Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Melting My Magnificient Masterworks  (Read 2228 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Melting My Magnificient Masterworks
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2009, 08:22:08 pm »

Dwarves and items get shuffled around in cave ins. There's a good chance the dwarf will get captured by the cage trap even if he pulls the lever himself.
Yes, I've just been trying to cage a dwarf deliberately, and when you're actively trying to do it it suddenly becomes difficult. First attempt, the dwarf flew up a z-level (since I built it outside), completely ignoring the trap room and getting slightly injured to boot.

But still, setting up the support and lever is enough of an annoyance that it's worth avoiding the chance of the dwarf falling on it.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2009, 11:42:11 am »

heh, i can remember wanting to cage a bunch of champions so i could come back and free them in adventure mode. i thought i would stick them in a room full of traps till they fell asleep. turns out champions are like chuck norris, they never sleep. i had to keep dropping food and booze in through a hole in the roof to keep them from going crazy, and eventually one snapped, set the others off, and i got my caged champions only without legs and arms and unconcious. also, they dropped most of their adamantium gear as they grew unhappy, so all up it was an epic fail.

doing the cavein thing indoors is the easiest way, better to have the falling floor tile on the other side of fortifications. constructed floor works just as well as natural. very important to check whats underneath the falling bit. dont want to open high presure water or put a hole in the kings bedroom. also, its hilarious that the aparent solution to an unhappy armor smith is to knock him out with a cavein, cage him, then release him. only dwarves would think up such an unusual substitute for prozac...

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2009, 02:19:53 pm »

I was under the impression that anyone who was starving and thirsty wasn't gonna sleep until passing out from dehydration. Thus it probably had little to do with your champions being bad motherfuckers.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009, 09:07:12 pm »

nah, i kept throwing food and booze in to keep them happy. when they get sad they start taking their armor off and dropping their weapons, and i wanted them to keep those. plus in another test i found they still tantrum before passing out from starvation or dehydration as well.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 02:49:56 am »

start churning cheap masterwork items like crazy. That way you will make their loss affordable
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 09:54:06 am »

warning:NEVER MAKE LEGENDARY PREPARED MEALS!
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 10:27:38 am »

Why the fuck not?! My legendary cook makes them all the time and I have yet to see him complain about art defacement.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 11:12:29 am »

Why the fuck not?! My legendary cook makes them all the time and I have yet to see him complain about art defacement.
when mine get eatin he gets sad and usuly goes berzerk
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 11:31:23 am »

Masterwork foods rotting causes art defacement. Eating masterwork food does not.

I suspect that may be the problem, not them being eaten.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 11:42:39 am »

Yep, rotting food makes crabby cooks.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 11:59:12 am »

aww can i sig that =D
Story of my life.

Peewee

• Bay Watcher
  • Watcher Of Bays
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 12:03:55 pm »

Sure you can.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2009, 03:14:44 pm »

At least legendary cooks tend to make a large amount of masterworks. So as long as you save the vast majority of the cook's creations, he/she/it/they shouldn't get too... violently destructive.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.
Pages: 1 [2]