Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Non-violent Games  (Read 5507 times)

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Non-violent Games
« on: July 01, 2009, 02:52:01 am »

Okay, posting this in the Dwarf Fortress forum is like "WHAT? THOSE EXIST? OH MAH GOD", but still. I'm wanting to see what all kinds of non-violent games there are, that don't completely suck. Now, violence doesn't have to be completely eradicated in the game, but it should be primarily non-violent.

Examples:

Sims
Creatures
Sim City

etc, etc, you get the idea. So, any suggestions for good non-violent games? Any ones you really enjoyed?

- Kayla

(By the way, I love me some Sims)

Edit: The whole reason for this, is, as I'm sure some of you may know, if you dawdle on something enough, it starts seeping into your subconscious/dreams. So play a single game enough, and you start dreaming about it. For me, I've been playing awfully brutal games recently, and it's affecting my sleep, and my subconscious is much more real than any videogame. So I decided I'm going to switch over to some non-violent games, and see if that helps. I'm currently playing stuff like Bejeweled and The Sims 3 now. But there seem to be very few good nonviolent videogames. Thus this thread.

In a complete sidenote, same theme, but for anime. Any good non-violent, or non-fighting/combat anime you know of?

« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 03:05:24 am by Kayla »

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-violent Games
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 04:00:07 am »

Puzzle Pirates (free mmo)
Puzzle Quest/Puzzle Kingdoms (Really interesting Bejeweled game)

These are the first games that pop up when I am thinking of non-violent games that I really enjoyed.

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 04:18:41 am »

Music games, if you haven't tried any out yet.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 04:41:13 am »

I'd disagree on Puzzle Pirates, because it can still be fiercely competitive--you can go to sleep resentful or angry at another player sometimes.  But such is the nature of anything multiplayer I guess.

I heartily second music games--Rock Band, Dance Dance Revolution, and Osu! are great for that.  Be warned that THEY will seep into your dreams too, however!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 04:53:35 am »

If it's Osu, I recommend the touhou music pack! THey are <godly>!

Also, Stepmania should be in that list too..

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 05:06:00 am »

I'd disagree on Puzzle Pirates, because it can still be fiercely competitive--you can go to sleep resentful or angry at another player sometimes.  But such is the nature of anything multiplayer I guess.

I heartily second music games--Rock Band, Dance Dance Revolution, and Osu! are great for that.  Be warned that THEY will seep into your dreams too, however!

It's not so much the competitive part I want to remove, although I must say, I'm not overly competitive in any case. It's specifically the violence.

For example, today, when I was dreaming, I was standing in front of another person. He was just doing his own business, and then all of a sudden, a sword flew out of nowhere and chopped his head right off. I didn't scream, or look away, I didn't even flinch. I just looked at the blood splatter everywhere and on me as he slowly fell to the ground. I just stood there, watching the blood come out of his neck, and his still alive eyeballs, twitching about.

It was at that point I realized I needed to cut back some on the violence.

*nods*

As for music games, they're all fine and dandy except for the room department. I don't have much room in my apartment to place entire things of guitars and drum sets and whatnot. But I do like the computer/keyboard versions of DDR.

- Kayla

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 05:39:10 am »

Violence can be abstracted away so you don't feel it at all... like chess. Even when it's explicitly stated as a war, it can be done without affecting your mind, like in Civilization (the original board game and Sid's PC and board game).

On the other hand, even if a game has nothing violent on the surface, while playing it you can still be filled with intent to hurt the other players. You will do everything you can to mislead, trick, betray, back stab, etc. to advance your position.

:P

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 06:28:41 am »

In a complete sidenote, same theme, but for anime. Any good non-violent, or non-fighting/combat anime you know of?

K-On!
Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei most of the time.
Spice and Wolf

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 06:56:38 am »

Monkey island and Audiosurf
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 07:33:04 am »

Harvest Moon. While cheesy, (Plus Anime scares me) it is still loads of fun.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 07:37:49 am »

Harvest Moon. While cheesy, (Plus Anime scares me) it is still loads of fun.

Do I scare you then?

Monkey island and Audiosurf

Monkey Island is pure gold.
Pirate gold!

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 08:00:04 am »

Kyntt and Kyntt Stories

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 08:44:34 am »

Animal Crossing. My girlfriend loves it.

Violence can be abstracted away so you don't feel it at all... like chess. Even when it's explicitly stated as a war, it can be done without affecting your mind, like in Civilization (the original board game and Sid's PC and board game).

Damn beat me to it!

I'd say something like Desktop Tower Defence is another good example. Something which things 'die' but their is no explicit violence.

Um otherwise Portal (and the free flash version), Snood (horrible horrible puzzle game because it is so addictive), Nethack, Chess, Go.

Risk even?
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 08:48:35 am »

Nethack? Non-violent?

What are you blabbering about?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 08:50:31 am »

Sports and Racing games...

Kongregate has some neat stacking and bridge building games.  Also a few machine games
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5