Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: personal engravings  (Read 4011 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: personal engravings
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 07:01:53 pm »

I wish that some images would actually tell you what it is about in Fortress mode

Why can't it be

"This is an image of Greg the Dwarf, He is being struck down by Ubo the Goblin"

Though I don't know if it changes in Adventure mode or Legends

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 07:16:15 pm »

Yeah, it gives more detail in adventure mode, which is then put down in legends mode.
I think some people's suggested putting an option in the init file to give it up first time, but it's not there now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 07:22:51 pm »

Though the REAL horror with those engravings are the... Useless ones!!! that like to flood the Art section.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2008, 08:30:23 am »

I suggest that for walls designated to be engraved but not yet finished, you can select them, and be presented with a list of events. (e.g.Urist Mcdwarfy burnt in magma). You may select one of these, and it will be engraved.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2008, 12:54:47 pm »

I am a big fan of the existing system wherein A: You must adventure to the site to get the full details (making DF really a two part game) and B: the legends are automatically placed.

(Although I do think tracking the legends and having their frequency depend on their importance is good...)

perilisk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2008, 07:15:19 pm »

While I like the current system, especially with dwarves choosing subjects that are important to them, I do wish there was more variety. Nothing is more annoying that seeing basically the same engraving for the eighty-second time. Perhaps biasing engravers against subjects that are done to death. Also, I wish they would tap into world/civ legends more often, instead of acting like culture and history began with their fort.

Also, I hope eventually the names have some vague tie to the subject matter -- as it stands, it's just noise to me. I couldn't tell you the name of a work of art if I tried. If the name was just based on the event parameters, the fort seed, and the location, surely that would be sufficient for creating something unique, yet meaningful (provided you can provide enough alternate phrases describing a particular event). Any engraving less than masterful wouldn't even deserve a name, but could still tell you about legends.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2008, 08:09:59 pm »

Also, I wish they would tap into world/civ legends more often, instead of acting like culture and history began with their fort.

seconded

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2008, 06:25:58 pm »

I don't think certain subjects should automatically be linked to certain rooms. Firstly, rooms can be assigned a new function. Secondly, it should be up to the player whether he wants to engrave his dining room with art renditions, erotic scenes, war annals, horror stories or plump helmet variations.

The core idea, having some influence on the subject of engravings, is of course great and would make the fortesses more alive.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

ShadowDragon8685

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2008, 02:33:20 pm »

I would very much like to be able to decide what I want engraved. Even if it's comissioning a dwarf to make something completely up, like saying, "I want a scene from Boatmurdered, draw me Sankis the Beardless Emperor on Fire", or "I want to see elephants burning".

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2008, 04:05:24 pm »

I like the way engravings are done now, except that I want far fewer engravings of dwarves and dwarves surrounded by other dwarves.

Every now and again I find a real good engraving, however:

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2008, 04:36:50 pm »

That is a really epic painting Bouchart... To the point where I question if it is real

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2008, 06:33:35 pm »

It'd be a dull forgery. If an engraver likes an animal in (likes dogs for their loyalty, demons for their terrifying features etc) they'll draw themselves hugging animals.
Mostly happens early on in the fort, when nothing's happened (and when you've got the time to check every engraving).

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 07:30:41 pm »

Another three common early fort engravings:
... image of dwarves. The dwarves are traveling.
... image of a dwarf and dwarves. The dwarf is surrounded by the dwarves.
... image of a dwarf. The dwarf is engraving.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Skizelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 08:24:53 pm »

Does anyone know what the engraving "An image of a dwarf and dwarves, the dwarves are rejecting the dwarf" (or similar) means?
I've only seen it the once, creepily enough in an engraving for a tomb, surrounded by images of waves and dying dwarves.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2008, 01:02:31 am »

Does anyone know what the engraving "An image of a dwarf and dwarves, the dwarves are rejecting the dwarf" (or similar) means?
I've only seen it the once, creepily enough in an engraving for a tomb, surrounded by images of waves and dying dwarves.

Happens when you either replace one of the replacable nobles, or a new mayor gets elected (the rejected dwarf is the dwarf who lost the position).
Pages: 1 [2] 3