Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Who will win the final battle of Warriors of Armok, and how?

Fireheart (beheading)
- 5 (33.3%)
Fireheart (bisection)
- 1 (6.7%)
Fireheart (cleaving)
- 5 (33.3%)
Nichaey (beheading)
- 3 (20%)
Nichaey (bisection)
- 1 (6.7%)
Nichaey (cleaving)
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36

Author Topic: Warriors of Armok: Magma of Life [The Final Match: Fireheart vs. Nichaey]  (Read 109965 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Warriors of Armok: Magma of Life [Special: Ironblood vs. Morul]
« Reply #270 on: July 31, 2009, 12:34:10 am »

Well, I note that Morul is rather self-sufficient in combat in a way that few other dwarves are. His adamantine armor was mined by his own pick, extracted and smelted by his own hand. The masterwork weapons and armor were forged by him and carries his name. As such, I consider his gear to be every bit as much of him as his stats.

But in fairness to both Morul and Captain, there's something about each that simply cannot be captured by mere stats. To the best of my knowledge, no other dwarf has ever taken on 80 orcs (upgraded, no less) singlehandedly - and emerged without a scratch (not to mention doing it a dozen times). And Captain's unique feats neither need be recounted, nor will Morul ever match them.

And that is part of the challenge with pitting them against each other. There's a certain something about each that I'm not sure can be fully replicated in an artificial setting.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: July 31, 2009, 12:49:32 am »

Morul has the Book learnins, Ironblood has a cabinet-bashing amount of experience.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: July 31, 2009, 02:30:42 am »

Well, I note that Morul is rather self-sufficient in combat in a way that few other dwarves are. His adamantine armor was mined by his own pick, extracted and smelted by his own hand. The masterwork weapons and armor were forged by him and carries his name. As such, I consider his gear to be every bit as much of him as his stats.

But in fairness to both Morul and Captain, there's something about each that simply cannot be captured by mere stats. To the best of my knowledge, no other dwarf has ever taken on 80 orcs (upgraded, no less) singlehandedly - and emerged without a scratch (not to mention doing it a dozen times). And Captain's unique feats neither need be recounted, nor will Morul ever match them.

And that is part of the challenge with pitting them against each other. There's a certain something about each that I'm not sure can be fully replicated in an artificial setting.

What's hilarious about this is that the "artificial setting" is actually the real setting.  We're seeing what the actual Captain Ironblood character actually is, stripped of Captain Mayday's storytelling abilities.  In Nist Akath, Ironblood is this demigod that does some mayorin' between bashing in skulls with cabinets, fighting hydras in the buff, smashing entire skelks together with his bare hands, and eating the occasional crumpet.  Something creatures of legend fear and mere mortals hope to one day achieve.  This fight can never truly be tested because the Ironblood that has been described can never actually be manifested in-game.  Whatever his actual character is has been totally overwritten by Mayday's epic tale.

It's this sort of thing that makes the DF community amazing.

Fake Edit:Wow.  I think I just kinda lost my point there, but you can see where I was going.  Also, I meant no offense to any party involved in this post.  I'm just trying to state a point.

Real Edit: That said, Bloodbeard did a pretty good job setting the fight up and applying the character where it needed to be, and definitely made a better fight than any of the 50 or so I did back in June.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 02:39:20 am by crash2455 »
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: July 31, 2009, 07:55:39 am »

LOL, I tied it back up by accident.

Loved the Ironblood v. Morul fight, that was epicness on a scale that I didn't think was possible, considering most DF fights take about 3 seconds real-time, but you were able to make something truly grand out of it.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: July 31, 2009, 12:35:54 pm »

9 to 9.  Grrrr.  Someone break the tie in Rysith's favor!

No offense FireHeart!  Don't slice me up!

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: July 31, 2009, 12:57:47 pm »

I did it. Go Rysith!
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 31, 2009, 01:01:44 pm »

Meh, it still all comes down to the actual fight.

I want this to end now so I can join in!
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: July 31, 2009, 01:08:25 pm »

You got your wish Toony  :P

I agree with Martin and Crash, this fight can't truely be made artificially, but we can come awful close  ;)

Should Ironblood and Morul engage in combat in their true settings it would be the wills of the community to decide who would win. No offence to Martin but in that case Ironblood will win hands down. He's just far too badass, not to mention his guards would mop the floor with Morul even in an artificial setting. In all I think it comes down to personal opinion rather then factual opinion.

I hope this hasn't made Fireheart vs. Rysith seem like two playground kiddies throwing sand at each other  :D (the spinning sand pierces his heart, it explodes in gore)

Fireheart vs. Rysith has taken place. I really don't want to tease you any more with that pre-final thing I was talking about so the next update will be the finals.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: July 31, 2009, 01:10:43 pm »

Boo-yah!  Zvarri!  Alright!  Doob a doob a doob.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: July 31, 2009, 01:43:19 pm »

He's just far too badass, not to mention his guards would mop the floor with Morul even in an artificial setting.

Well, I can't possibly dispute Captain's badassery, but Morul is still a newcomer to combat, relatively speaking, and I think he can overcome even the Nist guards thanks to having orcs to play with.

Morul won't be giving up the fight. ;)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: July 31, 2009, 01:46:18 pm »

Ironblood got a head start, but Morul is moving faster!  Soon the two will switch/intersect.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: July 31, 2009, 01:52:34 pm »

Yes, but don't forget if Morul survives the first fight, Ironblood shall rise again to strike him down while he is starving, bloodied, unconscious, and carrying an infant. The true Dwarven way!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: July 31, 2009, 02:00:09 pm »

One lung, broken back, missing foot, etc.

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: July 31, 2009, 02:14:49 pm »

That asian man scares me.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: July 31, 2009, 03:41:31 pm »

Me thinks it might be worthwhile to reduce the damage weapons do after the tournament. Even with their increased price they still cause far too much damage for armour choices to be a critical part of a fight.

Right now, without any skill enhancements a ≡copper battle axe≡ will do 130.68 points of damage while a ≡copper chain mail≡ (which costs twice as much) only removes 59.4/35.64 points of damage (don't ask about the split numbers, all I know is that only one is taken into account on attack). This is about equal to an armourless dwarf being attacked in the chest with a 1-7 or 1-9.5 attack, which is pretty severe.

The only way for armour to play a significant role is if they are the same quality as the weapon attacking them, and I doubt that would happen unless I put more rules into effect. I don't want to do that so the only other option is to reduce their damage by say 20-30%. It won't have an enormous impact but there will be alot more lighter injuries as opposed to serious injuries on nearly every single hit.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 36