Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Floor Construction  (Read 2145 times)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Floor Construction
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2009, 10:43:02 am »

That would surely be interesting. Are you proposing to let the dwarves mine at will between the levels? For example, taking lvl 3 in one square as floor, mining out the 7 levels above, etc. Even if the dwarves were to be restricted to adhere to the first tunnel, the terrain and the natural underground caverns could be much smoother. Of course, it'll be hell to display.

Floors: It's best to keep tiling separated from floors I think. Tiling would be a decoration (like engraving, or later mosaics), while construct floor would construct a floor. Tiling would not change the height of the floor (though size is flexible, exact volume doesn't matter), just its appearance by using stone or tiles of x material. In any case, I think it's better to separate construction and destruction in the command list. So it wouldn't be possible to build a floor on a floor before removing it, but instead tiling would be available as a decoration.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 11:23:19 am »

That would surely be interesting. Are you proposing to let the dwarves mine at will between the levels? For example, taking lvl 3 in one square as floor, mining out the 7 levels above, etc. Even if the dwarves were to be restricted to adhere to the first tunnel, the terrain and the natural underground caverns could be much smoother. Of course, it'll be hell to display.
Indeed, that was an afterthought to the original idea (which stuck to the standard Z-level demarkation, just explaining the amount of stone mined/required to in mining/channelling/flooring/pillaring task in a more IRL-logical manner)

Floors: It's best to keep tiling separated from floors I think. Tiling would be a decoration (like engraving, or later mosaics), while construct floor would construct a floor. Tiling would not change the height of the floor (though size is flexible, exact volume doesn't matter), just its appearance by using stone or tiles of x material. In any case, I think it's better to separate construction and destruction in the command list. So it wouldn't be possible to build a floor on a floor before removing it, but instead tiling would be available as a decoration.
Of course that'd require a (significantly insignificant) requirement of material to be 'realistic', compared with the amount you can remove from the space in the first place.  It was this concept in mind that prompted the idea of taking up the 1-unit floor (without much regard to what was beneath, save for mid-job traversal and of course the danger of pressurised water sitting beneath!) and factoring that into the equation.  Of course, a floor in this circumstance should not normally be removed and not replaced (except where there's a void below, when that's the idea, and it works more or less as it currently does when removing a floor above a pre-channeled area).

Treating it like the difference between a grassy outdoor square and one that is worn down to sand (effectively the same, height-wise, just material) needs a different logical rationalisation to the one I was pursuing.   Though I'm not denying there is one. ;)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 03:37:48 pm »

1) Digging through level, {produces 7 units of bauxite}
X) Not touching the level below
3a) Building a floor means removing the natural one (mason's tools only, not pickaxe, maybe a minor delay for traversing dwarfs) {produces 1 unit bauxite}
3b) Putting in the new one {uses 1 unit mica}
4) Removing the floor {recovers 1 unit mica}
Code: [Select]
Level2.0: Chalk   [1] Chalk  [X]  Chalk  [3a]   Chalk  [3b]  Chalk  [4]    Chalk
Level1.7: Bauxite DIG (Open)      (Open)        (Open)       (Open)        (Open)
Level1.6: Bauxite DIG (Open)      (Open)        (Open)       (Open)        (Open)
Level1.5: Bauxite DIG (Open)      (Open)        (Open)       (Open)        (Open)
Level1.4: Bauxite DIG (Open)      (Open)        (Open)       (Open)        (Open)
Level1.3: Bauxite DIG (Open)      (Open)        (Open)       (Open)        (Open)
Level1.2: Bauxite DIG (Open)      (Open)        (Open)       (Open)        (Open)
Level1.1: Bauxite DIG (Open)      (Open)        (Open)       (Open)        (Open)
Level1.0: Bauxite     Bauxite --- Bauxite STRIP (Open) FLOOR Mica   REMOVE (Open)
Level0.7: Gneiss      Gneiss      Gneiss        Gniess       Gneiss        Gneiss

So in other words, after removing the built floor, you have OPEN SPACE above UNMINED ROCK.

Yes.

This.

Makes.

Sense.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2009, 04:27:49 pm »

Decoupling the "channel" designation into a "remove floor" and an ordinary "dig" designation would simplify things a bit, while preserving versatility. The dwarves only need know that they can dig out squares if they have access from the top.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2009, 01:28:57 am »

So in other words, after removing the built floor, you have OPEN SPACE above UNMINED ROCK.

Yes.

This.

Makes.

Sense.
Couple of ways to accomplish in current version, the ones I know involve flaming dwarfs trying to run up ice stairs.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2009, 12:41:39 pm »

Couple of ways to accomplish in current version, the ones I know involve flaming dwarfs trying to run up ice stairs.

It might happen, but I'm pretty sure that it's not supposed to be intentional.

You used to be able to get it by constructing a floor, then a wall under it, then deconstructing the floor, and that was a bug.  Similarly, deconstructing a floor over poured obsidian.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2009, 07:44:41 am »

Yes.

This.

Makes.

Sense.
Congratulations, you hit the issue that I handwaved with the "while being replaced it is slower to transit" idea, where it wasn't 'real' floor. :)

(Seriously, if we don't deal with the zero intra-level of rock as "sacrosanct" floor, it works, although no longer do we have the same sense of "yes, we know its damp rock, I have a water channel above, and i's perfectly safe".  If you previously gave it a floor (replacing the raw one) and removed it (without replacing it, if that's possible, and really I intended that it wouldn't be but it needs thinking about) and /then/ tunneled under it.  FLOOD! :D

(Unless you treat the top intra-level as a natural ceiling, double buffering such errors until you replace that.)
Pages: 1 [2]