Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Unusual Artifacts  (Read 8872 times)

Sabre_Justice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Unusual Artifacts
« on: July 02, 2009, 09:51:38 am »

Especially on young fortresses, you never know what dwarf is gonna get a strange mood next, and what skills they happen to have (or not). Everyone loves artifact weapons and armour, but what about the odder things that dorfs are compelled to build?

I have a turtle shell animal trap in my latest fortress, for instance.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unusual Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 10:19:37 am »

I'm not using the computer with DF on it atm, so I don't remember the exact details. In my current fort, I got a bone mace with lots of stuff on it and it's valued at over 100,000 dwarfbucks. Enough to make overlapped rooms legendarily Royal. Later I got an artifact grate which actually had a really good name and it had an engraving of the bone mace I think.

I also got a coffin named the unsomethinger, I'll probably save that for the king/queen.

Kode527

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 10:37:27 am »

There was something about obsidian bed with spikes here on forums just some time ago :P,
but my best is 20k wooden toy axe with gem and metal spikes on it.
I got some weird grate with spikes on it too :P.
Why dwarves want to put spikes on everything?

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 10:46:21 am »

Why dwarves want to put spikes on everything?

i always wonder the same thing. i assume its to prove how much more awsome they are. lets see humans willingly sit in a chair covered with iron and wooden spikes. dwarves think thats normal!

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 11:16:33 am »

I had a floodgate made out of cat bone once
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 11:20:47 am »

To update on my previous post (yes I know I could edit it, but I just feel like making a new post), the coffin is called Unteacher, strange name, yet it's somehow appropriate.

The turtle bone mace I mentioned earlier has native aluminum (from a native aluminum block I got from deconstructing on some traders :P ), alunite, more turtle bone, cave spider silk, more turtle bone, rings of yellow zircron and green tourmaline and finally, an engraving of the foundation of the fort in turtle bone.

The obsidian grate I mentioned earlier is called 'The Slivers of Song', which is a pretty good name IMO.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 12:05:51 pm »

I got a bone mace with lots of stuff on it and it's valued at over 100,000 dwarfbucks. Enough to make overlapped rooms legendarily Royal.

How do you make a mace part of a room?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 12:10:35 pm »

I got a bone mace with lots of stuff on it and it's valued at over 100,000 dwarfbucks. Enough to make overlapped rooms legendarily Royal.

How do you make a mace part of a room?

Weapon trap. Works great if you have an artifact mechanism, too.

I have a rock crystal cage, and a turtle shell mask.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 12:18:30 pm »

I had an artifact rope once...wasn't sure what to do with it the first time I saw it...I actually don't recall what I did with it...

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 12:23:01 pm »

Ahhh!....

Weapon trap. Works great if you have an artifact mechanism, too.

A weapon trap in a noble's room linked to an artifact mechanism would be a natural, I'll agree.   ;)

Noble cancels living: interrupted by admiring artifact weapons trap.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 12:31:54 pm »

a smith made an Aluminum anvil. it currently contains about 1/4 of my fortresses wealth
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 12:35:25 pm »

i once got a raw adamantine blowgun  >:( could of been platemail at least worts bit was it was a possed mood! nxt month elves invaded and a pesky kobold stole it during the fight
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 01:45:55 pm »

Actually, I was planning on messing with the stockpiles, but not sure how effective that would actually be.

I have a mooded weaponsmith who JUST made an artifact Sterling silver large serrated disk, it's studded with bronze and encircled with aluminum and there is an image of broad crosses in sterling silver, and it's named Puzzledhumor in the strange way artifacts get named. The metals are stuff I got off of a merchant group that I deconstructed the depot on just a few months ago in DF, the aluminum is truly native though, as in dug out and smelted at my fort. When I saw him get those metals, I figured that it was going to be a pretty ornate. While a silver weapon wouldn't be all that strong, anything large, serrated, and spinning at a high speed would be deadly.

Anyways, that legendary weaponsmith is going to be great for supplying my civ for it's war effort.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:48:14 pm by smjjames »

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 01:53:43 pm »

I got a cage made of cave lobster shell, that was encircled with bands of cave lobster shell. I use it to hold animals destined for the butcher.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2009, 02:17:57 pm »

The material an artifact weapon is made of doesn't matter much when it comes to deadlyness, artifact weapons get a huge boost to damage anyway, though i don't think an artifact bone axe can beat a regular adamantine one.

Anyway, i do remember having a an artifact bronze bucket encircled with bands of iron, and an engraving of itself on it.
I used it on a well in the center of my meeting room, made lotsa dwarves happy, even when one got melancholic and jumped down the well :D
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8