Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Bottled fairies  (Read 8340 times)

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bottled fairies
« on: June 29, 2009, 09:58:44 pm »

Dwarf Fortress presently features fairies, but they seem to be just decoration at the moment.  They aren't trappable, don't gnaw food, and aren't hated by dwarves, so they can basically be ignored.

One idea I had -- In a certain popular adventure game series, fairies are powerful healing items.  Nintendo didn't specify exactly how they were used, but VGCats has a rather dwarfy theory -- http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=118.

How it would work is simple.  First, a way needs to be added to bottle them -- I assume [VERMIN_NOTRAP] means that neither set animal traps nor the "Capture Live Land Animal" task will work.  Then we just add a new command to order the dwarves to use one on a specific wounded creature.

When used, the fairy would vanish, and each part of the patient's body would be healed one step -- even if healing would normally be impossible (amputations and brain).

We'll probably want the elves to trade in fairies, so that dwarves who get injured in Neutral or Evil climes still have hope.

It's a little silly, but it would provide a way to salvage permanently bedridden dwarves, and more importantly, would allow the player to exercise more sadism.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Bottled fairies
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 10:00:52 pm »

We'll be getting doctoring soon, and cutting off a person's arm because it was too mangled is way more dwarven than having pixies kiss your booboos.
Shoes...

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 10:36:54 pm »

I could see uses for bottled fairies (and ghosts, and other such things) in alchemy or magic when those are added.

I don't see why you think that fairies should be any good for healing, though.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 11:07:21 pm »

We'll be getting doctoring soon, and cutting off a person's arm because it was too mangled is way more dwarven than having pixies kiss your booboos.
I was thinking more along the lines of the patient consuming the fairy rather than it kissing anything.  Perhaps we need to make this clear by adding a grinding step before the bottled fairy can be used as medicine....

I don't see why you think that fairies should be any good for healing, though.
It's a reference to the Legend of Zelda series, where touching a fairy refills health completely.  In some versions they can be bottled and used as E-tanks.

Blackburn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 11:32:28 pm »

The fairies should be realistic.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFairFolk

In that way.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 11:47:07 pm »

This system should also work for leeches and maggots.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 11:49:56 pm »

I do think the last thing a fairy would do to you after you released it from a bottle in which it has been trapped for hours, would be healing you.
I'd enjoy sacrificing them to gain MOAR MAGICK though.

Is this zelda or what.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 01:28:35 am »

Oh, one link I forgot earlier, showing an even Dwarfier spin on Zelda's fairies...

http://gerbilmechs.com/Comic/MM040/index.html

waldo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009, 02:07:36 am »

i like the vg cats idea, also i would also like to note that eating faeries would be very dwarfenly, even if it's for any other reason then to heal a lazy old bum who can't go two steps without falling over,

"whats that urist mcnervedamage? no i'm not talking to yo-"
(thwump)
"augh *facepalm*"

also i would like to note that it would probably piss off the elves if we ate the fairies they just traded us "for magic support" right in front of them. also i would suggest that they have other uses like maybe have a workshop that collects pixie dust to help speed up production and the speed of walking dwarfes. but at the very least i would like to see it implemented just because it would make the elves mad.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2009, 02:27:33 am »

Dwarves probably already eat fairies, given the chance. They eat live rats, after all.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 03:32:14 am »

It's a reference to the Legend of Zelda series, where touching a fairy refills health completely.  In some versions they can be bottled and used as E-tanks.
...yeah.  But I don't see what that has to do with DF.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 04:35:17 am »

I really don't care much for fairies having healing powers. And considering the canonical nature of dwarves, I don't see them eating them either

Snorting pixie dust is pretty worn out by now too  :P

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 04:44:13 am »

Doing something with bottled faeries will be interesting in any case, at the very least use them as decoration. And let's not forget, other races will be playable too, and there need to be things they can do and dwarves not.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 05:45:18 am »

Only the dwarf fortress community would suggest using fairies to cure wounds by eating them.

Sounds like a good idea, but I think it would be better for fairy eating to cure illness and/or poisoning rather than injuries.
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 01:12:21 pm »

The fairies should be realistic.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheFairFolk

In that way.

Fae work this way sure, but I always see the little faeries in DF as being more the labrynth style pests that bite
Pages: [1] 2 3 4