Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My First Mountainhome  (Read 1729 times)

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: My First Mountainhome
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 03:32:57 pm »

Just avoiding trap use altogether is a good way to keep things interesting.

Traps?  Maybe my militaries are a bit overpowered, but usually if the enemy lives long enough to get to my traps, I'm in deep trouble.  My traps are generally useless because the enemy just doesn't live long enough to get caught in them...or its a hidden enemy detected by my front entrance guard dogs and doesn't live long enough to get out(and thus caught).  A highly mobile military trumps traps any day.  So if you want to lose, forgo the military entirely.  Then you're assuredly doomed.

True. I tend to wait until my first ambush to train military, though. That way my guys can get on the job training, and if they survive they are already good to go.

In general in this game I've found a lot less boredom by not sweating any details (aside from a water supply and plenty of booze and food) and focusing on stupid projects instead of boring stuff like bedrooms, efficiency, etc.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 03:42:51 pm »

Traps?  Maybe my militaries are a bit overpowered, but usually if the enemy lives long enough to get to my traps, I'm in deep trouble.  My traps are generally useless because the enemy just doesn't live long enough to get caught in them...or its a hidden enemy detected by my front entrance guard dogs and doesn't live long enough to get out(and thus caught).  A highly mobile military trumps traps any day.  So if you want to lose, forgo the military entirely.  Then you're assuredly doomed.

True. I tend to wait until my first ambush to train military, though. That way my guys can get on the job training, and if they survive they are already good to go.

In general in this game I've found a lot less boredom by not sweating any details (aside from a water supply and plenty of booze and food) and focusing on stupid projects instead of boring stuff like bedrooms, efficiency, etc.

mind adding that info here? it warrants some testing.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 04:29:52 pm »

All my big fortresses have died because I got bored with them.

Chicostick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 07:09:12 pm »

Yeah this was my first fortress, no reclaims or anything. Technically it's not the first time I embarked, but the first time I did something was wrong so I didn't actually do anything  :P

I slowly picked up the basics in this fort, the Wiki helps a ton if you don't know what you're doing. I also had an extremely easy location, temperate, no vicious animals, mild winters, tons of trees and plenty of water. Plus, I didn't get a Goblin ambush until about 4 or 5 years in for whatever reason, so I had enough time to figure out how to set traps and the like.

Question, how do I do this whole map compression thing so I can upload it?

*Edit* Never mind, I figured it out.

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6251-spinsling

There's my meager fortress :)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 07:32:24 pm by Chicostick »

Dvergar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 08:42:53 pm »

I slowly picked up the basics in this fort, the Wiki helps a ton

Oh, I thought you did it the non-spoilery way, that might have been a first, the first attempt=mountainholm

I lost my first several forts to.....dun dun dun.....bordom ;D

Wait a minute, I am still losing forts to bordom, help me! ;)

Play careless (ie don't obsess about efficiency, idlers, etc), don't use traps, plan stupid scale projects, test out machines/pumps without proper planning, make half a dozen entrances to your fort...

That's the kind of stuff that works for me.

Thanks I will keep that in mind, especially...

Play careless
  That is how I stay like playing Angband, despite the fact that the majority of items are cursed and cause extremely bad effects (eg. blindness, hallucinations)  I drink/use them haphazardly  ::)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 11:13:37 pm »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6251-spinsling

There's my meager fortress :)
Level 17 could almost be a 2D fortress.

lol, my first 3D fortress looks like that, with the rooms laid out wherever and random chunks gouged out of the basement.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 11:26:58 pm »

Flooding accident on 16 I see. ;) Thats how I lost my first fort, accidentally punctured a creek right next to all of my food, booze and seed stockpile. I managed to forbid the door to it, but I was screwed with no food booze or seeds. :/
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 11:58:54 pm »

section of the map. Since the only anvil, miner, pic died in the first moment of the flood it was all trapped. It was funny watching the farmers tantrum out after seeing the other farmers die. They would tear down the farms in rage right before the lava enveloped them. Ah, good old Chaosseisure. Good times...

Chicostick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 12:50:29 pm »

Yeah I had a bit of a flooding oopsy moment. Luckily that area wasn't being used for much at the time, so only four dwarves died.

My fortress does look pretty flat, it took me awhile to really figure out the whole z-level thing. By the time I realized I could make things more compact by going up and down instead of spreading out, I had already built most of the fortress.

Now that the whole thing is built, I'm adding some more roads. And I think I'm going to flood the entire lower part on the western edge, for kicks.

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 01, 2009, 12:52:41 pm »

Wait, did you get the king by actually fulfilling the normal requirements!?

In which case, I commend you for making your first fortress such a success. Now dig out enough rock to build a replica of your fortress. Next to the original. And then move into the replica. And place the replica in the lower part that you are going to flood. And make it water proof.

Did you find HFS yet?
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Chicostick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2009, 12:59:40 pm »

I don't think there's any HFS on this map. I don't really know how to look for stuff, and I didn't use the site finder or anything because I had no idea what I was doing. I happened to luck out with the underground river and the chasm, other than that this map is pretty bland. However, I like the idea of embarking on a site not really knowing what is there and adapting to it. 

I also recently sealed some merchants in side my fort to see what will happen. I'm acting like now that the queen has shown up, she's making all kinds of negative changes to the fort due to her incompetence. I'm seeing how much it will take for this fort to go into a tantrum spiral. So far I've had large amounts of death with people smiling like nothing happened  :-\

Bingbing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2009, 01:01:53 pm »

Tantrum spirals are easy. Find the 5 most popular dwarves in the fortress. Kill them via a method that leaves a corpse. Let the corpses rot away without being put into coffins.

Then place all the dwarves into 1 little room and watch the fireworks.
Beware. Not of the E, or of the U, or even of the &, @, and b. Beware the #.<BR>(Translation:) Beware. Not of the elephants, or of the unicorns, or even the demons, carp, and badgers. Beware the husks, for they are relentless, corrupting, and unstoppable. Only the might of hell itself can even keep it in check; and only for a small period of time. If one sees such a being; run away, unless you like the idea of joining their ranks.

Gamermaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2009, 05:56:31 pm »

Wow on your first try? I just managed to figure out farming on my most recent fortress, I feel sorry for the 29+ I lost to hunger.

Chicostick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2009, 08:11:16 pm »

Maybe flooding the world wasn't such a good idea....

My FPS is sitting right around 2 or 3, when it was a decent rate before. As soon as my pumps started chugging (after I FINALLY figured out how to use them  ;D) and the water started to spread a lot, the fortress ground to a halt.

I'm pitting every stray animal I can to hopefully increase FPS, but if it doesn't soon I'll have to abandon  :-\

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2009, 12:43:16 am »

With the cave river draining into the chasm like that the game has to handle a lot of falling water. You could get a decent chunk of your framerate back by engineering a collapse that would block it off. At 2-3 fps that would take awhile to set up but because blocks will keep going right through floor tiles you could set it up several floors higher (like level 18) and just patch up your floors after.

Dropping the block on that one remains tile just past the water wheel room would eventually allow you to reclaim those other rooms.
If you want to set it up quickly with minimal Fun
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If you're playing on a computer like mine using a bridge to smash a bunch of dumped stones may also reward you with some fps. My very rough estimate is that I get 3 fps back for every 1000 stones smashed, though who knows how much that varies with other factors.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2]