Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: how did this happen  (Read 859 times)

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
how did this happen
« on: June 30, 2009, 01:47:52 am »

an untrained unarmed peasant with not even any attributes was able to kill a carp without even getting wet
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:16:47 am by yaklin »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: how did this happen
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 02:30:44 am »

an untrained unarmed peasant with not even any attributes was able to kill a carp without even getting wet
Let me guess... He didn't dodge into the water?
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 03:05:22 am »

i dont know i didn't see it one second my castle was being built then i saw the moat had blood in it i look inside and there is a dead carp. i look in the unit list (its still somewhat short) to see who killed it and it was a peasant that was dry as a bone

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 07:24:16 am »

Why not? Carps are quite small and not dangerous by themselves. It's the fact that dwarves tend to dodge in water and random critical hits which are deadly.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 02:10:14 pm »

More specifically, it's that carp are much faster in the water than a dwarf, so a dwarf in the water gets very few hits in comparison to the carp. The carp practically can lap a dwarf in terms of scoring hits when in the water, in addition to the fact the dwarf is usually drowning.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 02:12:14 pm »

Even so, without a critical, the carp has to roll a 5 or a 6 to even scratch an unarmored, unskilled dwarf, if I'm reading Toady's attack formula right.

It's usually not the carp so much as the drowning that kills the dwarf.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 02:23:53 pm »

Not sure anyone has actually presented an explanation.  Combat doesn't have to be in the same tile, but...

I'm guessing this is what happened:

The carp latched on to the dwarf with it's vicious great-white-shark jaws.  But the dwarf was some combination of Tough and/or very lucky, and didn't get hurt, but backed off, and the carp was dragged with him - OUT of the water.  Now the carp starts air-drowning.  Urist McTeflon comes out without a scratch or a drop on them, and the carp dies.  They casually drag the refuse to the fortress.

Unless it was a skeletal carp...

SKARP!!!!

<runs with great fear>

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:09:31 pm »

Even so, without a critical, the carp has to roll a 5 or a 6 to even scratch an unarmored, unskilled dwarf, if I'm reading Toady's attack formula right.

It's usually not the carp so much as the drowning that kills the dwarf.
This is also the reason why new players are confused by the lack of a corpse (it fell in the river).  Having actually seen carp kill a dwarf first hand, it would seem that once a dwarf falls in the water he is piled by the much faster carp, which quickly rip off chunks with latch ons, and reduce the chance of the dwarf escaping to 0.

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 03:19:50 pm »

That's what usually happens to me, the Carp drags them into the water or they dodge into the water. The one time i tried to make a human village, I settled by some carp.

They all died. I TOLD them the river was forbidden, wait for the well to get finished...