Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Cat leather is inadequate [SOLVED]  (Read 1346 times)

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
Cat leather is inadequate [SOLVED]
« on: July 01, 2009, 12:57:27 am »

So i'm starting a nifty new fort, and things are coming along swimmingly. There's an exess of migrants recently, but i can roll with it. Suddenly, some random metalsmith is posessed, the only metalsmith I have besides the peasant wood burner.

Now, he claims his shop and gathers up some iron. He then stops in a deadlock. I check the workshop, and he askes for leather. No problem, I made a workshop and tanned the hides my new hunter kept bringing in.

However, The smith seemed not to register the leather. Odd, I thought. So I designated some useless animals (kittens) for butchering, and their hides were tanned as well. Nothing from the metalsmith.

Desperately trying to keep my only smith from flipping out, I bought several bins of assorted leather from the humans that had recently arrived. The smith wanted nothing to do with that, either, and ended up going melancholy looking for leather while there was a leather stockpile in the same room.

Not that i'm particularily dissapointed (It was a posession after all), but is this a bug, or do dwarves have some unreasonable high standard of leather quality for their hammers?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 02:38:24 pm by Vincent »
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Cat leather is inadequate
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2009, 01:18:47 am »

Not all leather is equal, tho' I admit this is rather finicky, even for a dwarf.

Check in his profile for likes - any specific leather?

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:22:14 am »

Are you sure he didn't want something else? I think the items they list are in random order.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2009, 01:29:00 am »

Let him cycle through all his demands when viewing the workshop, and make sure that you have everything. Ive found that moody dwarfs will retrieve them in a specific order, and if one is missing, he'll ignore everything else.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2009, 03:47:31 am »

Ensure also that you have 2-3 of each item the dwarf wants. Often I've been stumped only to find out he actually wanted THREE stones, which is not always obvious. The only indicator is that the "need stone" message stays there for slightly longer than the others as it cycles.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 04:23:12 am »

Are you sure he didn't want something else? I think the items they list are in random order.

they may appear in a random order, but he'll collect them in the order that they appear.

so stone (3 secs), leather (1 sec), wood (1 sec) mean he wants stone, stone, stone, leather, wood.

If you were checking back on the workshop and only ever seeing leather, perhaps the moody dwarf was really desperate for leather, ie leather was flashing for 5 seconds or whatever, and any other material for only a brief amount of time. if that's the case, mebbe you had leather, but not enough? (although you did say you bought a bin of leather which suggests that is probably not the case)....just trying to think through all the angles....

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 07:49:45 am »

You can also check workshop items (t) to see what he gathered so far. This could let you spot that his babbling about leather was irrelevant if he already brought some - and he actually wanted something else among things he mention in his babbling.

Vincent

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you really butcher this kitty?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 02:37:43 pm »

Now that I think of it, His babbling for metal lasted longer than it did for leather. He must've wanted two or three types of metal. Irony is, I was going to go to smelt some galena before he went emo so that I could make some silver statues for the entrance.

He's long dead and I've since gotten another mood, a leatherworker, who ended up demanding shells and going insane because this fort's in a hot savanna where all the pools dry up.

Oh well, thanks for the help.
[CREATURE:VINCENT]
   [INTELLIGENT]
   [liKES_CATGIRLS]
   [NOCTURNAL]

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Cat leather is inadequate [SOLVED]
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 02:50:37 pm »

For your next fortress, bring 11 turtles and a couple cavelobsters in your starting barrels - forbid the shells once you have them.  Easy insurance against such.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 02:58:59 pm »

You don't actually have to forbid the shells because your dwarves won't use them unless you tell them to.  So all you have to do is refrain from spamming shell-related stuff in the craftsdwarf's workshop and you won't use up any of them.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 03:25:31 pm »

Make sure your refuse stockpile for shells is INDOORS, or you will be very sad!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 03:35:14 pm »

You don't actually have to forbid the shells because your dwarves won't use them unless you tell them to.

These are new players and dwarfs we're talking about - short of walling the shells up in sealed room, it will go wrong if it can.  ;)

dieinafire

• Bay Watcher
  • needs alcohol to get through the day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 08:46:12 pm »

Make sure your refuse stockpile for shells is INDOORS, or you will be very sad!

THIS.

seriously, had i thought of actually designating a refuse pile INDOORS for shells only, i would of saved 20+ moody dwarves.

see, you can learn something new about this game every day you browse here. kickass and thx for the lesson sowelu.

toast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2009, 11:48:09 am »

Dwarf companion lets you see a list of what the moody dwarf wants. Ever since, everytime i get a moody dwarf, i just open that up and read what he wants. because it is in a list, i know how much of everything. this greatly reduced the number of babbling dorfs i had sitting in their own feces in the hallways.

if you wish, you can even change what the dwarf wants. If he asks for shells and you dont have shells, change it to bones. obviously you could consider this cheating, but at the very least i dont feel it is cheating to read the list to see what the silly fellow actually wants.
-Toast-_

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009, 11:38:46 pm »

Dwarf companion lets you see a list of what the moody dwarf wants. Ever since, everytime i get a moody dwarf, i just open that up and read what he wants. because it is in a list, i know how much of everything. this greatly reduced the number of babbling dorfs i had sitting in their own feces in the hallways.

if you wish, you can even change what the dwarf wants. If he asks for shells and you dont have shells, change it to bones. obviously you could consider this cheating, but at the very least i dont feel it is cheating to read the list to see what the silly fellow actually wants.

Is there a version of dwarf companion which works with 40d11?
Pages: [1] 2