Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Fallen Earth - (Now with free trial)  (Read 10202 times)

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
Fallen Earth - (Now with free trial)
« on: June 30, 2009, 11:37:23 am »

So, this is one of the MMOs I've had high hopes for and it seems I was partially right to have such hopes. I haven't had any pvp yet, but the game has been interesting so far. It's really moody and the music adds to it pretty well. My personal highlights for the game are:

-Moody visuals: Each sector is rather gigantic and free of any loading times. It really makes you want to use vehicles or hoses. You really feel it's desolated most of the times and the cities improve that feeling, despise people parking horses on top of destroyed cars. Traveling from one city to another sometimes can take as much as 10 minutes on foot and that's with cities that are close to eachother, just to give you an idea of distance.

-Everything you do gives xp: If whatever you do is in your level range, they give you as much xp as a kill. So scavenging, foraging, crafting, etc all are worthwhile. In theory you can level up by crafting alone, but combat can be rather fun and quests are still the major source of xp. On the bright side there are cities specialized in crafting, so there are crafting quests to help you level up.

-Mainly skill based: There are levels, but the only thing levels do is increase your potential for the skills and your hp/stamina/gamma levels. So high level characters aren't exactly equal in combat. In fact, it reminds me a lot of anarchy online. You can focus on non-combat as well and still be effective in battle because of the other abilities you can acquire. Of course a non-combat fellow wont solo combat, but can be a major help.

-Craft craft craft: Crafted items are better than most anything else. That's not to say loot isn't good, but what you loot mostly are resources to use to craft stuff. So combat only fellows can easily be best friends with crafters.

-Offline crafting: You heard it. It's somewhat similar to EVE in this. You have a craft queue where you can set as much crafting as you have materials for. You can log off and the crafting will go on anyway. If you go to a workshop related to the crafting you are doing, you will also gain a 25% speed bonus. For an example to craft a bike, you have to build 3 parts and each takes around 6 hours to be crafted, you can leave it crafting overnight with time bonus by quitting in a science workshop or play as normal while it's being crafted.

-Combat isn't too boring: It's a quasi-fps game, similar to neocron(which I loved back in the day) so you can have quite a bit of fun sniping people, shooting them, slicing them with kitchen knives, etc. Also, weapons are sort of layered and considering the areas you can reach, it makes sense you are using crossbows and zip guns at the beginning, there's simply nothing else out there and you're not good enough to make a real gun out of nowhere. Npcs will also be using improvised weapons instead, so it's not like you're using a crossbow against a guy who has an assault rifle, so it actually fits the mood they try to create.

-Diversity and valuable crafts: There are around 10-20 food recipes that give the same effect and most effects from food and drugs last for one hour and are a rather major bonus, such as regeneration, increased health, increased attributes. So you can bake a pie, or maybe some grilled chicken to have the same nice regeneration effect and still have some diversity on what you can do.

That's about it, I hope I didn't forget anything. I might create a B12 clan if I get any of you to play around with me. I'm playing in the second server right now, as the first one is usually buggy.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 09:48:38 am by Soulwynd »

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
Re: Fallen Earth (Open beta via fileplanet)
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 11:44:53 am »

they're out of keys.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 11:51:34 am »

they're out of keys.
Again? I thought they were giving out almost daily.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:44:49 pm »

Been in it since Closed beta :3 It is incredibly fun, and hearkens back to my SWG days. Finally a high profile, actually good Sandbox MMO after all these years.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 12:46:19 pm »

This isn't an open beta, it's just a stress test.  Maybe there's no difference.  They certainly ran out of keys fast.  Maybe they'll have more soon.
Shoes...

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 01:09:29 pm »

Looks interesting but do you have to be a fileplanet subscriber (ie paying member) to access this even if there were keys avalible?

MarineElite

• Bay Watcher
  • The End is Nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 01:45:05 pm »

It says on their site that it is just a stress test.
Also to those it may concern How to bybass Troubles with your IP on Byond

Koja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 01:59:50 pm »

Looks pretty darned fun. Hopefully it doesnt go the way of SWG :)
~~<BR>"Zombie fish have the added benefit of not needing to breath. Thus they can wade out of the water with little to fear but bigger zombie fish" -Willfor

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 03:52:29 pm »

Hmm, I really liked the Fallout 3 aspect of sneaking around buildings looting the crap out of them, hauling max weight stuff back to town to trade.  Only problem is, I'm lvl 18, have nigh max (less room for bobbles and books) stats for all skills, have the best eq, and haven't started the main quest.

So if this is something like that, where it's got a little bit more legs on it... Count me in

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 05:29:06 pm »

Hmm, I really liked the Fallout 3 aspect of sneaking around buildings looting the crap out of them, hauling max weight stuff back to town to trade.  Only problem is, I'm lvl 18, have nigh max (less room for bobbles and books) stats for all skills, have the best eq, and haven't started the main quest.

So if this is something like that, where it's got a little bit more legs on it... Count me in

Well it's an MMO RPG. There's not really all that much of a sneaking aspect - it's possible but it's not really the path most will choose to go.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 07:47:47 pm »

This isn't an open beta, it's just a stress test.  Maybe there's no difference.  They certainly ran out of keys fast.  Maybe they'll have more soon.
Yeah, my mistake, but thought they were giving keys out daily. I got mine on the second day.

Good luck tho. And you don't have to be a paid member of fileplanet.
Been in it since Closed beta :3 It is incredibly fun, and hearkens back to my SWG days. Finally a high profile, actually good Sandbox MMO after all these years.
It reminds me a lot of anarchy online mixed with SWG actually. I will send out a pm to see if we can catch eachother online some time. :)

Well it's an MMO RPG. There's not really all that much of a sneaking aspect - it's possible but it's not really the path most will choose to go.
Actually, I forgot to say, the stealth system is pretty neat actually. It's based on sound (and how visible you are), so you can crouch and sneak around baddies. I'm not sure how it works in pvp tho.

More screenshot goodies:

MarineElite

• Bay Watcher
  • The End is Nigh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 08:08:11 pm »

I wish I coulda known about this before all the keys got taken :(
Also to those it may concern How to bybass Troubles with your IP on Byond

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 08:27:12 pm »

Damn, I read about this game and it said it wasn't in beta at all, but in development. Weird.

Is it first person? Or does it use abilities in combat?

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 09:25:48 pm »

Yes, I'd really like to know more about how combat works before taking the time to download it.
Where is it on a scale between WoW-like and Oblivion-like?

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 09:26:59 pm »

Yes, I'd really like to know more about how combat works before taking the time to download it.
Where is it on a scale between WoW-like and Oblivion-like?

Yeah, I've been looking for an Oblivion-like MMO FOREVER. The only thing I found was Darkfall, but it seems to be in closed beta, or something. Oh well.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6