Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Yale Researchers Create First Quantum Processor  (Read 20487 times)

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Yale Researchers Create First Quantum Processor
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2009, 03:44:53 am »

Damn, I hate engineering. Just when I thought I mastered electronics, someone has to make it obsolete.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2009, 06:28:48 pm »

Damn, I hate engineering. Just when I thought I mastered electronics, someone has to make it obsolete.
;D

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2009, 08:44:04 pm »

Just thought of something. Wouldn't brute-force hacking be much, much more effective with quantum computing? Granted the technology is decades away, but still. The main drawback to brute-forcing something is time and quantum computing would pretty much eliminate that.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2009, 09:59:37 pm »

Pretty much quantum physics applied to movement and location.

But will it be able to run Dwarf Fortress?

Not without a complete rewrite. It's after all written in a language that only supports bits. To use qubits you'd need quite a different language. And then there's the question if the current algorythems can take advantage of the quantum superpositions, which they probably can't since they're made for linear processors.

That is very true- it is a problem that we see today going from 32-64 bit processors...
Assume that we write a qprogram that emulates a modern environment or what have you with some inefficiency- say, 10 qoperations per simulated operation. Then we run it on a machine that is capable of 1,000 qoperations (a value I've picked for no sound reason) for each 1 operation that a normal computer is capable of.
Even with our inefficency, we still have an emulation that is one hundred times as fast as our original process, without re-writes. Now, who wouldn't mind a 1,000 FPS fortress in a 8x8 area with ocean, magma, 200 cats, and an invasion?

Now, don't get your hopes up, though.
They've been able to make fusion in labs for decades now, but it's still at least decades away from even starting to work.
And frankly, I suspect that this "singularity" thing belongs in the class of science fiction next to treatises on Cavorite. If only for the fact that the only people able to invent computers capable of replacing computer designers would be computer designers. But more important than that- I think there are a lot of elements of true humanlike intelegence that we don't understand.

I think that's comparative to someone from 1890 asking if a thermo-nuclear power plant can power a satalite for more than 100 years.

I think it's a bit more like the first monkey with a wierd thumb asking... well, asking if dyson spheres are practical for planet simulation.

One thing I'd like to point out is that simulating a planet would require that it simulates any moons it might have. In order to simulate it's moons, one would have to simulate the local solar system- which would need to be part of the local cluster.
Basically, in order to accurately simulate a single particle, you need to accurately simulate the universe.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2009, 10:30:00 pm »

Yes, its nowhere near a finished technology, and the researches themselves have said just as much.

As for the "1000 times faster" thing. just add another 3 digits to your key, takes away that advantage.
Magma is overrated.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2009, 08:36:45 pm »

http://www.physorg.com/news165836423.html

Quantum memory successfully made. Potential for quantum entanglement networks, which could allow for faster than light communication.
!!&!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2009, 06:04:54 am »

Faster than light? That would mean it arrives before we see that we sent it.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2009, 06:12:13 am »

It's more having one particle in America and one particle in Europe that are connected through this thingy, then changing the one from America from 1 to 0, the European particle would change at the same time.

Of course they did this at 1m apart.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2009, 06:13:03 am »

It would be ludicrously expensive to do that on a wide scale though...

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2009, 06:14:09 am »

Pretty much, at least until it becomes feasible to do it on a wide scale and at a consumer level.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2009, 06:15:22 am »

It's not very useful to internet gaming then is it?

My dreams of 0 ping are crushed.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2009, 06:16:38 am »

As soon as you start to play the video game and the computer measures all of the quantum elements, don't they sortof become normal elements again?  Or am I missing something?

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2009, 07:58:38 am »

It's more having one particle in America and one particle in Europe that are connected through this thingy, then changing the one from America from 1 to 0, the European particle would change at the same time.

Of course they did this at 1m apart.

Holy shit? Like that crystal in His Dark Material trilogy?

(Yeah, I read the book. Enjoyed the first one, call bs on the 2nd and 3rd for not-that-hidden God-slaying metaphors)

My dreams of 0 ping are crushed.

Not really.
It could do GREAT in limited player situation like a multiplayer DF adventure mode (in a same world).

The world is the raw data.
If one player changes it, the other players get the changes IMMEDIATELY.
And vice-versa.

Boom.
No lag.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009, 08:00:26 am by IndonesiaWarMinister »

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2009, 08:03:49 am »

You'd still have to find some way of, you know, detecting the change in the quantum pair.

And the none quantum parts would still cause lag.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2009, 12:11:16 pm »

Sounds like... dare I say it.. an ansible.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6