Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: ocean forts beware!  (Read 3285 times)

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
Re: ocean forts beware!
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2009, 05:48:41 pm »

While you guys have made some very good points, you're ignoring the fact that this is setting an interesting precedent. If they can successfully make fish that "have good strength, are resistant to disease, grow quickly and taste delicious" Then there's no reason they could not do the same with other animals. This kind of research could eventually lead to humans who are stronger, never get sick, live longer, and taste delicious. And no, I'm not talking about cannibalism...heh heh heh...

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2009, 08:06:36 pm »

This thread is going to become inappropriate thanks to you. ::)

really?  for profanity?  not thanks to the people who are value-ranking forign cultures from lowest to highest? 

shucks.

I'm trying not to think about that. :(
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2009, 08:25:06 pm »

As long as we all remain mature and intelligent like civilized people, there's no reason that this is going to devolve into a depravity fight.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

[P]sYDoNiA

• Bay Watcher
  • Quick, Hide the Weed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2009, 08:35:41 pm »

Bye bye Carp.

Hello Tuna.

Honestly, Humans are quite badly screwing everything up...

I quote some random Greenpeace hobo I saw in the city the other day:

All living creatures adapt, or evolve into their environment to survive. All but one. The humans. They change the environment to suit them. The Earth does not change! (at this point some dude points out that it does) Well, over a long period of time it does. But Humans will not be around that long!

Yeah, that dude was wierd. And I know exactly what he said because I happened to be video taping my friend doing a backflip off a bridge... and the scary hobo was standing next to me off camera.

And it's wierd how he talks about Humans in third person... Hmm... He might be one of those aliens everyone keeps talkin' about!
//The Knight of PsYDoNiA\\
\\     .:JoiN The Order:.   //

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2009, 09:46:05 pm »

All living creatures adapt, or evolve into their environment to survive. All but one. The humans. They change the environment to suit them. The Earth does not change! (at this point some dude points out that it does) Well, over a long period of time it does. But Humans will not be around that long!

Most, if not all, living organisms do change their surroundings to suit their needs. The changes could range from a bird's nest to the destruction of ecosystems by newly introduced species.

Humans are just a lot better at modifying their environment than other animals. We do it the dwarven way.

The hobo was probably an elf. That's explain everything.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 11:01:30 pm »

How do you genetically modify something to taste better...? I mean seriously. I don't want somebody genetically modifying cows making them "taste better". Whose's sense of taste are we talking about here? What if I like the old fashioned taste? What's the new taste gonna be? Raspberry jam flavoured tuna meat? Chocolate flavoured tuna?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2009, 11:14:23 pm »

Why is this in the DF general discussion area?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2009, 05:54:36 am »

Because it was going to become a DF joke from RL fact, and such threads often turn to RL forgetting about DF.

Urist McDwarf cancels eat +giant tuna roast+: too much mercury
Urist McDwarf has suffocated
:)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2009, 05:58:11 am »

Because it was going to become a DF joke from RL fact, and such threads often turn to RL forgetting about DF.

Urist McDwarf cancels eat +giant tuna roast+: too much mercury
Urist McDwarf has suffocated
:)
Won't we be able to do stuff like that in next version? :)
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2009, 01:21:19 pm »

Poisoned food? I don't think so... sadly. I'd sneak into a town as a kobold and poison their food supplies then.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2009, 03:05:46 pm »

How do you genetically modify something to taste better...? I mean seriously. I don't want somebody genetically modifying cows making them "taste better". Whose's sense of taste are we talking about here? What if I like the old fashioned taste? What's the new taste gonna be? Raspberry jam flavoured tuna meat? Chocolate flavoured tuna?
Reduce the quanitities of whatever makes fish taste 'fishy', improve the marbling (fat dispersal in the meat)...

If the WWF is the best source these guys can find for alarmist statements... I'm not going to be alarmed.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2009, 03:18:58 pm »

Tuna doesn't have marbling...

Why exactly are people getting alarmed over this any way? I thought we've disproved all ill-concieved notions about GM food for a long time now. Practically everything we eat is GM anyway. Even organic food is mostly genetically modified from what they originally were. I'd rather people eat GM tuna than fish the real thing to extinction.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2009, 03:32:44 pm »

Tuna doesn't have marbling...

Why exactly are people getting alarmed over this any way? I thought we've disproved all ill-concieved notions about GM food for a long time now. Practically everything we eat is GM anyway. Even organic food is mostly genetically modified from what they originally were. I'd rather people eat GM tuna than fish the real thing to extinction.

1: I'm aware of that, but you mentioned cows first.

2: U.S. is over that, much the same as Europe is over worrying about nuclear power.  GM in Europe is a lot like nuke plants here.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2009, 01:09:01 pm »

we definetly need a various nonsense section again if this is spamming the general discussion with crap that has nothing to do with DF.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 12, 2009, 01:19:18 pm »

we definetly need a various nonsense section again if this is spamming the general discussion with crap that has nothing to do with DF.

In DF, fish are badass. We're going to make fish badass in real life.

I see a connection.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!
Pages: 1 [2] 3