Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: strange, sewerdwelling creature  (Read 3692 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: strange, sewerdwelling creature
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 11:47:53 am »

I imagine it would look like all the other semi-motile crap that accumulates in a fishtank.

Though they're all growing above what appears to be the normal waterline.  Maybe it needs access to air?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 02:09:06 pm »

Looks like an aquatic snail to me, but how would that survive in a sewer?

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 02:18:02 pm »

Wth? I am not allowed to watch this video? When I try to open the link, this message appears: "This video is private."  ???

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 02:24:23 pm »

Looks like an aquatic snail to me, but how would that survive in a sewer?
Snails have shells.

I wouldn't be surprised if it needed access to air to survive.  There's a lot of junk in sewer water, so there probably isn't as much oxygen in it.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 02:27:06 pm »

That movie has haunted me since I saw it last night.  Seriously.

D:

Yeah, I liked the suggestion that it was actually a bunch of small worms, and that they were reacting to the heat from the lamp as the camera-device got closer.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 02:32:36 pm »

Video is private.

Edit:

Okay, no longer private.

After viewing, I have decided that I don't like any of the explanations given, except for the insinuation that it is an elaborate hoax.

That, or the invasion has begun.

Edit2:

Let us assume that the video is legitimate. The text on the video indicates that the sewer pipe that is being inspected is the main pipe for the town, Cameron Village, in North Carolina. If that is the case, the pipe is probably in the range of four feet tall, enough for a man to walk through crouched over. If that is the case, the things range from fist to head sized.

Edit3: Looking at it again, there is another way to get a sense of the scale of the pipe. As the robot moves down the pipe, a counter in the bottom right corner keeps track of the distance it travels, putting roughly two feet between the first and second object.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 03:06:32 pm by Ampersand »
!!&!!

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 03:18:43 pm »

If my biology skills don't fail me I do believe thats a Phylactolaemata.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 03:20:57 pm »

Edit3: Looking at it again, there is another way to get a sense of the scale of the pipe. As the robot moves down the pipe, a counter in the bottom right corner keeps track of the distance it travels, putting roughly two feet between the first and second object.

Which, compared to the scale of the distance, would make the objects a few inches in diameter.

Don't assume that "main sewer" means a pipe big enough to hold multiplayer deathmatches in.  Most real sewers, especially in small towns, are very tiny.  And there's no real indication what "main" means.

That's one reason why I think it's some kind of bullcrap - very thin documentation.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 03:42:33 pm »

Note I would have made a Species reference if not for the total lack of images from that movie that are visibly relevant to the video. Seriously, it's all Natasha Henstridge in various versions of box art.

But yes, whatever we do we shall not use fire. Things like this always seem to either be immune to the stuff, simply go into a spore form or grow from it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2009, 09:06:31 pm »

All I got was the youtube equivalent of a "fuck you" when I clicked the link, i.e. the video was deleted.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2009, 11:01:27 pm »

Which, compared to the scale of the distance, would make the objects a few inches in diameter.

Don't assume that "main sewer" means a pipe big enough to hold multiplayer deathmatches in.  Most real sewers, especially in small towns, are very tiny.  And there's no real indication what "main" means.

That's one reason why I think it's some kind of bullcrap - very thin documentation.

Ah!  I never thought to look at the numbers, but from the *surface tension* of the water alone I thought it was very small scale
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 12:15:33 am »

I never said it was large enough for you to stand tall in, only stand crouched in, which is not so unusual. If the distance moved by the robot is indeed as listed, which was about two feet or so, then I still have to say that the growths were between fist and head sized, which is still, as Aqizzar says, no more than a few inches across.
!!&!!

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 09:49:30 am »

Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2009, 09:53:41 am »

once sewersystems are properly established in DF, it would be awesome to see one of those, except that it would be huge and eating your dwarves

or maybe, a small sized version that eats your cats, and a very rare big one for dwarves
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos
Pages: 1 [2] 3