Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Non-violent Games  (Read 5487 times)

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-violent Games
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2009, 06:13:06 pm »

He said there could be violence. It just needs to be out of focus.

For example Zoo Tycoon with the Dinosaurs... The Dinosaurs could escape and eat your guests and need to be shot.

I'm about as far as it gets from being a he. Thanks though. I'm very very much a she. As you pointed out, I did indeed say there could be violence, cause in many games, even without violence on the focus, there can still be some. See: Roller Coaster Tycoon with the rollercoaster track not being completed, shoots out and can land on guests.

Beyond that, there are some great suggestions! Thanks everyone!

- Kayla, who is a woman. Notice the name.

*giggles*

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2009, 06:23:18 pm »

In that case If you do get or try Harvest moon: Friends om mineral town get the "More friends" version. That way you don't end up in the odd situation of playing a guy and marrying a girl. I know that would be awkward to me. XD
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2009, 06:27:51 pm »

I'm going to make a thief named Sniper Joe ♥

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2009, 06:30:02 pm »

Oh? How about an archer named Okenido then? ♥ They can be... Friends... ♥ ♥ ♥
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2009, 06:33:56 pm »

Oh this shit is getting ridiculous now. Eh.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2009, 06:53:44 pm »

It woudn't be if they were pretty :<
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2009, 07:03:09 pm »

Studies actually show that violent video game reduce violence in children.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2009, 07:35:53 pm »

What is interesting is the choice between non-violent games and games that don't depict violence.

For example Chess is a competitive non-violent game which pits two players on an intelligence level against each other. And then you throw Battle Chess into the mix and suddenly you've got Rooks eating queens, kings shooting bishops, and pawns fighting it out the death. Does that mean Chess regardless of it's presentation is now a violent game?

The reason why I can recommend Civ, Nethack, Desktop Tower Defense and others like it, is because that violence is very abstract. One moment the unit is there and the next it isn't. It takes your imagination to be able to fill in that blank unlike games like Soldier of Fortune which leave little to the imagination.

Oh and here a few more non-violent games that I've just remember (if you've the game consoles that its)

Loco-roco
Any Katamari game
Lemmings
Any Tycoon game
Ace Attorney
Thief (this makes the game extra hard if you going around not killing anyone!)
Little Big Planet
Super Mario Galaxy
Viva Piņata
World of Goo
Braid
Mario Kart
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 01, 2009, 07:44:36 pm »

Well at least you didn't think that dream was "Hella cool."  So you're still not a total psychopath.

Planettes has hardly any violence in it, it's not about violence at all.  It's also really awesome.  You must watch it.  Everyone must watch it!  Now!

As for video games, that reminds me of something.  Apparently Afrika just came out for PS3.  It's a photography game.  You stalk animals in the safari to take pictures of them.  It's funny because reading the Gametrailers  comments on the game was like watching some late nineties movie.  "What is this?  This is boring?  Why would you make a game where you take pictures of animals instead of killing them?  What a waste of money!"  There's also Total Annihilation, which is about violence between two fully mechanized forces.

Also, check out Facade if you haven't already.  It's kind of disturbing even though it's not violent, and it's very short, but it's something to keep you busy for a short while.

EDIT: Katamari isn't violent?  You roll a gigantic ball around crushing everything in it's path into it.  http://www.gametrailers.com/video/katamari-damacy-hawp/50470
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 01, 2009, 08:36:38 pm »

The reason why I can recommend Civ, Nethack, Desktop Tower Defense and others like it, is because that violence is very abstract. One moment the unit is there and the next it isn't. It takes your imagination to be able to fill in that blank unlike games like Soldier of Fortune which leave little to the imagination.
The problem with Nethack is that it has text describing what happens and I think it even has these actions sometimes produce corpses. I'm also pretty sure Civilization describes what's happening as combat somewhere in the help files (and Civ4 even features combat animations). A text-only game can be violent as well.

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2009, 08:41:55 pm »

Yay for not being a total psychopath.

On this note, and slightly offtopic, what good city building, or in general, building games do you know of?

I never really enjoyed Sim City, because you mostly just placed down the districts, and the buildings cropped up by themselves. I'm looking for something a little more indepth. There was a game...Tropico? or Pirate Cove, or something like that, which was alright, but it's not very modern, and was very buggy.

Preferably the building game is port style, such as building ships, loading them with cargo, and setting them to sail, while managing your port city.

I hope that's clear enough. *giggles*

- Kayla

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 01, 2009, 10:14:22 pm »

Medieval Port Authority Tycoon?

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 01, 2009, 10:39:06 pm »

Maybe you want to try the Merchant Prince series (very old), or Europa 1400.

I'll reiterate Pharaoh, it's much more in depth than sim city. You place individual market places, granaries, temples etc, manage food, housing, wages, fire protection, entertainment, mining...

Kayla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2009, 03:39:19 am »

I tried Anno 1701, and lost three hours that flew before I knew it. It's nice enough.

- Kayla

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2009, 04:56:40 am »

Well there's also Anno 1602, 1503, and 1404.  For some reason the last one is called Dawn od Discovery in the US.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5