Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Revealing Waterfall/magmafall  (Read 3337 times)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Revealing Waterfall/magmafall
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2009, 04:06:16 am »

The murky pools are literally about 15 tiles combined. The underground pool is about 40-80 units away from any surface so it'd require at least 2 windmills to even get 10 units of power to any contraption I needed.  On top of that the windmill for the underground pool would have to be build into the very steep mountain which would also be a bit of engineering.

All that or I can wait 1-2 seasons for a little more bauxite/iron/steel for the additional mechanisms and doors that using magma would require and have an infinite source of magma that's relatively close to the surface for powering it.
15 tiles of 7/7 will end up being enough water for this as long as you don't let it evaporate very much in transit.

You're saying the underground pool is 40-80 z levels below the mountain? That can't be right.

Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2009, 09:26:17 am »

I'll have to do an exact count but it's at around 30.

My map is essentially a giant cliff face/mountain side. The bottom of the map is about 5-10 tiles of 'ground level'. The top is about 30-50 tiles of the 'mountain top'. The remaining tiles that make up the 4x4 embark (I believe I used 4x4 at least) is straight mountain side (ramps) connecting the two.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2009, 10:28:24 pm »

Well I did some further testing (using a copied save) and found a few things...

Magma pipes don't 'drain away' magma like rivers do. So it has to be a closed system that recycles magma.
The waterfall won't interfere with pathing the majority of the time. The dwarves will happily try to go through it. They even sometimes make it past.
What I thought to be an underwater pool might actually be a little bit of an aquafier poking through from another biome. I didn't have it fully explored yet but now I see that it may be more than I thought.
Burning dwarves are funny.

Either way I think I have everything I need to get it setup (except maybe a few iron bars/bauxite).

aklyatne

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of, well, spikes.
    • View Profile
    • Stumbleupon profile
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2009, 11:55:04 pm »

You don't need to recycle the magma.  Smooth a tile on the very edge of the map and carve fortifications into it.  Use it as a drain; water and magma just fall off the edge of the map.
Don't even bother with trying to sp-
You have struck Alunite!
-ell my username.  Just type Ak or something.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2009, 12:58:47 am »

Well the other problem I ran into during my test was that the 'pull' of magma by the waterfall was lowering the magma levels of my other magma projects even though I dug right into the pipe. Essentially all my magma forges/kilns/etc. cut out and stopped working because the magma levels dropped once the waterfall was running.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2009, 01:26:23 am »

Oh, if it's aquifer you've got all the water in the world. Let it flood a tunnel going to whatever part of the map you please.

You don't need to recycle the magma.  Smooth a tile on the very edge of the map and carve fortifications into it.  Use it as a drain; water and magma just fall off the edge of the map.
Problem with that is again, magma doesn't have pressure so if the falls are very far from the edge it's going to back up and overflow instead of going down the tunnel to fall off the edge. At a pretty early point he'd be better off just giving it a long drop into the middle of a large evaporation chamber.

Thanks to the slothful nature of magma looping it is really the way to go. If the system allows for more than a little evaporation or the cistern is not particularly large there should be a pump by the pipe allowing you to refill it as needed.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2009, 01:28:35 am by Shoku »

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2009, 05:39:04 pm »

the system I'm implementing now will have a floodgate + lever so I can add more magma as needed and I have a neighboring large chamber that will have a dual use of being an obsidian farm + evaporation chamber.

This 'aquifer' is still confusing me though. It seems to spam 2 z-levels and a few different rock types. Plus I get the damp stone warning before I actually breach it and unleash the water. But I don't see how it can be anything BUT an aquifer as it seems to have unlimited water supply and the water appears in a tile that's surrounded on all sides by rock once I breach it.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2009, 06:11:01 pm »

You'll get the damp stone warning all around any water so you can detect aquifer on multiple levels. You shouldn't see it in multiple stone types other than the clusters within a general layer of stone. You can get multiple layers that are aquifer but I doubt that's the case for you being right on a mountain.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2009, 07:38:24 pm »

Well I've drawn out water from 2 different z-levels (both -1 and -2 in the example below). Here's an example of what I have.
W = wall
D = damp wall
~ = water
, = floor
. = open space
z-level 0
Code: [Select]

z-level -1
DDD
D~D
D~D
DDD

z-level -2
D,W
D,W
D,,
DDD

I also just had a wagon take about 1 second to travel from the edge of the map, into my fort, and to the trade depot. For every 1 step a dwarf took (or the other wagons) he took about 20. I think he would have definitely gotten toasted if the magmafall was running.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009, 07:43:51 pm by Slogo »

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2009, 02:35:53 am »

Have you modified your wagons?

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2009, 09:36:01 am »

Nope. Running pure vanilla DF other than my character set and icons. I have no idea why the thing was that fast. The other 4 wagons that showed up were normal speed.

Interestingly enough last year the dwarven caravan had one REEALLLLLYYYY slow wagon that took about 10x as long to get to the trade depots as the others. I just took it as a sign that it was burdened down because I had requested a lot of heavy things but who knows.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2009, 03:52:20 pm »

Magma does not drain off the edge of the map. Water does. Magma does not. You can even try this out on the surface.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2009, 03:53:47 pm »

Nope. Running pure vanilla DF other than my character set and icons. I have no idea why the thing was that fast. The other 4 wagons that showed up were normal speed.

Interestingly enough last year the dwarven caravan had one REEALLLLLYYYY slow wagon that took about 10x as long to get to the trade depots as the others. I just took it as a sign that it was burdened down because I had requested a lot of heavy things but who knows.

Wagons do seem to be loaded up randomly.

Sometimes you get the wagon carrying 20 anvils for some inexplicable reason, while everyone else is carrying plump helmets and pig tail cloth.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2009, 09:35:57 am »

So I've been getting the pressure plates setup. Since I'm using water I'm going with a 12 pressure plate system (6 outer plates to initially stop the fall then 6 right next to the falls to extend it's duration in case some dwarf slacks off between the two or decides to turn around.

With 1/2 of the plates setup I've realized something though, Human caravans don't seem to trigger the plates. I presume (but don't care) that elven ones would do the same* and dwarves I have no clue about. I'm going to have safety switches (of course) but it's still kinda disappointing to see.

*Actually I have to admit I care a little, the last elven caravan brought me like 10 exotic animals like jaguars, giant eagles, and stuff to fill out my zoo which was pretty badass.
Pages: 1 2 [3]