Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Fallen Earth - (Now with free trial)  (Read 10211 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen Earth (Open beta via fileplanet)
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 09:50:35 pm »

Yes, I'd really like to know more about how combat works before taking the time to download it.
Where is it on a scale between WoW-like and Oblivion-like?
I think it would be somewhere in between but closer to Oblivion/Elderscrolls series/Fallout3.

Combat is a mix of fps (or 3rd person shooter if you like that better, you can do either 1st or 3rd person and change with the mouse scrollwheel or a button) and your regular mmo abilities. All skills have abilities and stances linked to them which you can learn from books you acquire from trainers. You start with a prime mutation that gives you a few basic powers (shock, heal self, etc) and 3 prime mutation stances which you can use once every 30 mins and last 10 minutes each, so you can actually have mutation stances up all the time. After a certain level you can join a faction and acquire 3 more mutations with more powers as well, but that doesn't mean you stop getting abilities from skills, you can still get and make use of those.

Even non-combat and support skills have nice abilities that can help others during combat, such as the social skills that help you with prices, let you demoralize opponents, taunt or boost morale. There's also a tactics skills that open up certain equipment and team wide stances (can only have one up per team) that give bonus to the team members who are close to you. The main weapon skills (melee, rifles, pistols) also have stances and abilities. Even the armor skill that allows you to wear better armor has abilities that boost your armor for a while for example.

So yeah, basically you can customize your character from the ground up and just because someone is high level it doesn't mean they will be better than you in a certain combat area, it all depends on your skills, abilities and equipment, not just your level.

As far as combat goes, you pretty much go fps/3rdps and use your abilities like in a regular mmo. A nice mix. To my experience, it's also easy to kill stuff that's higher level than you, but the problem is usually getting mobbed. It seems to me that, in pvp, even tho I haven't done any yet, if you get mobbed, even if by lower level people, it's prolly real bad, so working as a group seems to be important.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:52:21 pm by Soulwynd »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 09:55:50 pm »

Is the first person view good?  I know a lot of third person games with a first-person option look really weird in third-person, like they just zoomed in and threw some hands onto the screen without really doing anything to make it look nice.  Hitman 2 did this, but I forgive it because it was the best game in the series by a long shot.
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2009, 01:47:39 am »

Is the first person view good?  I know a lot of third person games with a first-person option look really weird in third-person, like they just zoomed in and threw some hands onto the screen without really doing anything to make it look nice.  Hitman 2 did this, but I forgive it because it was the best game in the series by a long shot.

I use it for rifles, but I don't like it much for pistols or melee. Doesn't look too good, but it works better for some weapons, since you don't have to do that point down thing 3rd person games force you to do.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 09:00:22 am »

I'm less interested in the sneak as stealth aspect, and more in the sneak as avoid aspect.

I liked WoW, until I ran out of interesting places to explore kill things

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 01:27:58 pm »

I'm less interested in the sneak as stealth aspect, and more in the sneak as avoid aspect.

I liked WoW, until I ran out of interesting places to explore kill things
Yeah, I use sneaking to avoid encounters to get deeper into an enemy area before starting a fuzz. It's pretty nice you can do that there.

Seems also that the detection range depends on day and night too. I seem to be able to sneak much better at night.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 01:32:49 pm »

EEEEE.  Do want.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

gamefreak1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 02:40:26 pm »

I'm in this game but I don't know how to check what server I'm on do I type /server or something? I would be willing to join a bay 12 clan I was planning on being a vista but it doesn't really matter.
Is my avatar sexy?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2009, 02:43:11 pm »

I'll prolly get when it comes out... Not crazy interested in a formal clan, but a casual group of not-idiots would be nice

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 02:45:51 pm »

How can we sign up for the next batch of keys, bro?

gamefreak1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 03:24:13 pm »

just go to their website and sign up for the beta alert. the games really laggy right now anyway.
Is my avatar sexy?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 03:46:59 pm »

I'm in this game but I don't know how to check what server I'm on do I type /server or something? I would be willing to join a bay 12 clan I was planning on being a vista but it doesn't really matter.
I'm on the second one... Starts with C I think... They're both people's names it seem, so I didn't memorize them. The first server, starts with A is really fucking laggy.

gamefreak1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 10:00:46 pm »

Apparently the Casta Gaunt server will be offline periodically over the next few weeks for stress tests on the Alec Masters server. :P and it's offline right now.
Is my avatar sexy?

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 01:12:48 am »

Apparently the Casta Gaunt server will be offline periodically over the next few weeks for stress tests on the Alec Masters server. :P and it's offline right now.
Yeah, had to create a character on Alec, level 6 already, I think.

Name: Meow

Add as friend and pm me, lets team up and voice chat. :D

gamefreak1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 10:54:21 am »

I would love to voice chat but I don't have a microphone ::). but I will add you as a friend.
Is my avatar sexy?

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2009, 12:09:43 pm »

I would love to voice chat but I don't have a microphone ::). but I will add you as a friend.
I've got a mic but it seems like my computer doesn't like the 3.5 mm jack ones  ::) I wonder if a usb mic would work though.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6