Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Yale Researchers Create First Quantum Processor  (Read 20497 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Yale Researchers Create First Quantum Processor
« on: June 30, 2009, 01:24:25 pm »

http://www.osnews.com/story/21745/Yale_Researchers_Create_First_Quantum_Processor

With all the talk about Moore's Law, and doomsday predictions of the industry hitting the ceiling of what's possible with regular transistors, you'd almost forget that a lot of people are already thinking about the next revolution in computing: quantum computers. Researchers at Yale have succeeded in producing the first working solid-state quantum processor. Highly intriguing, but way over my head.
My knowledge on quantum mechanics is limited, but I'm comforted by the fact that this will probably count for the most of you. Quantum mechanics is a rather complicated field of science that only the brightest minds in the world can fully understand. Quantum computers function on the basis of quantum mechanical phenomena.

The team at Yale built a processor out of two two qubits, artificially made atoms consisting out of billions of aluminium atoms (but acting like a single atom). These qubits can employ two energy states like regular bits (on and off), however, thanks to the magic of superposition, qubits can be placed in multiple states at the same time. For the first time, the Yale team has run simple algorithms on this chip. The qubits on the chip are connected by a quantum bus, "photons that transmit information through wires connecting the qubits".

"Our processor can perform only a few very simple quantum tasks, which have been demonstrated before with single nuclei, atoms and photons," said Robert Schoelkopf, the William A Norton Professor of Applied Physics & Physics at Yale, "But this is the first time they've been possible in an all-electronic device that looks and feels much more like a regular microprocessor."

The quantum states could only be maintained for a microsecond - enough for simple algorithms. The team will now focus their efforts on the ability to maintain the states for longer periods of time, as well as connecting more qubits to the quantum bus; with every added qubit, processing power increases exponentially.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yale Researchers Create First Quantum Processor
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 02:02:29 pm »

Meh, the thought of quantum computers always depresses me. I always picture a world where man has become advance enough to simulate universes and whatnot. Then comes the thought of my existance being a simulation and then I go down the long, long road of "I think therefore I am" and "What's the point of existing in this universe when I can exist in so many others".

Then the moral implications come along and I realize that at that stage of humanity morality has no rhyme or reason.Why is murder bad when they still exist in an infinity other worlds, if anything I'm making their lifes exciting. Being that powerful takes away the simple pleasure in life. I like my normal, blissfully ignorant existance as it is. Oh and tacos, I like tacos.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:10:42 pm by Smitehappy »
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 02:06:46 pm »

I only know quantum physics, what's the gist of quantum mechanics?

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 02:07:30 pm »

Pretty much quantum physics applied to movement and location.

But will it be able to run Dwarf Fortress?

Not without a complete rewrite. It's after all written in a language that only supports bits. To use qubits you'd need quite a different language. And then there's the question if the current aglorythems can take advantage of the quantum superpositions, which they probably can't since they're made for linear processors.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 02:21:23 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if we could simply translate the DF data into qubit-compatable language.  Simply, but not necessarily easily or quickly.

Meh, the thought of quantum computers always depresses me. I always picture a world where man has become advance enough to simulate universes and whatnot. Then comes the thought of my existance being a simulation and then I go down the long, long road of "I think therefore I am" and "What's the point of existing in this universe when I can exist in so many others".
Don't worry dude.  The matrix breaks so much more than the laws of thermodynamics.  Even quantum computers wouldn't be able to simulate the entire earth - you'd need more matter to store all the data on an atom in a form other than an atom than the matter in the atom.  Simply put, there's not enough room on earth for a system capable of doing that.  It's beyond the physical capacity of matter.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 02:28:21 pm »

The only part of DF that quantum computing could improve is pathfinding. It's not fairy dust that you can sprinkle on a program to make it run better. It will only help in situations where multiple possible inputs must be tested for one correct outcome.
!!&!!

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:13:10 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised if we could simply translate the DF data into qubit-compatable language.  Simply, but not necessarily easily or quickly.

Don't worry dude.  The matrix breaks so much more than the laws of thermodynamics.  Even quantum computers wouldn't be able to simulate the entire earth - you'd need more matter to store all the data on an atom in a form other than an atom than the matter in the atom.  Simply put, there's not enough room on earth for a system capable of doing that.  It's beyond the physical capacity of matter.

The "Don't worry, it's not possible thing" excuse never had much meaning to me. Alot of major technological breakthroughs were considered impossible one or two generations before.
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13556-10-impossibilities-conquered-by-science.html?page=2
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 03:54:59 pm »

I agree with Smitehappy. There's no real such thing as "not possible". It's more like, "we can't imagine it happening right now". Luckily, a lot of scientists have very large imaginations.

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 04:10:00 pm »

I wonder, couldn't a Dyson Sphere have enough power to simulate a single planet?
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 04:33:15 pm »

I wonder, couldn't a Dyson Sphere have enough power to simulate a single planet?

Yeah, I think this is the case with many sufficiently advanced FICTION aliens made one.
Because it's power output would be very large, and can be used for any other, equally breath-taking projects.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 04:43:26 pm »

I think that's comparative to someone from 1890 asking if a thermo-nuclear power plant can power a satalite for more than 100 years.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 05:24:17 pm »

Power, maybe, mass, probably not, seeing as how even constructing one isn't feasible.  We'd be far better off harvesting plasma from the sun.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 05:45:16 pm »

It cant run DF. Totally useless.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 08:05:10 pm »

http://www.osnews.com/story/21745/Yale_Researchers_Create_First_Quantum_Processor

Quantum mechanics is a rather complicated field of science that only the brightest minds in the world can fully understand. Quantum computers function on the basis of quantum mechanical phenomena.

The team at Yale built a processor out of two two qubits, artificially made atoms consisting out of billions of aluminium atoms (but acting like a single atom). These qubits can employ two energy states like regular bits (on and off), however, thanks to the magic of superposition, qubits can be placed in multiple states at the same time. For the first time, the Yale team has run simple algorithms on this chip. The qubits on the chip are connected by a quantum bus, "photons that transmit information through wires connecting the qubits".

Just tell me if it can run Crysis.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6