Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d12] Underground Pool Pressure, and melting rivers.  (Read 650 times)

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
[40d12] Underground Pool Pressure, and melting rivers.
« on: June 30, 2009, 04:02:51 pm »

So I dug in an underground pool, which was nice, because the river was frozen all year long.
Three... Odd things on this map.

1. Digging into the side of the bottom of the pool (ca 3 layers of 777 water above that level), into a cistern. The cistern fills INSTANTLY. Like.. FLUSH, done. Allright...

2. Now my cistern has a 4/5 water on its top level, but the pool has a nice, topped off 7/7 level. They are still connected through a hallway 2 levels deeper, though. Communicating vats don't seem to apply, much.

3. Major Project: Melt the River! I succeeded by digging a magma canal under the entire river, but the river can never refill, because the last tiles on the edge of the map are not 'diggable'. Which is a shame. Lucky for me, the river refreezes and instantly melts with every seasonal change, magically replenishing it...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d12] Underground Pool Pressure, and melting rivers.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:41:57 pm »

#1 is solved by understanding water pressure.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2009, 01:40:16 am »

If I get what you're saying for two:

Code: [Select]

+======+          +=====+
|7777777|         |45444|
|7777777|         |77777|
|7777777+=========+77777|
|77777777777777777777777|
+=======================+

I think that it would just be a result of the way water works, it's a bit random sometimes.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2009, 03:45:27 am »

Yeah Strife, that's exactly what I got. Bit random indeed, but as I'd never seen it before, and never encountered a natural pool before, I thought it might be something to do with the pool itself.

As to water pressure, the only natural sources I ever dug into were 1 level deep, and then you get the 'normal' way of water progressing through your tunnels. I was just surprised...

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2009, 04:04:01 am »

And I found the answer to #3: you can engrave fortifications in the last tiles.

Okay, all three solved, topic closed!  ;D

jokuvaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 10:53:02 pm »

first time i found underwater pool i was making my standard well project, digging fortification, door and another door but somehow i managed to get BOTH doors stuck with something, first with some item and second with my dorfs drowning corpse, after that i had massive flood straight to chasm after i made some fortifications to clear the area of water, it literally flew over the chasm to level below, bet those antmen were pleased.
Thikut Inethmuzish, Recruit cancels Shooting at Archery Range: Too Insane.