Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: The Flood from hell/ Under ground river  (Read 1133 times)

Srath47

• Bay Watcher
  • No Pain No Gain
    • View Profile
The Flood from hell/ Under ground river
« on: June 29, 2009, 03:43:17 pm »

it was a sad day in my fort today... we lost our brave miners.. 4 legendary ones and some stone haulers... we sprung a leak in the 3rd lvl causing a massive flood that swept down the into the mines.. they had no time to escape.. horrible day.. anyhow if i remember right there's an underground river on this map anyone have a good way to find it? i always run into damp stone. Thanks
"BEHOLD, FOR ARMOK BREATHED LIFE INTO THE VERY ROCKS IN THE RIVERS AND COMMANDED THEM TO GO FORTH AND MUTILATE RANDOM PASSERS BY."

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
Re: The Flood from hell/ Under ground river
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 03:51:58 pm »

Go up and dig down when you hit it?
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 03:57:12 pm »

First off, your miners should usually be able to dig their way to safety. Just find a convenient wall and start carving up/down staircases to make their way upwards. Unless they're very close to the source of the water they should be able to get out.

Secondly, once you strike damp stone, stop digging on that level. Go back to the surface, and dig vertical shafts downwards to find the river. That way you won't flood your fortress.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Srath47

• Bay Watcher
  • No Pain No Gain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 04:06:48 pm »

ya i messed up i guess i canceled the digging then did it again and sprung a link, i tried to have them dig out before the water got too 'em  but they didn't make it lol. im around an aquafur so i keep hitting damp stone everywhere. but thanks for the idea.
"BEHOLD, FOR ARMOK BREATHED LIFE INTO THE VERY ROCKS IN THE RIVERS AND COMMANDED THEM TO GO FORTH AND MUTILATE RANDOM PASSERS BY."

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 04:25:22 pm »

ya i messed up i guess i canceled the digging then did it again and sprung a link, i tried to have them dig out before the water got too 'em  but they didn't make it lol. im around an aquafur so i keep hitting damp stone everywhere. but thanks for the idea.
Um, grammar aside, let me give you a fair warning: if there is no known water source above you and you get the damp stone message...stop digging. Right there. Aquifers will flood you if you dig on the floor directly beneath them.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Tsktac

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike the fish!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 08:58:25 pm »

it was a sad day in my fort today... we lost our brave miners.. 4 legendary ones and some stone haulers... we sprung a leak in the 3rd lvl causing a massive flood that swept down the into the mines.. they had no time to escape.. horrible day.. anyhow if i remember right there's an underground river on this map anyone have a good way to find it? i always run into damp stone. Thanks

This is so weird, just yesterday I lost my favorite fort by cave river.  It was a thriving village of 78 (All of them legendary in at least some social skills) churning out *cave spider cloth* and later on +steel bolts+ to the elves after getting a breeding scorpions.  In a few words this self contained subterranean fortress was tempting both fate, the rng, and my own clumsiness more than any other fort I ever could keep without fps killing it.

Then I decided that my next megaproject should be a tower-cap farm... I had my 3 legendary miners dig a area 70% of a z level and, after a year or two of on and off dumping (Almost everyone had great stats from their legendary comedian... ness.) plus the installation of a sophisticated bridge centered drainage system *cough* atom smasher *cough* it was finished.  The whole system relied on 3 pumps which I hastenly constructed so I could work on my fractal tree farm, just a note apart from a pump tower or two screw pumps never worked for me.  I guess it was inevitable since the only off switch was next to both the waterwheel and the pump system and my entire fort was busy on a dumping project, but that one tile of missing wall proved to be my achilles, well lack of wall.

The fort divided before the approaching echo of the tsunami to the only two semi-safe places in my fort, ironically one was the tree farm and the other was the previous entrance to the fortress which I fortified by removing all ramps.  Unfortunately my only miners and extra picks were either now in the river or trapped in a miscellaneous corner of my tree farm hungry and surprisingly thirsty.  While the entire military, nobility, and most of my master craftsman were dying nobley... nobleish? in the now flooding tree farm (Hey the pumps work!) during which the rest of my fort was berserking and pummeling eachother with miscellaneous objects huddled one z level under the plateau that once my entrance trying not to vomit from the sun leaking in.

tldr I accidentally my entire fort and there was much fun to be had. =]

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2009, 02:30:38 pm »

it was a sad day in my fort today... we lost our brave miners.. 4 legendary ones and some stone haulers...

Let me guess; Moe, Larry, Curly, Shemp, Joe, and Urist?

Pkassad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2009, 01:33:54 am »

Epic
Yes but then the three children hanging off her will catch fire.
And that's stopped people before...?