Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Unusual Artifacts  (Read 8851 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Unusual Artifacts
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2009, 04:41:01 am »

Seems a bit morbid to craft your own coffin and name it after yourself. Maybe she knows she's not long for this world.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 28, 2009, 11:24:29 pm »

i had an armoursmith just get posessed and make an iron shoe. i was so dissapointed. since it was possession he did not even get a skill increase. i long for the day i get an artifact breastplate or something.

also way back when i read the wiki pages on weapons and arficacts it more strongly implied that the artifact bonus was a large unknown percentage stuck on top of the existing material bonus. the exception being crossbows, which only get the material bonus in melee combat. im still very certain that this is how it works, but it was a surprise to find out that this is not actually known.

the point that since only champions can wield artifacts and thus its near impossible to figure out how good artifact weapons are is totally valid and i had not considered it before. in the past ive forgotten to switch champions back to steel or adamantium weapons from the silver sparring ones, and for champions at least it really makes no difference; they still rip things to pieces.

traps may be a valid way of figuring out the artifact weapon question. ive had artifact glass giant weapons do significantly better then their non artifact counterparts. although enough quality trap parts will still mince everything just as good.

Slashcko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2009, 11:37:11 am »

Time paradox!

2xMachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2009, 11:47:40 am »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2009, 01:10:12 pm »

In a fortress a while ago I got a turtle bone buckler. My current fortress just got a turtle bone helm. I bet next week I'll get a turtle bone suit of platemail, then turtle bone greaves, turtle bone gauntlets, and turtle bone high boots. It's like armok is trying to arm my dwarves with turtle bone. Damnit, and all this time I was foolishly using iron and steel.

The best was I had two artifact statues with the same decorations made out of gold and silver. I put them in my dining hall. It was badass. And all of my engravers decided to keep making designs of cheese instead of the statues, damnit.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2009, 01:54:43 pm »

Time paradox!

It's not uncommon for artifacts to have an image of itself on it.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 30, 2009, 05:52:02 pm »

More than once I've gotten turtle shell cages.
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2009, 06:12:45 pm »

I'm sure I had a chain made of a raw gem in a previous fort.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2009, 07:41:20 pm »

I have a salmon bone warhammer.  How big are the salmon in these parts, anyway?!

I also have some wolf leather leggings... seems normal enough, but its name is "Drillrighteous the Triangle of Fondling."  It menaces with spikes of hydra leather and goblin bone.  Sounds kinky!
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 07, 2009, 11:38:07 pm »

I also have some wolf leather leggings... seems normal enough, but its name is "Drillrighteous the Triangle of Fondling."  It menaces with spikes of hydra leather and goblin bone.  Sounds kinky!

We all know the spikes go inwards.  :-X

I once had a turtle bone bed called "The Altar of Whores" or something like that.

More recently, I got a Native Platinum millstone. 'Twas quite bizarre. That's what I get for building lots of mason's workshops everywhere.

The Slaughter of Wetting
::)
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2009, 04:06:57 am »

We all know the spikes go inwards.  :-X

I once had a turtle bone bed called "The Altar of Whores" or something like that.

More recently, I got a Native Platinum millstone. 'Twas quite bizarre. That's what I get for building lots of mason's workshops everywhere.

The Slaughter of Wetting
::)

Stick it in somone's room that you like and make them deleriously happy.

shadowclasper

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McSpacemarine, AxeDwarf
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2009, 04:26:32 am »

I once got a bauxite bed called the Alter of Pain or something... It had spikes made of 3 different kinds of stone and two kinds of bone, was encrusted with gems, and I think it had an image of my previous mayor (who went insane and had to be struck down) being struck down by the guy who would be elected NEXT mayor. This was started just before the election and finished after it.
Project Manager for Towergirls: Subtitle Pending

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2009, 04:56:55 am »

I had an Engraver who was engraving pictures of my Mayor being surrounded by, rats i think (a vermin he hated) and being terrified of the vermin all over the fortress. Every second engraving was one of these.

Then he got secretive and created a Gold Bed with no less than five decorations of the Mayor being terrorised by vermin in different gems, as well as the usual assortment of spikes and rings. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but it was something along the lines of "The Fear of Teeth" and was wholly appropriate.

I stuck it in the Mayors room.

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2009, 05:37:03 am »

I had an Engraver who was engraving pictures of my Mayor being surrounded by, rats i think (a vermin he hated) and being terrified of the vermin all over the fortress. Every second engraving was one of these.

Then he got secretive and created a Gold Bed with no less than five decorations of the Mayor being terrorised by vermin in different gems, as well as the usual assortment of spikes and rings. I don't remember exactly what it was called, but it was something along the lines of "The Fear of Teeth" and was wholly appropriate.

I stuck it in the Mayors room.
"Can't sleep... rats will eat me..."

My turtle shell animal trap turns out to work incredibly well. Now I'm building an entire zoo of fire snakes.

While not precisely unusual, my fort's first artifact is called Babinlisid Mingtuthlalilid, "Friendlyclashes the Contingent South-Ruler". It's a goat leather robe. I really want my Dungeon Master to wear it somehow.

There's also a tin crossbow with an awesomely scary name, Championchews "The Mythical Basis". It has a picture of elves prostrating before a dwarf on it.  8)

kurokikaze

• Bay Watcher
  • Man of the black wind
    • View Profile
    • Mechanical World
« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2009, 05:44:16 am »

I have turtle shell gauntlet created by some kid. And a streak of two toys - toy anvil and ,i think, hammer, made after one another.
It's black as pitch 'cause we're trapped by our violent souls
In a deep mine, where deep rhymes won't keep my self-control
Too many foes, we feel snakebit, and we won't take it
Enemies need their face hit, we goin' ape shit!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8