Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Second chair in office for meetings  (Read 1206 times)

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Second chair in office for meetings
« on: July 01, 2009, 05:21:13 pm »

A simple suggestion:

If an additional chair is installed in an office, then anyone who wishes to meet with the office's owner will sit on that chair and wait for the owner to arrive -- instead of chasing the owner all over the place and then usually holding the meeting in a random location.

This way, a prepared player could be assured of getting the "met in a proper office" happy thought.  It would make it much simpler to handle liaisons, and avoid the problem of dwarves holding meetings outside during a siege (which was recently raised in the gameplay forum).

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Second chair in office for meetings
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 05:58:57 pm »

Ah, I like that!  So the chair that defines the office is where the office owner sits, and all other chairs are available to visitors to the office.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 06:21:12 pm »

simple, but effective. i approve!  ;D

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 06:52:46 pm »

+1 approval!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 07:16:29 pm »

Excellent suggestion, simple, intuitive and elegant.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 07:25:02 pm »

I've now added it to the Eternal Suggestion Voting page, as "Extra chairs in office for meetings".

Let's see how high we can take it before the current system gets replaced....

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 12:09:38 am »

Damn! I thought you already had to do this...
 :(

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 10:40:51 pm »

I like it.  I already install several chairs and a table in my offices, sometimes including an archery target in case someone wants to use it for holding charts and graphs.  It would be nice if there was more to it than my pure conceit.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2009, 12:08:13 am »

Maybe we could extend this to an actual waiting room in the hospital section for dwarves with minor injuries? One's that don't require immediate attention, that is-that way, we could also use it to focus care on dwarves who need it most, first, without urist mcsprained ankle trying to jump urist mcmauledbySGCS in line.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 04:57:32 am »

Maybe we could extend this to an actual waiting room in the hospital section for dwarves with minor injuries? One's that don't require immediate attention, that is-that way, we could also use it to focus care on dwarves who need it most, first, without urist mcsprained ankle trying to jump urist mcmauledbySGCS in line.
The doctor should select the patient most in need of care himself (making a triage: these will die anyway, those will be fine without attention, let's concentrate on the rest). There could be a distinction between treating wounds (and fractures, etc.) and diseases. Wounded dwarves are carried to the doctor from the dangerous place. If they wake up sick, the doctor should come to them when he has time. Family can nurse him then. Infectuous cases.. we need separate hospital rooms for that.

(One of the things that always seem odd to me in American films is that sick people in hospitals are required to languish on benches in hospitals for hours.)
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 11:25:36 am »

I like this.

In addition to keeping the liaison out of our hair, it will save pathing cycles by keeping the liaison from needing to figure out how to get to his victim.

(One of the things that always seem odd to me in American films is that sick people in hospitals are required to languish on benches in hospitals for hours.)

This quite often actually happens, though it's totally unnecessary.

People who learned how to use the medical system from television almost always go to the emergency room, when they should actually just schedule an appointment with a regular, family practice physician. This increases the line lengths, and doesn't actually get them faster care, since people with actual urgent problems will be rushed to the front of the line.

TV always lies, kids.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

decius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 03:04:39 pm »

Quote from: Silverionmox
(One of the things that always seem odd to me in American films America is that sick people in hospitals are required to languish on benches in hospitals for hours.)

Fix'd. It's our healthcare system that's broken.
TBH, I think that all dwarf fortress problem solving falls either on the "Rube Goldberg" method, or the "pharaonic" one.
{Unicorns} produce more bones if the werewolf rips them apart before they die.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2009, 03:24:10 pm »

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2009, 04:00:53 am »

Quote from: Silverionmox
(One of the things that always seem odd to me in American films America is that sick people in hospitals are required to languish on benches in hospitals for hours.)

Fix'd. It's our healthcare system that's broken.

Actually, it's our insurance system that is most deeply flawed. The effects are just easiest to see in the healthcare system, because it's the most common form of privately held insurance and there is so much expert labor.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2009, 04:13:16 am »

I like this.

You know, the liason gets really irritating sometimes. In one of my earlier forts, I watched the liason follow my mayor around while my mayor was building walls. And then, the liason planted himself on the wall my mayor was building until: Urist McMayor cancels construct building: Site blocked by creature. Or whatever the announcement is.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.
Pages: [1] 2