Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Edit to Sieges  (Read 1876 times)

Taelzos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Edit to Sieges
« on: July 02, 2009, 12:47:02 am »

I am having alot of trouble enjoying this game to its maximum, due to the 80 dwarf limit required to have a siege, as well as other things, due to the fact that Dwarf Fortress slows immensely once I hit around 60 dwarves.
I am able to play Crysis on High detail on my PC; however, I cannot reach 80 dwarves.
I am suggesting that instead of having sieges start at a population number, rather instead have a number of seasons pass before the possibility of a siege.
This would give players time to develop properly beforehand, without bogging themselves with 80 or more dwarves.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Edit to Sieges
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2009, 12:48:51 am »

You can modify the goblin settings to make them ramp up sooner (or even to make them start sending sieges as soon as they would normally start sending thieves).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2009, 08:46:26 am »

As an aside, crysis uses multithreading.  You probably have a dual or quad core PC

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 01:16:01 pm »

This is actually going to end up being a nonissue later on: eventually, pop caps should be dispensed with as diplomacy and events will be what determines your relationship with other civs, and not neccessarily pop/wealth/etc. BTW, if you're looking for a challenge give the orc mod a try in the meantime.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 02:26:24 pm »

As an aside, crysis uses multithreading.  You probably have a dual or quad core PC

Dual core systems are the best for DF. If he is able to run Crysis @ full details, but his comp lags when he has more than 80 dwarves...well let's just say that it's weird. Something is wrong with the OP's system, that is for sure.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2009, 03:18:16 pm »

Why are dual core the best? The best would be a singular core made out of weapons-grade plutonium that has the power of 400 normal cores combined.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

chucks

• Bay Watcher
  • Have Cutlass -- Will Travel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 03:52:53 pm »

2 cores are best.

1 to run DF.
1 to run H/W interrupt handlers, disk I/O, network crap, background windows tasks, etc.
Computer says 'No'.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 07:21:55 pm »

The point is, it doesn't matter how super awesome your PC is.  At a certain point, they stopped making the processer (much) better and just started adding more processors.  Since DF is limited to one processor, it doesn't matter what your whole PC can do, just what the one processor can.

Eavan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 09:27:40 pm »

Dual core systems are the best for DF. If he is able to run Crysis @ full details, but his comp lags when he has more than 80 dwarves...well let's just say that it's weird. Something is wrong with the OP's system, that is for sure.

That is not weird in any way. Graphics use a graphics card. Processing pathing uses processors (Cores). I would think that it's easy to get that simply via the names...

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 10:53:27 pm »

I thought siege intensity was determined by fortress wealth, rather than population.  Is the 80 just a threshold, after which sieges begin, or do seiges get more intense as your population rises?
I brake for stumble bumblings

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 10:28:07 am »

I thought siege intensity was determined by fortress wealth, rather than population.  Is the 80 just a threshold, after which sieges begin, or do seiges get more intense as your population rises?

True... Sieges don't start until you hit 80, but how hard they are is by wealth

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 02:03:02 pm »

That is not weird in any way. Graphics use a graphics card. Processing pathing uses processors (Cores). I would think that it's easy to get that simply via the names...

That is true, however you need to have a good CPU in order to run Crysis @ full details.

Taelzos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 10:45:24 pm »

I only run a Single Core system, actually, to those who have been chatting about my PC.
I have a very high performance graphics card, but a very standard processor.
SO, until I get that replaced, multi-tasking alot of things makes it go cross-eyed.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2009, 07:31:43 am »

I have a very high performance graphics card, but a very standard processor.

Huh? You have a handicapped system in that case. "Very high performance gfx cards" won't be able to operate @ full potential, if your CPU is not good enough.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2009, 08:38:18 pm »

I am suggesting that instead of having sieges start at a population number, rather instead have a number of seasons pass before the possibility of a siege.
This would give players time to develop properly beforehand, without bogging themselves with 80 or more dwarves.

It would also make the siege requirements even MORE arbitrary, though. I mean, it would screw over very small fortresses with low populations and the like.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2