Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Odd Results - Wooden Mechansim...  (Read 834 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Odd Results - Wooden Mechansim...
« on: July 02, 2009, 01:20:05 am »

I have been working on a Human Town for a while now, been going on and off another Megaproject I have else where, but with this Town my actions have been moving between making Humans more playable (my POV that is) by making them less reliant on stone goods like Mechanisms, Crafts and such...

So far I have been playing around for a couple of seasons over and over again to make sure it works and well never really got anything up and running for real. So when i was finally satisfied well I started one up, no river so a Well was needed to make them Uman's happy.

Already I was happy to see that my Wooden Mechanism was buildable (though had to be made at the Smelter) I never actually moved it from the Workshop. Heh...

So this time round it came to building that well, and I noticed the guy moving to build it taking a less then frame at a time to move a space, (I am also getting around 500fps with the Humans but that is restricted, damn happy bout that PC upgrade I got ages ago)

When he finally put the Mech down I had a closer look at it...
1436477r......

WTF!!!

Its made out of wood why it so god damn heavy...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Odd Results - Wooden Mechansim...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 02:05:32 am »

Is it made out of a specific wood or just generic "wood" its just I hear generic materials weight defaults to something ridiculous.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 02:09:54 am »

Yeah the generic wood kind...
So if i define what wood its to be made out of it will be made out of that. Ugh that sounds annoying considering all the different types...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 04:51:51 am »

Indeed, I wish you could give it a "FROM_REGENT" tag when specifying the material type. I hope specifying the type fixes your problem.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 11:15:11 am »

Hmm, lots of reaction made things do that. Specifying proper materials can work, but not allways.

For example, its just not possible to make logs of anything but wood. Tried metal, stone, bone, elf tallow soap and a bunch of other things, but nothing works. It just shows up as 'wood' and weights a rediculous load.

Kind of weird I think, because when I try to make metal ballista parts in the forge it says 'need metal logs'
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009, 01:16:13 am »

You could always make the resulting mechanism from a special kind of wood you name yourself. That doesn't exist in the wild.
"Wooden"
"Wooden Mechanism"

And, the reason why Wooden wood shouldn't show up in the wild:
"Wooden Tree"
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Eagle0600

• Bay Watcher
  • Highly Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009, 04:30:48 am »

That's a good idea.
GENERATION 21:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009, 04:35:42 am »

Won't mood dwarfs sometimes want Wooden Wood if you do that?
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009, 04:59:53 am »

Would a wooden wood hood be woo'd in the woods?

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Pickerel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009, 07:33:23 am »

I have actually had a similar problem with some off weights on things I modded in that aren't 'generic' like the possible 'wood'.  Example: I modded in a race called 'Lich' that appears, shoots fireballs, and raises havok.  Their corpses have all the tags appropriate for a skeletal thing.  The remains they leave rot away leaving behind, as one might guess, Lich Bones.

The problem is that, while most things are perfectly fine and weigh the proper amount, every so often a dwarf will get it into his head to make A. Lich Bone Bolts, B. Lich Bone Slingstones (something I modded in, works perfectly fine with everything else), and C. Lich Bone Crossbows.  All 3 of these things, when made of lich bone, do the 'be heavy enough to collapse in on itself in a super-massive black hole' thing, and the lucky dwarf that decides to use them may haul them 10 steps before the battle is over if he is particularly strong.

I just end up having to designate them to my chasm dump or archery range where they can be used safely.