Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11

Author Topic: survival games  (Read 15508 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: survival games
« Reply #60 on: July 06, 2009, 10:26:11 am »

Having frequented forums where no two people have the same native language, I must say, I'd take three people with more enthusiasm than typing skills over one perfectly literate jerk. :/

On the actual topic at hand, I'm not sure you'll find any other games that combine playing with an alien with survival gameplay. Survival games aren't really a huge genre at all.

Now, if it's the playing as an alien you're most interested in I can recommend Natural Selection, but it's about as far from survival as you can get. It's a Half-life 1 online team-based multiplayer mod, but one team consists of aliens who can evolve into different forms to jump, wall-walk, fly, and eventually "mutate" new skills like invisibility and armor. The other team is human marines. Each game of it only lasts a couple of hours tops, though, and then you start from scratch.

On the actual survival game side, there's a whole series of stranded-on-an-island survival games for DS called Lost in Blue. I haven't managed to track one down yet so I can't say how it is firsthand, but it looks pretty good.

Besides that and what's already been mentioned, I haven't found anything myself, and I've been looking for a while.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2009, 10:33:25 am »

Lost in Blue is a DS game, with all that it implies.  It's fun, full of short challenges, written by the Japanese, and gets esoteric later on.

I had fun, didn't beat it, and didn't buy the sequels (there's one for Wii now)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2009, 12:54:07 pm »

You might like the Hengband (I think) race called the Construct or Golem or something-like-that, shouldn't be too hard to spot (unless I got the mod wrong and it's actually Steamband or something).  Instead of gaining XP, they improve their *level itself* by equipping better stuff, essentially using it to upgrade their core components.  For some reason I think this might appeal.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2009, 02:29:01 pm »

Seriously though, I'm making fun of every single American that behaves like Micro. This is not instant messaging. This is a forum. Think your post through. You're not in a hurry.

Hell I type like this in IMs as well.
What if he is in a hurry though? What if his house is on fire? :o

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 06, 2009, 02:30:56 pm »

Im doubtful that it is CowOfDoom.

Its not like its hard to use proper grammar and punctuation.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 06, 2009, 02:38:40 pm »

Its not like its hard to use proper grammar and punctuation.
Its not really that hard to read things with poor grammar and punctuation either as long as its not excessive.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 06, 2009, 02:40:17 pm »

Touche.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 06, 2009, 02:40:25 pm »

It's also not hard to sit on a bus when the guy next to you is having a cell phone conversation at the top of his lungs.

It is, however, ANNOYING AS HELL.

This is the internet; politeness demands grammar and spelling.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 06, 2009, 04:40:55 pm »

The lost in blue series is ok but not great. The original is fairly easy, to the point where in one day, I gathered enough food, risk free, for about 30 days worth of eating. There are almost no threats, furniture is easy to make, and the only really hard part are the puzzles. That said, it is a fairly decent game.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 06, 2009, 05:18:04 pm »

What would you want in a difficult survival game?

In these games, usually you work to build up a good infrastructure (farms, or captive animals, or just berry bushes; good tools) and then you're set and not much bad can happen to you.

Do you make the infrastructure harder to set up?  Well, now you just need a walkthrough and you're golden.  Do you make random events happen to trash your hard work?  Hell, I know I'd stop playing after the second hurricane.  And if you can't build up any infrastructure, the game starts to lack depth--look at the Wolf and Lion games by Sanctuary Woods, you never really get ahead in those games, you're only keeping pace with mortality.

It might be neat to have a survival game where you were constantly on the move, settling only for a limited time, forced to travel light, and your challenges determined by where you settle next--so your infrastructure is limited to what you develop that season, and what you can carry with you.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 06, 2009, 05:20:16 pm »

Another survival game that would be cool is surviving a commercial jet crash.  If you could choose what sort of character to play, and how to play, save people or let them die, etc... That would be awesome.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 06, 2009, 05:32:06 pm »

I went back and looked and fixed my post, i found 3 capitalization errors and 1 missing '.

If you really have trouble reading that then i suggest you take measures to downgrade your punctualization. As you have a problem.

All i can really see, when people start trying to complain about grammar, is that they realized they made a mistake or are losing an argument and are trying to hide it. Such as the guy who cursed in every other sentence. But hey, at least he had proper grammar.

I also looked for Hengband, and i found more a typical dungeon game then this golem game that you seem to be talking about, are you sure you've got the right game?

I think a good aspect of a survival game would be random events, so you cant just set up in one place unless it takes a VERY large amount of effort and time and maybe a little luck; And maybe even then it wouldnt completly safe. Keep moving, keep adapting. I dont care about the graphics either as log as its content is immersive.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 06, 2009, 05:41:06 pm »

No, I mean Lost in Blue, at least the first one, has almost no ways to die, except lack of food or water. Up until the very endgame, those are your only problem, and there are pitifully easy to acquire vast quantities of. In the endgame, it pretty much turns into a stealth game where being caught = losing.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 06, 2009, 05:49:54 pm »

Ok, am trying to download mods for Notrium, but when i open the folder i get a data, sound, and textures folders with a readme. the readme doesnt tell me where to put the other folders. and i cant find a Notrium folder either. Do i just drag them over the Play Notrium desktop link?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 06, 2009, 06:15:51 pm »

You know what I would like to play? A survival game that puts you in the middle of the atlantic ocean and all you have to survive is your fists, your wits, and the cloths on your back.

Yeah...

Im gonna make that game.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11