Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Fallout 2: Is it worth it?  (Read 15421 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 2: Is it worth it?
« Reply #45 on: July 02, 2009, 05:36:40 pm »

The Temple of Trials is the Scrappy level of FO2.  It's out-of-place, weird, and you'll have forgotten about it entirely by the time you play any of the rest of the game.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 02, 2009, 07:11:29 pm »

The Temple of Trials is the Scrappy level of FO2.  It's out-of-place, weird, and you'll have forgotten about it entirely by the time you play any of the rest of the game.

This.

But Virtz is right, there should be a door directly ahead of you that you should open.

When you've figured out looking at things (the cursor with the binoculars next to it), look at everything. Some are useful, some are funny, some are both.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 02, 2009, 10:04:16 pm »

Temple of Trials is something like this:

• Kill Things
  • Pick Door Lock
  • Kill More Things
  • Blast Door with Dynamite
  • Kill Even More Things
  • Talk to guy guarding exit, fight him, whatever. Get out.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2009, 11:24:21 pm »

And you should be aware that there's an online fallout 2 in the development. You just need an original copy to play it. I was playing in open and closed beta tests and it was really fun.

Now they are developing new mechanics and fixing some bugs so it's closed for now, but check www.fonline.ru from time to time. Don't be confused with the runet part, this game is developed by russian-speaking people, but allows an english as international language and there were a lot of players from different countries.
3rd open beta should launch in 15th of August.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 02, 2009, 11:33:59 pm »

Temple of Trials is something like this:

• Kill Things
  • Pick Door Lock
  • Kill More Things
  • Blast Door with Dynamite
  • Kill Even More Things
  • Talk to guy guarding exit, fight him, whatever. Get out.

And if you take the time to disarm all the pressure plates, you'd have earned a lot of extra XP, or at least get more spears in your quiver...

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 03, 2009, 02:21:55 am »

Nope, you can go through the entire thing without any party members. I think that it is possible to complete the game by killing every man, woman, and child that you meet. Obviously, some quests will be unavailable if you do that, though.

You dont have to have a party, but you cannot finish the game if you kill every man woman and child. There is atleast one person that you need to do/get something from in order to finish the game. That and you lose out on alot of good quests.

You should, imo play FO1 then FO2. Both are great amazing games, by far the best RPG's I have ever played. They are extremely indepth, with tons and tons of little touches, (try playing a low int char, and having a conversation, its hillarious) easter eggs (TONS of references to monty python movies). You can go out and buy both games for like 10 dollars.

Also, I recommend beefing up Small guns, Energy Weapons, and one other skill of your choice. There are beginner perks (not called perks, and you can only get them at generation) that are awesome. You HAVE to get bloody mess. The game is unplayable without it. ;)
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 03, 2009, 02:57:07 am »

I'm pretty sure you can win the game by killing everybody. You can get to the final stage by killing everyone and commandeering the giant metal thing which floats on water onto the other giant metal thing. From there, you can kill everyone inside and set off the big explosion, from which you escape.

But you definitely will miss out on a lot of stuff.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 03, 2009, 09:35:11 am »

I think the only people you cannot kill in FO 1 and 2 are people in the Vault and Village (respectively for each game). Doing so gives you a game over once you leave that area (since you basically fail the main quest).

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2009, 09:39:43 am »

It's probably a matter of timing, innit? FO1 for isntance.... take care of the chip problem and THEN kill everybody? Doeth that worketh?

I never tried it or even thunk about it.

But yeah, FO1 was the only RPG so far that made me suck the story in like it was a good book. I wish it was much longer, tho.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2009, 09:43:17 am »

It's probably a matter of timing, innit? FO1 for isntance.... take care of the chip problem and THEN kill everybody? Doeth that worketh?
No, because your mission from then on is still to save the Vault, simply from a different threat. Once you do that, the game is over.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 03, 2009, 10:00:05 am »

But I somewhat doubt you really need all the people in the vault alive for the quest logic to work.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 03, 2009, 11:04:45 am »

But I somewhat doubt you really need all the people in the vault alive for the quest logic to work.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 03, 2009, 11:06:39 am »

its worth a try ;)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 03, 2009, 11:29:46 am »

And you should be aware that there's an online fallout 2 in the development. You just need an original copy to play it. I was playing in open and closed beta tests and it was really fun.

Now they are developing new mechanics and fixing some bugs so it's closed for now, but check www.fonline.ru from time to time. Don't be confused with the runet part, this game is developed by russian-speaking people, but allows an english as international language and there were a lot of players from different countries.
3rd open beta should launch in 15th of August.

Do want!

Anyways, loving the game so far, beats BG2 by miles of desert dwelling fun.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 03, 2009, 03:11:43 pm »

Nope, you can go through the entire thing without any party members. I think that it is possible to complete the game by killing every man, woman, and child that you meet. Obviously, some quests will be unavailable if you do that, though.

You dont have to have a party, but you cannot finish the game if you kill every man woman and child. There is atleast one person that you need to do/get something from in order to finish the game. That and you lose out on alot of good quests.

Well, losing out on a lot of the quests is obvious. After all, that's what the people do. You might be able to do all the good quests, kill all the good people, do all the bad quests (the non-exclusive ones, anyway), kill all the bad people, and have that work. But there wouldn't be much point there.

I believe that you can kill everyone outside the initial village (which you are supposed to be trying to save, anyway)
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8