Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Bottled fairies  (Read 8344 times)

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bottled fairies
« Reply #30 on: July 27, 2009, 08:15:25 am »

I think this would require some re-working of the vermin in the game to work without driving players crazy, and there should be some reward for volunteering to put up with them. 

Killing vermin you've learned to hate when you're about to flip out could be very cathartic. And not in the medical sense. It would protect your fort from fistfights and dwarves going berserk

Nailing fairies to walls should be it's own reward! Healing drinks are so cliché, even if "fairy dust" is obtained by drying and grinding them into powder

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 27, 2009, 08:18:43 am »

Well, it wouldn't necessarily need to be healing.  It could be something like a powder that temporarily allows a magician to animate an inanimate object, for example.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 27, 2009, 08:41:41 am »

I see no reason why it'd do that unless fairies are made of wood and rocks themselves

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 08:44:24 am »

Could be an extract that glows in the dark, since they have those tags. Dab it around for underground lighting.

Felblood

• Bay Watcher
  • No, you don't.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 27, 2009, 06:20:04 pm »

Could be an extract that glows in the dark, since they have those tags. Dab it around for underground lighting.

Ooh! Glow-in-the-Dark paint!

It could be valuable for trade and nobler rooms, or just a handy dye for deep mining clothes.
The path through the wilderness is rarely direct. Reaching the destination is useless,
if you don't learn the lessons of the dessert.
--but you do have to keep walking.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2009, 07:05:58 pm »

I see no reason why it'd do that unless fairies are made of wood and rocks themselves
Well, I was just pulling a semi-random example from nowhere.  They could just be an ingredient, like a magic source or something, should something like that be done at all in DF.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 08:34:11 pm »

Hmm... I'd like to see some kind of fae dust go into a salve of sorts. Not a sort of 'LOL HEAL POTION' sort of thing, but rather something that can help wounds beyond standard medical care, like removing the need for a splint or something. Would help give a reason to stay in the happy areas where they live.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009, 04:51:05 am »

Well, I was just pulling a semi-random example from nowhere.  They could just be an ingredient, like a magic source or something, should something like that be done at all in DF.

You can squeeze asspullium out of anything you want but I'd prefer there's a tangential connection between the effects. For instance, while I don't like lavish amounts of fairy magic and other nonsense, I couldn't argue against fairy dust glowing or even making you float or weigh less

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009, 06:37:07 am »

I'd prefer there's a tangential connection between the effects

Well if they are a magical source they could be one of pure magic that needs to be dirrected.

Anyhow if you want Faeries to be some sort of healing potion then how about their fairy dust is actually an anti-bleeding mixture.

The connection? Well it is about as connected as Shrimp and they are apperantly one of the best in the world.

Though realistically if Fairies can be distilled into a magical mixture it should be connected to their sphere, and their sphere is definately not life.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2009, 07:32:12 am »

I bet fairies taste good.
Munching fairies and pixies is very dwarvish.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2009, 05:20:18 pm »

You can squeeze asspullium out of anything you want but I'd prefer there's a tangential connection between the effects. For instance, while I don't like lavish amounts of fairy magic and other nonsense, I couldn't argue against fairy dust glowing or even making you float or weigh less
On the topic of fairy dust making things weigh less - possibly it could be used for lightening bins so you could trade more at once or armour so soldiers could move faster or stones so unskilled haulers could move them faster.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2009, 05:27:53 pm »

Coat objects with fairy dust as a job from the Alchemy Shop?

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2009, 07:27:11 am »

That would be pretty useful, especially seeing talking no longer gives strength in the next version.

How do you make it stick though? Paint? Mix it into the metal itself? Should it glow faintly?
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 07:29:23 am by Pilsu »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2009, 10:23:03 am »

Animal fat, just like the cavemen did with their paintings.  Only they used stone and animal blood, not pixy dust.
Just so I remember

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2009, 10:12:14 pm »

That would be pretty useful, especially seeing talking no longer gives strength in the next version.

How do you make it stick though? Paint? Mix it into the metal itself? Should it glow faintly?

If we're talking alchemy lab, there's probably an 'alchemical' way of putting the dust into the metal.

I'm still leaning towards faerie blood being used as a medicine or salve though. Not a healing potion, kind of like Neosporin - just makes the wound heal cleaner and faster.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4