Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Fallout 2: Is it worth it?  (Read 15394 times)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
Fallout 2: Is it worth it?
« on: June 30, 2009, 12:48:04 am »

Friend o' mine has it, been wondering if its worth borrowing. I'm very well aware of the fallout series's fame and good name, but i've only played fallout 3, so i can't say anything about its legacy.

So, is it worth it? Whats keeping me from borrowing it is the fact i played baldurs gate 2, and thought it was sorta... Lame, and i know a helluva fans will probably throw vomit and sand at me for this.

Since its from the same developer (i think), is the gameplay similar?
How does sneaking work (i aways play a rogue type character)?
Is it possible to snipe things from afar ala jagged alliance?
Is it nescessary to have an actual party, or i can choose to play with only my little vault dweller?
How long is the game, in hours, playing on normal difficulty and not wanting to get every single thing in the game (which i will, if i like it)?
Does my character's animation actually changes when he's sneaking (sort of a random question, but i hated how my character on baldurs gate just went semi transparent and stood there with the posture of a tango dancer while supposedly sneaking)?
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
Re: Fallout 2: Is it worth it?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2009, 01:01:14 am »

yes
I got nothing

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2009, 01:18:16 am »

The omnious pink in your answer confuses me.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Shzar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2009, 01:34:23 am »

What ductape is trying to say is, "yes omfg yes play Fallout 2 why haven't you played it yet you monster?" It's been a while since I've played FO 1 or 2, but I'll answer my best.

Gameplay is quite different from Fallout 3, though you'll notice many similarities, such as SPECIAL and called shots. Combat is turn-based, though, and there are more options to choose from in character creation (aside from superficial changes). Perks come every three levels instead of one, and clothing doesn't improve your skills.

I never really tried sneaking in Fallout 1 or 2, so I can't elaborate too much on that, but it's similar to sneaking in Fallout 3: click a button to enter sneak mode, and hope for the best. Light and speed levels alter your success. Sadly, the only indication that you're sneaking in-game is a little button that pops up in the HUD. Your character's sprite does not change in any way.

There are many long range weapons to choose from. Put plenty of points into Small Guns and you'll soon be able to shoot an ant in the eyes with a revolver at night time from 100 feet away. Good fun!

You can get by fairly well by yourself, and that's probably best if you want to be a sneaky character. Just don't expect to survive many random encounters unless you can run like hell out of the combat zone.

Play time? Errr ... 15 hours or so? There are tonnes of things to do, so you can definitely squeeze a lot of time out of this.

Also, be sure to get the latest patch before playing. The game is buggy as hell without it (still pretty buggy with it, too), and saves are not compatible between versions.
000634 □ [adventure mode][environment]   jumping into water while on fire resulted in steamy death

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2009, 01:36:48 am »

So, is it worth it?

Very Yes.

Since its from the same developer (i think), is the gameplay similar?
I'm not sure, having never played Baldur's gate II. From playing Baldur's gate I, though, Fallout 2 was much more non-linear and open.
How does sneaking work (i aways play a rogue type character)?
Sneaking prevents enemies from seeing you. It's based on your sneak skill, light, facing (I believe), the armor you are wearing, and distance from enemies. There are perks that boost both your sneaking ability and your ability to do things (like run and do damage) while sneaking. Shooting guns (and running without the "silent running" perk) will de-sneak you, melee attacks that kill your target will not.
Is it possible to snipe things from afar ala jagged alliance?
Having never played jagged alliance, I'm not sure. I can say that long-range shots to the eyes with gauss rifles are beautiful things, especially with high luck and the sniper perk.
Is it nescessary to have an actual party, or i can choose to play with only my little vault dweller?
Nope, you can go through the entire thing without any party members. I think that it is possible to complete the game by killing every man, woman, and child that you meet. Obviously, some quests will be unavailable if you do that, though.
How long is the game, in hours, playing on normal difficulty and not wanting to get every single thing in the game (which i will, if i like it)?

A while. The main quest itself (if you know exactly what you are doing) can be completed in about an hour, but you won't do that. I'd say 15-20 hours at minimum, quite possibly much longer depending on which and how many of the major quest arcs you get sucked into.

Does my character's animation actually changes when he's sneaking (sort of a random question, but i hated how my character on baldurs gate just went semi transparent and stood there with the posture of a tango dancer while supposedly sneaking)?
If I remember correctly, you don't even go semi-transparent. Sprite space was at a premium in those days. The Fallout sprites tend to look a bit furtive anyway, though.
[/quote]
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

DennyTom

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Urist!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2009, 01:39:22 am »

Fallout 1 and 2 are DEFINITELY worth buying, playing and loving. They are some of the most detailed, disturbingly funny and entertaining games created.

What I missed in 3 are flavor texts... but it has other pluses.
It is so much easier to measure life in experience points...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 03:26:59 am »

There are some people who could never like Fallout 2. While I respect their decision, these people also think Hitler had the right idea and are wife beaters. I'm not judging anyone here, since it's entirely their right to wear adult diapers and never wash their hands after going to the washroom.  Just saying that there might be a correlation between their inability to understand calculus and being able to enjoy Fallout 2.

*cough*

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 03:32:09 am »

I loved having Advanced Power Armor at level four.
!!&!!

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 03:41:04 am »

I loved Fallout to sweet, sweet radioactive death.  For some reason I couldn't really get into Fallout 2, I should give it another go.
Fallout 3 just doesn't interest me, I guess I'm afraid it won't have the same flavour.  And the 8-bit pwny club says you can drink from the toilets.  Eww.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 03:47:38 am »

You can. Granted, you'll be glowing in minutes, because toilets have the most radioactive water, but yeah, you can.
!!&!!

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 04:27:34 am »

You might want to consider playing Fallout 1 first. As going for Fallout 2 first (like I did) will undoubtedly spoil you the story of the prequel, which is pretty amazing to say the least.

Fallout 2 is much better than both 1 and 3 in replay value. Beating it once doesn't show you all of the games depth. You can play:

-"normally" - good karma character with pretty random stats on your first go.

-"evilly" - enormous negative karma is not as easy to reach as in FO3. No stupidly artificial choices like Megaton. There are tons of quests with an "evil" sideline doing them all will leave you with something like -2000 karma. No need to resort to civilian genocide. Being bad has consequences however. Bounty Hunters will pwn low level characters. When I played like this I already got a hang of the mechanics so I went for a min-maxed overpowered sniper char so that helped. Examples of creatively evil things to do: causing a nuclear power plant meltdown, becoming a mob gangster, having sex with a dude for discounts until he explodes(high CHR female character), getting lesbian married and then caving in your spouse in a poisonous mine filled with supermutants(same character... and by accident!)

-"stupidly" unlike in FO3 FO3 has and entire alternative dialog tree if your characters intelligence is low. Its possible to beat the entire game with a  INT: 2 character who can't form a complete sentence. The result for playing like this is an unusual amounts of comedy as the developer hid many easter eggs for people who try and play like this. I recommend taking fist fighting or melee with a char like that for extra flavor.

DL;DR

YES! PLAY THE ORIGINAL FALLOUT GAMES. FALLOUT 3 DOES NOT COMPARE TO THEM IN TERMS OF AWESOME.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 04:29:43 am by Toady Two »

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 08:40:19 am »

Fallout 1 and 2 are DEFINITELY worth buying,
this.

keyword derivative: "buy"

You will probably regret not owning it once you play it.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 10:15:42 am »

Fallout collection (1&2 and the _good_ "tactics", not the crappy xbox version) is like ten bucks or summat and SO worth buying.

I'd definetly buy it, I never regretted that I did. And definetly start with part 1.

Apart from the eyecandy part 1 is even a lot better than part 3. Can't talk about 2, didnt play it enough.

But seriously. Get the collection. It's uncut and all.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 10:39:12 am »

I would like to agree with everyone that you should play fallout (1 or 2, in that order). It's one of the top 3 games I ever played, maybe even the best one. However a lot of people apparently don't like it, so I would say that borrowing it from a friend is the best of both worlds.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

BishopX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallout 2: Is it wort it?
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 10:57:16 am »

Fallout 2 is worth it. It's probably the best game I've ever played. Play time is hugely variable depending on how you play the game, 20 to 40 hours seems like the right ballpark. There are some quests designed for stealth, although not as many as for pure violence.

If your interested in playing stealthily I would recommended Killap's 1.02 + patch which includes a lot of stuff that was left out of the original release of the game, but was left buried in the code. Things like functioning armor piercing rounds, Sulik's Village and the EPA which make some aspects of the game make a little more sense. It also gives some more possibilities for quests.

Be warned that it does break save compatibility.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8