Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Megaproject Idea: Self-Rebuilding Tower  (Read 992 times)

DanielLC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Megaproject Idea: Self-Rebuilding Tower
« on: June 30, 2009, 09:38:29 pm »

We've all heard of fortresses inside magma vents that you can drop with the pull of a lever. I suggest making one that rebuilds itself.

Build a water tower three z-levels high adjacent to the magma vent. Three floors above the ground, build walls where you want your rooms (that is, inside your rooms). On the second floor, build a wall where you want your stairwell, and on each adjacent tile (not counting corners). Attach those to the water tower via the z-level four above the magma vent. On both those floors, fill all the space without walls (where the walls will be on the completed tower) with retracting bridges. Build walls around where the tower will be. Leave a space for the water tower. Hanging down from the walls for the stairwell, build the stairwell itself. Optionally, build magma-safe bars for the floor adjacent to the stairs. If you don't, dwarves can still go between the stairs and building diagonally. Build a hatch on the bottom of the starwell, and one on each adjacent tile. Two levels below where the stairwell ends, build a floor up to one tile before the building. Then build a support on the last built tile, and build a floor on it and between it and the tower. There may be a better way to do that last step. It's intended as a the part that drops the tower. Build a bridge up to the tower on the surface of the vent.

I will leave the required dwarf computer up to you. Here is how the operation will go:

• First, the magma vent is emptied so there is no magma in the z-level directly under the stairwell, but there is just below that.
  • The second and third stories above the vent are filled with water.
  • The retracting bridges on the second story open.
  • Wait until the magma fills another level.
  • The retracting bridges on the third story open.
  • Wait until the magma fills another level.
  • Go to step 2 until the highest floor is built.
  • If you want a roof, go to step 2 again, but only use the second story.
  • Open the hatches.
  • Drain the magma vent at least two stories below where you did the first time so there's at least one empty space between the building and the magma.
  • Wait for all the magma to drain out of the building.
  • Close the hatches.
  • Wait until you want to drop the tower.
  • Destroy the support.
  • Rebuild the support.
  • Go to step 1.

Unfortunately, I'm to lazy and undwarven to do it myself. Any volunteers?

Edit: realized you don't need a retracting bridge at the bottom.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:16:35 pm by DanielLC »