Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Toughest dwarf ever  (Read 1213 times)

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
Toughest dwarf ever
« on: July 01, 2009, 08:48:10 am »

So I had this miner who was wandering outside the fort, when she was suddenly attacked by a frogman and a snakeman. She killed the frogman, than got paralyzed by the snakeman and somehow managed to kill the snakeman (possibly he bled to death). She had 3 yellow wounds and a mangled left lower arm, and she was paralyzed. It was the first time one of my dwarfs got paralyzed, so I checked the wiki. When I focused on df again not 20 seconds later, she was happily mining again, without a single scratch left. Is this dwarvenly possible, or is this a bug?
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Toughest dwarf ever
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 08:54:08 am »

if you had a season change in those twenty seconds, it is possible (though not likely) that all the yellow wounds healed, but the mangled left lower arm should not have completely healed....

I would say that it was a bug

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 08:57:49 am »

No season change. Doublechecked my message log, and it was summer just before this al happened.
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 11:47:53 am »

More like wolverdwarf!

Terbert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:50:20 pm »

Are you sure you weren't focused on the snakeman when you thought you were focused on the miner?

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 04:28:22 pm »

Are you sure you weren't focused on the snakeman when you thought you were focused on the miner?

I thought the snakeman was dead.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 04:43:03 pm »

Were any of the yellow wounds to joints like elbows or ankles?

Those heal pretty quickly for no discernible reason.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 05:51:40 pm »

this dwarf must be one of armok's chosen! build her a temple immediatly! decorate it with snakemen bones and cinnabar!

Lexender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 06:50:05 pm »

Wouldn't he be paralyzed because of the snakeman's venom?

I don't even know if they have any.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 10:40:20 pm »

I had a Dwarf who had his arm broken in combat, (yellow wound) and about ten seconds later he was healed.  No season change, and I checked every single one of my military Dwarves just to be sure.

Glitch or not, he's awesome.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2009, 12:09:28 am »

I once had a woodworker sustain a broken hip (yellow) after being attacked by an ambush of goblins (who subsequently died in the traps that were right there). She had a relatively high toughness but not super-dwarven, so I figured once she got some rest she'd be fine. She limped back to the fortress and kept passing out from pain, but I thought she'd make it all right so I moved my attention elsewhere for a little bit.

A few moments later I looked back to see how far the injured dwarf had crawled, and she was missing. When I went to look for her, I found her happily grabbing up the dead goblins' stuff along with the other dwarves who had come to clean up. Her injuries had completely healed. This has taught me never to underestimate the toughness stat for a dwarf.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2009, 04:37:31 am »

She wasn't even tough. I'm now letting her do a massive amount of mining, so she can get superdwarvenly tough. I think she'll be some kind of indestructible by then, if such a thing exists in dwarven universe. I didn't notice if any of the wounded body parts were joints. Also, I didn't mod anything but adding [PET_EXOTIC] to titans.
*WHACK*

parus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2009, 07:39:21 am »

I've had similar things happen a fair few times, yellow injuries disappearing almost instantly without a season change.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 09:19:53 am »

She wasn't even tough. I'm now letting her do a massive amount of mining, so she can get superdwarvenly tough. I think she'll be some kind of indestructible by then, if such a thing exists in dwarven universe. I didn't notice if any of the wounded body parts were joints. Also, I didn't mod anything but adding [PET_EXOTIC] to titans.

Mining is a good way to gain experience and attributes quickly, but those attributes will not necessarily be toughness. Per the wiki, the attribute gained at any given point (strength, agility, toughness) is random and unrelated to the work being done by that dwarf. I've seen this bear out in my own dwarves. However, you might want to hope for agility over toughness anyway, as agility means she can work and train faster. I set a perfectly agile dwarf to mining and in practically no time she leapt up to a very high level of skill. An agile dwarf also has significant advantages in combat, and in running away from combat.