Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Falling 42 stories to your death  (Read 5278 times)

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
Re: Falling 42 stories to your death
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 01:48:46 pm »

Today, the local news reported an elevator repairman fell 42 stories to his death in Toronto's CN tower (which is 43 stories tall).

Condolences to their loss, but it got me thinking. It must have been a horrible way to die. Falling 42 stories is what... a minute or more of constant falling? No safety rope, knowing you're going to die. One minute of falling, knowing that your body is going to be splattered all across the bottom. It's different from suicide, because at least in that one, you're looking to die. Here, you've got Joe Normal working on an elevator, then falling for one minute knowing he's going to die.

Yeah... it must really have been a horrible experience.

Sad story.

But makes you wonder, if this happened to you, how would you feel? This must be completely different sensation than when you are for example waiting for execution. The element of surprise may change ot completely. You may not be even scared.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2009, 01:54:23 pm »

Today, the local news reported an elevator repairman fell 42 stories to his death in Toronto's CN tower (which is 43 stories tall).

Condolences to their loss, but it got me thinking. It must have been a horrible way to die. Falling 42 stories is what... a minute or more of constant falling? No safety rope, knowing you're going to die. One minute of falling, knowing that your body is going to be splattered all across the bottom. It's different from suicide, because at least in that one, you're looking to die. Here, you've got Joe Normal working on an elevator, then falling for one minute knowing he's going to die.

Ouch.... :-\ I am wondering that what was he thinking about, while he was falling. I suppose he was "trying to" think about his family or something.

"Holy shit! I'm going to die, wonder what my last thoughts will be *insert worthwhile last thoughts here* ah yeah, crap this sucks."

Would be more along the lines of what I would have thought of.

Yeah...either way he was in shock while falling..more than likely. [Brain shutdown]

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 01:55:30 pm »

Contrary to popular belief, you don't pass out before hitting the ground.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 01:56:23 pm »

Ouch.... :-\ I am wondering that what was he thinking about, while he was falling. I suppose he was "trying to" think about his family or something.

"Holy shit! I'm going to die, wonder what my last thoughts will be *insert worthwhile last thoughts here* ah yeah, crap this sucks."

Would be more along the lines of what I would have thought of.

Yeah...either way he was in shock while falling..more than likely. [Brain shutdown]

You could try bungee jumping and pretend that somehow the rope snaps, than you can tell us what you think.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 01:57:53 pm »

A couple years ago, there was a news story going around about a parachuter whose chute didn't open.  He was wearing a helmet cam, so you got to see what he saw, and hear him freaking out the whole way down.

Well, his chute opened, but it got tangled up and set him in a spiral without really slowing down.  Took about two minutes from when he pulled until he hit, and he was clearly very much aware of the entire scenario as it was happening.  He even put his hand up to frantically wave goodbye to the camera about twenty seconds before touchdown.

If you couldn't guess by the fact that the video aired anywhere, the guy actually survived.  The chute was just enough to slow him down, plus the bushes he landed in, that when he whumped at 90mph he just broke some bones without permanent injury.  He described it as being extremely harrowing, and taking a lot longer than the real length of the tape suggests.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 02:01:15 pm »

Well you can survive a 42 story fall.

Though that is mostly because you hit terminal velocity way before you hit the ground.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 02:02:33 pm »

Though that is mostly because you hit terminal velocity way before you hit the ground.
You should go and do it to prove it to us. Make sure to turn it into a live podcast.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 02:08:19 pm »

No. You will die. Terminal velocity is way too high to survive. If it is not, there would not be need to invent parachute.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 02:08:29 pm »

A couple years ago, there was a news story going around about a parachuter whose chute didn't open.  He was wearing a helmet cam, so you got to see what he saw, and hear him freaking out the whole way down.

Well, his chute opened, but it got tangled up and set him in a spiral without really slowing down.  Took about two minutes from when he pulled until he hit, and he was clearly very much aware of the entire scenario as it was happening.  He even put his hand up to frantically wave goodbye to the camera about twenty seconds before touchdown.

If you couldn't guess by the fact that the video aired anywhere, the guy actually survived.  The chute was just enough to slow him down, plus the bushes he landed in, that when he whumped at 90mph he just broke some bones without permanent injury.  He described it as being extremely harrowing, and taking a lot longer than the real length of the tape suggests.

Link or it didn't happen, also disregard that I have the google toolbar.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 02:08:50 pm »

That reminds me of something I always wanted to research.  If you're falling without a chute--or with minimal chute, where DO you want to land?  Bushes?  Doesn't seem like enough with no chute.  Trees?  Probability of horrible impalement very high, but perhaps the best bet for surviving if you get really lucky.  Water?  Or is it true that water's just like concrete at that speed?  If you hit water, do you want to take a diving stance head- and arms-first, or try to do it legs-first, or do you want to try and let your legs be kind of loose and sacrifice them to protect you?

Fun, if very morbid, fact:  In urban areas, veterinarians have noticed that pets that fall 2-3 stories often survive, pets that fall 4-8 stories usually die, but pets that fall 10+ stories have a greater chance of survival.  This is because the pets in that middle range tense up, but at very high ranges, they relax again.  If you're a cat, relaxing your limbs is the way to go (but you probably still want to land on your feet).

Oh yeah.  The original reason I was going to post.  42 stories...let's say 12 feet per story.  504 feet.  Gravity is 32 feet per second per second, and the distance you fall in t seconds is (32/2)(t^2).  He would have fallen for 5.6 seconds given that height assumption, and assuming he didn't bounce off any walls (ouch).  Hit the ground at 180 feet per second.  The bottoms of elevator shafts, whether they have an elevator at the bottom or not, aren't flat either.  Ouch...But that is NOT enough time to get out more than a small handful of panicked words.

Oh yeah, terminal velocity.  Wikipedia claims in free-fall position, that's 55 meters per second or...math...hey, wait.  180 feet.  He hit terminal velocity at the same time he hit the ground.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 02:12:37 pm »

If there are people nearby you want to land in deep mud.  If there aren't, you'll just drown.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 02:26:09 pm »

No. You will die. Terminal velocity is way too high to survive. If it is not, there would not be need to invent parachute.

There have been plenty of people who have survived Terminal Velocity.

Mind you most of them landed on something soft like snow. (Which would be the woman who fell out of an airplane... the equivilant of 100s of stories)

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 03:06:20 pm »

That actually happened in New Zealand. What he landed was Blackberry bushes, Link: http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=30258&in_page_id=34

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 03:07:40 pm »

At this point... Id kinda would love a list of people who survived Terminal Velocity situations.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5