Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: survival games  (Read 15503 times)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: survival games
« Reply #90 on: July 07, 2009, 08:59:49 am »

When I click that link, I see a purple site with a cute doggie with a space helmet.
Beneath the description of the game, there's a link to "Wilder.zip".
Clicking it brings me to a "Your download will start in 5 secs..." page, which starts my download.  The linky on this page also works.

If you get a different site, check your PC for spyware and clear your cache.

I dont see the link your talking about. But I did realize there is an HOTUD.net, and .org.....so maybe a .us or.com? could you just link the page here?

AND I STILL CANT GET THE NOTRIUM MOD!!!!! If someone who has done this before would please tell me excarlt what you did.
Go into you notrium folder. If you cant find the folder, then make a game folder and install all your games there!

Then go into data, and unpack the mod there. The mod is supposed to be in its own folder so dont take the stuff out.

It pretty much goes notrium>data>mod name>mods files
the thing is when i search all the files on my computer 2 Notrium folders show up, one is empty and one had setup/uninstall/play the game/ readme/nothing to do with data. It seems i dont have  a Notrium data folder, as i searched just "data" and the oldest one is from DF from last month

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 07, 2009, 09:09:08 am »

http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article/46-simulation/21029

Here's the link I used to get to the page with the game.  It ends with .org, so make sure there's no malicious code redirecting you or anything.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 07, 2009, 09:18:20 am »

AND I STILL CANT GET THE NOTRIUM MOD!!!!! If someone who has done this before would please tell me excarlt what you did.
Go into you notrium folder. If you cant find the folder, then make a game folder and install all your games there!

Then go into data, and unpack the mod there. The mod is supposed to be in its own folder so dont take the stuff out.

It pretty much goes notrium>data>mod name>mods files
the thing is when i search all the files on my computer 2 Notrium folders show up, one is empty and one had setup/uninstall/play the game/ readme/nothing to do with data. It seems i dont have  a Notrium data folder, as i searched just "data" and the oldest one is from DF from last month
Then reinstall it, or redownload it if that doesnt work.

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 07, 2009, 09:47:09 am »

I went back and looked and fixed my post, i found 3 capitalization errors and 1 missing '. (It's called an apostrophe.)

If you really have trouble reading that then i suggest you take measures to downgrade your punctualization. As you have a problem.

All i can really see, when people start trying to complain about grammar, is that they realized they made a mistake or are losing an argument and are trying to hide it. Such as the guy who cursed in every other sentence. But hey, at least he had proper grammar.

I also looked for Hengband, and i found more a typical dungeon game then this golem game that you seem to be talking about, are you sure you've got the right game?

I think a good aspect of a survival game would be random events, so you cant just set up in one place unless it takes a VERY large amount of effort and time and maybe a little luck; And maybe even then it wouldnt completly safe. Keep moving, keep adapting. I dont care about the graphics either as log as its content is immersive.

It was obvious you TRIED to type properly this time.

I hate to nitpick, but you're not exactly qualified to find mistakes in grammar and spelling. (I'm not exactly the superior overlord of Oxford either, but I'd wager my English is better than yours.) Thus, I bolded all the mistakes I could see in THIS post. Link me to the post you checked and I'll gladly point out the mistakes in that one. I also highlighted poor spelling.

You need to stop trying to defend yourself like this. You seriously underestimate how hard you are to understand.

Here's another piece of advise. Stop using so many commas.

I'm apologizing in advance if my post sounded patronizing. I'm just sick and tired of having to read your posts twice to understand them. You use so many run-on sentences, so many misplaced words, so much poor grammar and Etc. It's very annoying. English is my 3rd language for fucks sake. It's your NATIVE language! How can you be THAT BAD at it?!
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2009, 10:16:48 am »

Yanlin, your signature is not really true.  Things that are defined by the lack of other things do exist, like a hole in the wall, or the colour yellow.  The absence of light exists, there are lots of places with no light.  If darkness did not exist, it would be impossible to have a place with no light.

I'm sorry, but your writing style is indeed kinda difficult and cumbersome to read, Micro102.  The post Yanlin quoted was a lot more better though, despite the small flaws.

Anyways, as for survival games... Survival in real life isn't very fun in the long run, actually.  Once you've got your bearings it becomes a repetitive chore of finding food and fixing your shelter.  Something has to happen once in a while, so you'd need a storyline or quest.  But you don't want your quest to be hampered by having to eat and find all the time, so...
I think "Survival horror" would be a great alternative.  Notrium is kinda survival horror with added food and less scary horror.
Limited ammo/food/resources and always being hunted down, that's what survival should be about in order to be interesting in the long run.  But good luck finding a game like that without zombies or aliens. :/

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2009, 10:24:37 am »

Too many survival horror.
But a lot of them are real crap.
I'm not sure about L4D, though.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2009, 10:32:46 am »

Yanlin, your signature is not really true.  Things that are defined by the lack of other things do exist, like a hole in the wall, or the colour yellow.  The absence of light exists, there are lots of places with no light.  If darkness did not exist, it would be impossible to have a place with no light.

Do you know the definition of "existence"?

It has to be made out of something. Energy or matter.

Darkness is a lack of something. Thus, it does not exist.

Incidentally, god doesn't exist as well.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2009, 10:35:43 am »

Anyway like I said before, anyone know any obscure survival game that doesnt take place on an island(and no aliens)?

I think I posted this in another topic.  It's worth suffering through the old-fashioned graphics and interface, because it's quite unique.  http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article/46-simulation/21029

does it have its own story line? or is it strictly survive and escape alive?

There's no story whatsoever in that game (Wilderness: A Survival Adventure), beyond like...the first five seconds.  Here's the story:  Your plane crashes in the wilderness.  You have a topographical map that is marked with the location of the ranger station (and thus aid/a telephone).  Get there.

Different difficulty levels largely control how much stuff is salvagable from your plane...from 'tons of food, a compass, warm wool clothes, plenty of matches' to 'What do you mean I'm wearing summer clothes on a snowy mountain, and all I have is the map and NOTHING ELSE'.  Of course the weather is also important to consider.  You travel slower in some terrain than others, slopes are important, you won't find wood above the treeline, there's bears to worry about, most types of food spoil over time...

Oh, and when you get injured, you might just see "Your leg is swollen and it hurts to walk on".  Does that mean it's broken?  DOES IT?  You don't know!  The bones aren't sticking out of the skin, but it might be, or it might just be a bad sprain!  Is it worth the time to splint it properly?  Is it going to get infected, so you should stop worrying about food and just risk making it to safety as soon as possible?  Or is it going to get better in a couple hours by itself?

Sometimes you have to set up a shelter if the weather is going to be *BAD* for a few days, or if you're sick and think you're better off recovering before continuing your trek.  But you won't be building tools or living space in any meaningful fashion.  There's usually more stuff at the plane than you can carry, but most of it just isn't useful for the task of getting to where you need to go.

Too many survival horror.
But a lot of them are real crap.
I'm not sure about L4D, though.

Any game that gives you infinite pistol ammo, and has caches of infinite ammo for your other weapons, is not survival horror.  Hell, most games that let you dual wield pistols aren't survival horror.  L4D is great survival horror the first few times you play, but after that, it totally fails.  Still fun horror, but not SURVIVAL horror.  (Hell--if someone dies, you'll find an identical party member locked in a closet a little later in a level, waiting to be rescued.  After you've been stressing out about rationing your health kits and going slowly to not risk anything, suddenly the whole game feels amazingly anticlimactic after that.  Suddenly it's like a Final Fantasy game, where nobody's REALLY dead unless everyone dies at the same time.)
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 10:41:15 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2009, 11:07:23 am »

Do you know the definition of "existence"?

It has to be made out of something. Energy or matter.

Darkness is a lack of something. Thus, it does not exist.

Incidentally, god doesn't exist as well.

Apparently, you don't.
Ideas, concepts, minds, shapes, words, feelings and a lot more exist.  If it can be perceived, it exists.  This includes vacuum, darkness, coldness, rectangles, colours, distance,...
Check the wikipedia article.
Limiting stuff that exists to energy and matter is extremely short-sighted and probably only applies to physics.  In the world in general, everything you can see, hear or think about exists, even if it's just as a thought or concept.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2009, 12:46:44 pm »

http://www.hotud.org/component/content/article/46-simulation/21029

Here's the link I used to get to the page with the game.  It ends with .org, so make sure there's no malicious code redirecting you or anything.
Ooooooooo, i thought you were talking about that other game, SchiffBruch.

Also lets please not derail this thread.

And Yanlin, stuff it, if you dont like my grammar then dont read my posts. I dont feel like nitpitcking everyone of my posts for grammar. And English being your 3rd language is probably the reason you cant understand It well. I'll start throwing in some better grammar overtime but just lay off it, its getting old.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2009, 12:47:21 pm »

Here's another piece of advise. Stop using so many commas.

It's advice...

(Couldn't help myself)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2009, 12:59:37 pm »

Micro, your being indignant about your massive failings in the grammar department has gone from "slightly annoying, but understandable" to "incredibly goddamn annoying".  Stop telling people not to be pissed off at you.  They have every reason to be.  You are INSULTING people because YOUR grammar sucks?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2009, 01:06:11 pm »

There are a few things I would really like to say right now, but I know in my heart that saying them won't do any good.

Now, survival horror.

I think that, done properly, this could quite easily be my favorite genre, since it relies on having a very strong, pervasive atmosphere (something I admire).  The only problem is that nobody seems to get it right.

I would like to forward my own suggestion, although it is in no way reliable:  Zombie Master.

Zombie Master is a mod for HL2, and despite the generally "unfinished" look of everything in the game and the sometimes staggeringly bad level design, I find that it can be an incredibly immersive experience if it's played right.

All depending on who your fellow survivors are and who the zombie master is, you may end up with either a complete batshit clusterf*k with some numbnut standing on a chair for three hours while his buddies crouch-hop in circles around each other waggling the barrels of their guns around to "Rock Lobster" by the B52's, a pulse-pounding fight for your life as hordes of the walking dead close in from all sides and you're forced to make every shot count as the realization sinks in that there are far more zombies than bullets in this neck of the woods, or it could be a nerve-wracking treasure hunt through eerily quiet corridors as you go down into the sublevels in search of a can of fuel for the generator, always keeping your ears open for the distinctive patter of a hunter zombie's footsteps in the dark.

Some ZM's like to spam out hordes of weakling zombies as a bullet sponge, playing a war of attrition against the survivors, while others (like myself) would much rather spend their time freaking the living daylights out of the last remnants of humanity so that they panic and do something stupid just as you spring your ambush and hem them in on all sides.

It's a round-based multiplayer game, but it can turn into a race for survival if things pan out the right way.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2009, 01:11:04 pm »

I think Doom 1/2 are awesome survival horror if you make the enemies respawn.  Not real nightmare mode though, because fast monsters with that kind of damage are just unfair for a normal fun game that you expect to beat on the fly, instead of choreographing your entire path through the game.  But--hey, some level designs are pretty scary, and Doom is EASY to run out of bullets in, which is just the way it should be.  Kill only what you need to.

Respawning monsters, first or second difficulty, and it's a moderate-to-hard game with new life in it.

...Zombie Master sounds like it's going to be my new favorite game as soon as I get home from work.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2009, 02:53:08 pm »

Micro, your being indignant about your massive failings in the grammar department has gone from "slightly annoying, but understandable" to "incredibly goddamn annoying".  Stop telling people not to be pissed off at you.  They have every reason to be.  You are INSULTING people because YOUR grammar sucks?

I wouldn't have anything to complain about if i was seriously screwing stuff up. But CAPITILIZATION and EXTRA COMMAS are not things that hinder your ability to read. The complaining also seems to have gotten worse even though i have been changing the way i type and its really ticking me off that it's brought up every time someone tried to dodge something.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11