Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wood to Stone  (Read 627 times)

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
Wood to Stone
« on: June 30, 2009, 11:50:01 am »

Wasn't there a mini-mod or somesuch out there that let someone take a piece of wood and turn it into stone on the smelter?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: Wood to Stone
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 12:32:18 pm »

Dont know whether there is, but its not too hard to make, so,
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

there you go, it doesnt make much sense, but it should work.

Copy paste it into reaction_standart, which you can find in raw/objects.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 12:34:22 pm by Grimlocke »
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:05:46 pm »

Does that "ANY" actually work, or does it just make an error?

Of course, I've had reactions that made an error message and somehow worked better than those that didn't, but that was a long time ago.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 03:04:19 pm »

Out of curiosity, why do you want to turn a piece of wood into stone in the first place?  With a few exceptions(mostly islands), stone is exceedingly plentiful while wood is significantly more rare.

I'll grant you that wood is renewable and stone isn't(trees grow back, after a couple years, stones don't), but still, there's generally so much stone available if you dig down enough and wood is scarce, takes a long time to re-new, and has fairly specific applications(eg, only material you can makes beds out of without modding).  No offense, mod the game anyway that makes it fun(not Fun) for you, but this one just seems a little strange.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 05:03:18 pm »

There's a few situations this could be useful. The first that comes to mind is making mechanisms for mass-pumping an aquifer; even with power, it can be done without mechanisms, but it would make it a tad easier.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2009, 11:18:13 am »

The 'ANY' subtype works, you can even set it as material. I havnt tested it with item type, but who knows. Turning wood to stone would be a horrible pain the backside without it, unless you plan on using only tower cap wood...

Has anyone tested that reaction though?
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Petra

• Bay Watcher
  • Vortex of Doom
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2009, 06:24:03 pm »

Not yet, but thanks.

dualR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2009, 11:57:11 pm »

I'd like to say I tried this and it worked. However the 'any' subtype seems to be an error (Errorlog: Unrecognized Wood Token: ANY ) since putting in an unrecognised one just defaults to any one it works, but I think properly it should be NO_MATGLOSS