, 09:18:57 pm »

and I don't think there are games that have witty traps and tools that you can make and become the next MacGyver.

In a way, SS13 is better for this than many games.

There was this great round of traitor a day or two ago, where things were generally under control, the traitor was unknown until the end(they were killed less than one minute before winning as they decided to end with an assault on the last few surviving crew rather than faking being non-traitor and winning(objective: destroy 80% of plasma canisters).
The survival aspect was that there was a meteor shower some time in the middle, and the rush to repair the station. It WAS entirely sealed again, rather than everyone wimping out and fleeing, and the round lasted well over an hour.

It isn't always even related to surviving, but often...
Eh?
Eh!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 11