Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tundra/Aquifer questions  (Read 1154 times)

msngae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Tundra/Aquifer questions
« on: June 30, 2009, 09:33:55 am »

So... Hi, I'm new here, and I started playing Dwarf Fortress about a month ago, I got bored with the various brook/volcano/Dolomite forts I had and decided to embark on a sinister volcanic freezing tundra island in the middle of the ocean.

Now, I've read the wiki and searched the forums for a bit, but I've still got a few questions:
1. I've got an aquifer (Black/Red Sand) in the area, will breaching the aquifer cause water to seep out?
2. If the water does seep out, will it freeze instantly and turn my miners into dwarfsicles?
3. Are there underground rivers in tundras?
4. If there are, will said underground rivers be frozen?

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tundra/Aquifer questions
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 09:41:22 am »

1. Yes, aquifiers are infinite sources of water

2. only if the tile with water is exposed to the sky. It might drown them, though.

3. Don't really know, I'm leaning towwards no, though

4. As with all other water in cold maps, only if exposed to the sky.
Entropy is not what it used to be.

msngae

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 10:02:53 am »

Thanks Silfurdreki.

Apparently I was digging metric fucktons of sand in the wrong area, I found the aquifer now :P.
You really weren't kidding about the water freezing over, it turned to ice instantly when it hit an above ground square.

One more question though: The water from the aquifer is saline, will it be potable post-freezing? Or will I need to build screw pumps?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 12:16:10 pm »

This sounds like a call for science!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 02:38:20 pm »

SCIENCE!!!   ;D

One more question though: The water from the aquifer is saline, will it be potable post-freezing? Or will I need to build screw pumps?

Obscure question.  I'd build at least one just in case, so there is "some" water, and see.

I ~believe~ that it will melt into fresh water - but the second any fresh water touches saline, it all goes salty.  So you could mine it and move it as blocks "stones" of ice, or try to build a barrier between the saline source and the ice, and then melt it.

But your report may be the only one on such, so do let us know what you find out!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 02:42:28 pm »

If you got the salt water warning before embark the aquifer will give you salt water. Also I’m almost 100% certain that there are no under ground rivers in tundras.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 03:11:20 pm »

Underground rivers only exist in mountain biomes, so no, you won't get underground rivers in a tundra.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:12:37 pm »

Underground rivers only exist in mountain biomes, so no, you won't get underground rivers in a tundra.
What if you were on the border between the two? (this is how I get farms and wood on a HFS/ Magma pipe/ Flux map)

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 03:14:29 pm »

As far as I know underground rivers only appear in mountain biomes.

The ice thing is a good question, make a constructed  cistern and melt some ice in it and let us know :D

I don't think anything underground will be frozen.

What creatures are on your map? It sounds really fun

If you are half xxx and half mountain yes you can get an underground river in the mountain portion.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 03:15:31 pm »

If you are half xxx and half mountain yes you can get an underground river in the mountain portion.
So could you then reroute the river to the tundra and perform the experiments on it?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 03:21:49 pm »

What if you were on the border between the two? (this is how I get farms and wood on a HFS/ Magma pipe/ Flux map)
Features always stay in their own 48x48 tile, as do large clusters and veins.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 03:23:24 pm »

So there'd be a sortof invisible wall?  Wow, even better  ;D

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 08:21:19 pm »

So there'd be a sortof invisible wall?  Wow, even better  ;D
Invisible and intangible. And I've just remembered that veins can cross region tiles, although it's uncommon for them to do that.

Really it just makes for an easy way of finding the big round things. The veins and the cave river and chasm are too narrow to be found by drilling a hole straight down the middle of a region tile, but there is another method for finding the last two. If a cave river occupies more than 1 48x48 tile, it will always be entirely inside those tiles. So to find it, all you have to do is look for the border between two of the tiles it occupies, and do your exploratory mining there. Same for a chasm, except you can find it with the first tunnel.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.