Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Bottled fairies  (Read 8347 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Bottled fairies
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 07:30:02 pm »

For fairies in DF being more than decoration, I think we should look at more than just LoZ.  It might be best if we look around at a few things to get ideas.  For example, there are Discworld fairies, which are often fairly nasty.   Then there are Jim C. Hines' pixies from his goblin trilogy.  Those weren't exactly evil.  They were just competing for space and resources, albeit in a fairly nasty way.  Then of course there's the old folk lore fairies and the modern popular image of them being happy and stuff.  All such things should be considered, rather than just picking out a game and saying "let's just do what they did."  It's what is normally done with DF.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 08:57:24 pm »

Fairies only sorta started becoming good in later english folklore.

Early Folklore Fairies were nothing but vicious pranksters or worse

Though during the "Goodification" of fairies a lot of creatures not considered fairies were brought into the fold. (Same with modern day Elves. A lot of Non-elves are considered so)

It all really depends what Toady wants to do with them I guess. Though given that he already put Fairies into "Good" Biomes it means he is going for the more Whimsicle later Fairy types then the vicious "Push you over a bridge so you bash your head on the rocks below" type.

I don't see the fairies healing so much though I can see any number of uses for whatever they have on them.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 09:06:11 pm by Neonivek »

fennec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 11:06:06 pm »

For fairies in DF being more than decoration

Actually, a fairy-in-a-bottle might make a pretty neat decoration. Put it in your nobles' bedrooms and such.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2009, 01:39:49 am »

For fairies in DF being more than decoration

Actually, a fairy-in-a-bottle might make a pretty neat decoration. Put it in your nobles' bedrooms and such.

Fairies arn't really all that uncommon.

So it would depend if butterflies in a bottle would be appropriate. (Hmmm... which is a yes but not all THAT royal)

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2009, 01:52:51 am »

Well bottled fairis would be nice for the lighting-arc since they glow :P
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2009, 02:19:20 am »

Well bottled fairis would be nice for the lighting-arc since they glow :P
Fairies, a source of fairy dust, light, and could be used a regenerative food item.
Just eat, and your mangled limbs will regenerate by one level.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2009, 07:06:23 am »

I rather like the notion of fairies and pixies being plain annoying with no real special powers or game mechanics. Bathing in unguarded wine mugs, stealing light shiny objects and generally bothering people

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2009, 03:07:30 pm »

maybe have dwarfen children stomp on them like cat's do pests, it'd be a very dwarfenly thing to do.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2009, 03:54:51 pm »

I rather like the notion of fairies and pixies being plain annoying with no real special powers or game mechanics. Bathing in unguarded wine mugs, stealing light shiny objects and generally bothering people
Discworld Nac Mac Feegle? They steal cattle (one to a leg) and steal alcohol.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2009, 04:16:09 pm »

Making them snatch children and livestock would be neat, I think.  Especially if the code was updated so that as a childsnatcher, they don't raise the children as their own, but instead just play with the kids until the kids die of hunger.  Or alternatively, until hundreds of years have passed and the kids don't age.  Or use the children as child soldiers for their own wars.  Or some combination of all three.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2009, 06:53:38 pm »

I like the idea of faeries being used as a light source. Another idea would be with medicine to have bottled faerie blood be used as a salve for wounds (would reduce pain and shorten healing time slightly). Would be kind of dwarvish to dissect and process them into something useful.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2009, 07:49:25 pm »

Fairies and pixies both share the [liGHT_GEN] tag, which as yet isn't used, but will likely come up with the lighting arc. However, since they've been given the [VERMIN_NOTRAP] tag, they're not as yet supposed to be trappable unless they're modded.

So if you're going to mod them, I'd suggest creating an [EXTRACT:pixie dust] etc. You could possibly find a use for it with all the new poison stuff coming up with the next release.

Phelix

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining is Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2009, 07:59:46 pm »

Did you know?

Fairy dust is actually grinded up fairies!

now thats a dwarven solution!
"An Ambush! Curse them!"

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2009, 08:40:04 pm »

Did you know?

Fairy dust is actually grinded up fairies!

now thats a dwarven solution!
How about making all vermin except small bugs butcherable using small animal dissection and allow the grinding of bones (at craftdwarf workshop?), so you cut the faeries open, take out the bones, grind them into faery powder, then mix it with booze or something like that to create a healing drink? Also give the faeries

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2009, 08:40:58 pm »

I think this would require some re-working of the vermin in the game to work without driving players crazy, and there should be some reward for volunteering to put up with them. 
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4