Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Guard Animals  (Read 1454 times)

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
Re: Guard Animals
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 11:33:05 am »

All tame animals will act as guards when assigned to a restraint, right?

I've got a breeding trio of tame Giant Jaguars, Giant Leopards, and Giant Desert Scorpions. I figure if I make enough of them I won't even need a military. :D

Training them takes away their edge.

What you do is have a bridge going over a pit with kitties(big kitties) in it.
Put one bear on the bridge and let it smack em in.*

*Not guaranteed to work.
What's to stop the bear from just, you know, attacking your dwarves?  And if chained, wouldn't it just get shot to pieces?

Chained, yes.
And to solve the problems;

Ok, here's our pit.
Code: [Select]
############
#..........#
#..........#
++++++B+++++
#..........#
#..........#
############

In the level above, have something like this.

Code: [Select]
############
#++++++++++#
#+#####++++#
#+#B#B#+++++
#+#####++++#
#++++++++++#
############

If marksmen shoot the bear, they de-cloak right?
So pull a lever and drop the bears above standing on trap doors onto the bridge.

And to answer about the dwarves, this is a kill passage.
Enemies always follow the shortest route, so make this, and then make a much longer twisting path elsewhere for your dwarves and caravans.
Mark the kill one as restricted, and there you go ~♥

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 11:48:06 am »

What's to stop the bear from just, you know, attacking your dwarves?  And if chained, wouldn't it just get shot to pieces?

Being tame keeps them from attacking your dwarves (assuming they haven't killed any dwarves yet, of course), and avoiding being shot is why I said to give them cover in my earlier post.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 03:17:53 pm »

Being tame keeps them from attacking your dwarves (assuming they haven't killed any dwarves yet, of course), and avoiding being shot is why I said to give them cover in my earlier post.
But I thought the whole point of this was to avoid having to use tame animals...
Enemies always follow the shortest route, so make this, and then make a much longer twisting path elsewhere for your dwarves and caravans.
My dwaves think that chains are a great place to hang out...

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 04:43:57 pm »

But I thought the whole point of this was to avoid having to use tame animals...
My dwaves think that chains are a great place to hang out...
Do they have a meeting hall/zone?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2]