Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Do you like dubbing?  (Read 3292 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Do you like dubbing?
« on: July 02, 2009, 10:53:29 pm »

Say, I'm watching an Italian film from the 80's and it's all dubbed in English. I can't stand such things. I hate how the lips move out of sync from the voices, the voices don't match the people, etc. etc. It's just not the same, it's totally wrong. No matter how good the dubbing is, it just isn't the same experience as it was meant to be.

I'm one of those hardcore people who hate everything dubbed. Doesn't matter what languages or how old. I can't stand it. I can't stand Asterix dubbed in English. I can't stand Doraemon dubbed in Malay. I can't stand Star Wars dubbed in Japanese. But a lot of people prefer dubs over subtitles and this baffles my mind. Why? Is it hard to read the subtitles? Is it because it's easier to understand? Or is it because of a fear of alien languages and culture?

But then people love to jump on guys like me, saying we love other cultures more than our own. If you say you like a game in the original Japanese voices, they call you a freakshow. If you say you like a movie with the original voice actors, they call you a square. Is it so wrong? It seems to me like the ones who are more paranoid and close minded are the ones who hate dubs so much.

I honestly don't get it and would like your input, those of you who like dubs, if there are any here. Given a show with dubbing and / or subtitles of equal quality, which would you prefer?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Do you like dubbing?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 10:56:06 pm »

The movie Wasabi. One simply cannot watch a movie with Jean Reno in it being dubbed. You have to keep him French. There is simply nobody badass enough that has a French accent to voice Jean Reno.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:57:35 pm »

I hate dubbing... but recently I found out... "blues brothers" is a LOT more funny in german than it is in english. Even the voices are better  :o

and when the singing starts, its original sound again, so its all good.

but thats a pretty rare exception. most dubbed stuff is crap.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 11:01:56 pm »

I like fansub way more than dub.

And it does not hep that the local station's dub teams SUCKS.

HARD.

WHY WHY OH WHY CAN'T WE KEEP THE JAPANESE VOICE? I always switch to Japanese language when I watch Animax. Why can't we do it in the national television?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 11:02:16 pm »

Subtitles are so much better.
Shoes...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:36:53 pm »

I love fansubs in anime, the dubs often have shitty voices and get changed in some way and not staying true.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 11:41:55 pm »

I like a good Dubbing! Sometimes even more then the source material.

Though I hate a bad dubbing.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 12:02:00 am »

Dubbing from another language to English? Almost always terrible.

Watching Batman in Spanish? ALWAYS SO GREAT.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 12:12:58 am »

It's not just voices too! Sometimes they'll change the soundtrack. Seriously I can't watch Street Fighter II The Animated Movie in Japanese. Sure it has better voice acting, but I love me some industrial music. All though I think this is more my taste in music than anything else.

I've never really understand Subs are better than Dubs argument. Personally I think some of it has to do with what you watched it in first. Second the quality of the voice actors (*Cough* Shinji *cough* Evangelion *cough*) and third the abilities of the translators. Sometimes its good, sometimes... not so good.

I also want to point out that Metal Gear: Twin Snakes for the game cube was released in Japan WITHOUT JAPANESE VOICES. It only had the English voices!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 12:17:32 am by Mr Tk »
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 12:15:36 am »

Well there is one situation where what Mr. TK mentions is so true

In Sailor Moon whenever the big battle is about to start the Japanese version plays the theme music while the American/Canadian version plays some really nice music! (I also prefer the dubbing because Japanese Usagi's voice is high pitched enough to break glass)

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 12:39:32 am »

I prefer things in their original language.

If it's made in English, then I watch it in English.
If it's made in German, then I watch it in German.
If it's made in a language that doesn't exist, then I watch in the language that doesn't exist.

I believe most of you will ge the point.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 12:41:13 am »

If it's made in a language that doesn't exist, then I watch in the language that doesn't exist

PENGU!!!

Though a few of those episodes disturb me. Though it is the only show I really EVER seen where you see someone wipe someone's bum with actual poop attached. (Made for children people!)

Jualin

• Bay Watcher
  • What's that sound?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 01:31:17 am »

I choose based on whether I like the sound of the voices in the dub or the sub more.

It can go both ways, though I'm usually biased towards watching dubs because I'm more familiar with American and British accents.

However, I usually can't find any good dubs out there for the series that I've watched, and as such I've seen most of them with subs.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2009, 01:36:26 am »

I hate dubs whit burning passion. In fact i dislike the entire concept of translation, and I always try to get evrything as close to the vision of the original artist as posible.
I prefer subs before dubs, I try to read books in the original language whenever posible, I play games vanilla.
It seems many peaple dont get languages are DIFFERENT, usualy in subtile ways but sometimes in big ways as well. Each language represents an entire way of thinking and encoding information, there is no thing that contains and sums up a culture as much as it's language, and no translation no matter how well done could ever transfer a fraction of subtilities, or avoid creating new ones. this is why it is such a tradgedy when a language dies.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2009, 03:49:13 am »

Hate dubbing too. Subtitles are fine. I stopped watching a lot of shows after they get dubbed. Strangely enough, I don't mind Doraemon getting dubbed.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4