Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: personal engravings  (Read 4014 times)

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
personal engravings
« on: May 03, 2008, 04:49:00 am »

it would be nice that engravings would be made more personal for example when you are engraving champions grave it would be decorated with his victories.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: personal engravings
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2008, 07:38:00 am »

Unfortunatley engravings are random...-ish. Like if you just had a dwarf the slew a dragon, there would be engravings of dwarves striking down dragons. However, if a champion just got slain by a bunch of goblins, there *could* be pictures of goblins striking down a dwarf.

Yes an area specific engraving thing would be good, but kinda hard to implement.

I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2008, 07:40:00 am »

I've had an engraver who decorated the tomb of a great warrior with engravings of herself.  In the act of engraving.

Coke_Can64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 07:57:00 am »

Kagus, i'd have to lol that... next we'll have psychic dwarves!  :roll:
I CANNOT HEAR YOU OVER THE SOUND OF ME DRILLING HOLES IN ELVES
+Population Myminicity
+Tra Myminicity
+Ind Myminicity

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 09:00:00 am »

It would be interesting if one could restrict the subjects of the engravings to a certain range. For example, you could order only food engravings to be made in a dining room.. or an oubliette >  :)

[ May 03, 2008: Message edited by: Silverionmox ]

Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

DDouble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 09:47:00 am »

If you visit those engravings in adventure mode and examine them, they'll tell you the specific incident they refer to, in the case of "Dwarves slaying a dragon" or "goblins striking down a dwarf."

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 04:39:00 pm »

He wants to be able to designate areas for engravings about something specific.  Doesn't sound too horribly difficult to implement, would just require a special engraving designation similar to how custom stockpiles are now.
I'm fairly certain he realizes everything you have said so far.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Thassa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2008, 05:07:00 pm »

Possibly something along the lines of "Engrave -> Battle Scenes -> Recent"?  With each of those arrows representing a submenu?  The default of course being whatever occurs to the dwarf when they go to engrave something (assigning a few things makes perfect sense.. manually assigning everything would be as big a headache as building walls and floors currently is).

Not too fine a control though since, if a champion dies in the middle of a war, then they probably took out a few enemies just before their death.  And pictures of their comrades avenging their death afterwards would be nice to see too.   :)

Dwarf Fortress players: Coming up with solutions for problems that haven't been implemented yet. 

Appelgren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 03:31:00 am »

I'd like this to be done automatically, so that engravings in tombs was more likely to relate to various events involving the buried dwarf and engravings in a dining room more often be about food. But wouldn't it be awesome if a very conceited dwarf would still make images of herself engraving everywhere? Or if a depressed dwarf would litter the dining room with images of death and suffering? I think the dwarves lose opportunities to express their personality if the player gets too much direct control.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 08:44:00 am »

Solution: Commisioned engravings are worth less then expressive engravings but if you realy think something NEEDS to have masterpieces about a related event you could tell them to make something special, takes several times longer to make but is always a masterpiece, perhaps with a small unhappy though penalty about having to work too hard.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of unfinished jobs
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

i would be satisfied with a 70% chance that engraving is related to that room ( in case of personal room to that dwarf)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 04:45:59 pm »

i would be satisfied with a 70% chance that engraving is related to that room ( in case of personal room to that dwarf)

I agree (see folks, I searched for a suggestion before I made it!!!)

Anyway, it would be hellah cool if, when you engraved a room, what was engraved would depend on what kind of room it was.

Examples:
In any given room there is an X% chance of an engraving being related to the room, where x is defined in the raws. 

A:  Tomb -- In an assigned tomb the images would involve the person who owns the tomb, with a preference to death scenes

B:  Dining Room -- The preference would be towards images of food events (stores, yearly production, etc)

C:  Barracks -- Images of Battle events.

I don't particularly like the idea of being able to pick your specific engravings, or even types, but that could be handy.  (Imagine the halls of production, which is just a big striped room with engravings of production, by year).

Also, does anyone know if history events are reused?  I.E. does it track what all has been drawn, and draw something new if it's available?

Finally, I think I'd like to see a few specific engravings.  Maybe the ability to carve simple images like your fortress symbol, your civ symbol, the symbol of specific dwarves.  These wouldn't count (much) towards room value, but could be neat.  Possibly added when the ability to engrave specific texts in gets added.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 04:48:30 pm »

Oh, and we NEED to be able to engrave trees...

Urist >>-<3-> Uristette

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 04:51:20 pm »

I also agree that engravings should have a increased chance to be related to the room it is in.

If it is in someone's bedroom... it should be about them, their friends, their diety, or things they like with increased frequency.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 06:25:19 pm »

So any wall or floor which has already been declared part of a room would have a check on what engravings it'd get.
A good engraver would search through recent legends dealing with the room's owner (if declared) or the room's function (deaths and attacks for tombs, food trades and... masterful meals (do they get legends?) for dining rooms), bad engravers would search through generic images likewise.
Wouldn't that make engravings duller than they already are though? Lots of repetitions if there wasn't some randomizer put in (dwarfs can be awkward and random too) . Also, Toady would have to differentiate legends and images, not to mention the extra work of discarding images everytime you engrave a thing.
Pages: [1] 2 3