Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Melting My Magnificient Masterworks  (Read 2231 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Melting My Magnificient Masterworks
« on: June 30, 2009, 01:06:25 pm »

So, lately my armourer-in-training's been getting a little uppity and I think it's because I've been melting the cruddy copper things he's been making. Some of them turn out to be Masterworks.

Does melting actually cause bad thoughts? The DF Wiki article doesn't mention it in the Melt Item article.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Melting My Magnificient Masterworks
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:10:40 pm »

Any time a masterwork is lost for any reason except with trading, art defacement occurs. Even though they're copper, the pieces of armor are still fine works of art.

He'll get over it. It's not a big deal if he has a lot of them.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:26:32 pm »

Any time a masterwork is lost for any reason except with trading, art defacement occurs. Even though they're copper, the pieces of armor are still fine works of art.

He'll get over it. It's not a big deal if he has a lot of them.

Uh, well, he had three and I melted two. He's quite upset with me. :)
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 02:14:49 pm »

(The below is from data in the wiki, and may be outdated.)

Most "good/bad thoughts" are in the +/- 3-50 pt range, -50 being killing someone by accident, or losing a child/spouse, and most good thoughts maxing at around +20 or +30 for legendary enjoyments - that level of thing.

Losing a masterpiece is -1000 (yes, negative one THOUSAND) divided by the number of masterworks that dwarf has created.

So, you've handed your dwarf -667 or so for the next year or so, far more than any mist-generator or legendary dining room is going to counteract.  Unless he explodes, he'll probably get over it - but you should stop.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 04:04:28 pm »

(The below is from data in the wiki, and may be outdated.)

Most "good/bad thoughts" are in the +/- 3-50 pt range, -50 being killing someone by accident, or losing a child/spouse, and most good thoughts maxing at around +20 or +30 for legendary enjoyments - that level of thing.

Losing a masterpiece is -1000 (yes, negative one THOUSAND) divided by the number of masterworks that dwarf has created.

So, you've handed your dwarf -667 or so for the next year or so, far more than any mist-generator or legendary dining room is going to counteract.  Unless he explodes, he'll probably get over it - but you should stop.

I was looking for that, was it under Thoughts? Maybe the Melting article should mention this in passing and link to it. :)

I am stopping, now that I figured it out! At first I thought it was just a thief somehow getting in, but yeah. Now I sell the masterworks to people. Mostly the elves, because they have trade agreements to bring me giant scorpions. :D

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 05:09:16 pm »

Thought/thoughts, yes.

Selling MW's is the safe bet, always.  Saves from accidents, etc etc etc.

It's not under "melt" for the same reason it's not under "magma" or "thief" or "dwarf" or "fun" - there are too many ways to lose a masterpiece. 

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 02:08:26 am »

Elvish security deposit service: "We'll make sure no one, yourself included, ever see your precious masterpiece again!"
Even the avatars expire eventually.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 08:41:13 am »

Any time a masterwork is lost for any reason except with trading, art defacement occurs.

I think another exception is when a masterwork is eaten. At least that's what I assume, since I have yet to see an "art defacement" thought in any of my cooks.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2009, 09:26:37 am »

Maybe the cooks get a boost from the compliments and five star reviews. :)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2009, 10:42:05 am »

The only thing that'll immediately counter a bad thought in the high hundreds is the 'happy to be free' thought.

Put a floor tile on top of a support (make sure that the tile on the level below the support is occupied by a wall, be it natural or constructed) and station your unhappy armourer on top of a cage trap a couple of squares away. Cause a cave-in by blowing the support, and the dwarf is now caged. Build the cage and unassign the dwarf, and he'll have +1000 less the drafting and unconsciousness thoughts. The drafting negative thought is not a small one (-30), so be careful. I don't know how the game decides when a dwarf tantrums and how often, but it might push him that little bit too far. Or it might not.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2009, 11:44:13 am »

Assuming this will even work, I think you could avoid the drafting bad thought if you assigned the unhappy armorer to pull the lever himself.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2009, 01:06:44 pm »

to make sure, its best to have a small locked room with fortifications and the collapsing bit on the other side. i use this to catch all my adamantium equipped champions so i can come back and get them in adventure mode. the cavein dust goes through the fortifications and knocks things out on the other side.

its a little too risky to have a valuable dwarf near an unconfined falling roof, its an instant kill if he somehow gets underneath it. and if he ends up unconcious on top of the lever then he wont get caught, so best to have someone else pull it.

this setup is a little complex and will require time and effort. i normally find that really good dining rooms and food can over time fix problems like your one, so long as nothing else bad happens to make them more unhappy. the deciding factor is the dwarves personality. dwarves can have personality traits making them more likely to get melancholy or angry, and outgoing dwarves with lots of friends or pets get more happier thoughts and recover faster. i screen my military for negative traits nowadays, its no fun having your champions commit suicide or go on a spree because they cant deal with seeing their friends die.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2009, 07:20:34 pm »

Assuming this will even work, I think you could avoid the drafting bad thought if you assigned the unhappy armorer to pull the lever himself.
...Which will cause him to pass out on the lever and not the cage trap.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2009, 07:22:23 pm »

Dwarves and items get shuffled around in cave ins. There's a good chance the dwarf will get captured by the cage trap even if he pulls the lever himself.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2009, 07:54:18 pm »

If you don't want your dwarfs using the copper masterwork gear, just forbid it. You'll prevent the use of inferior equipment and keep your smithy happy.
Pages: [1] 2