Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Guard Animals  (Read 1463 times)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Guard Animals
« on: June 29, 2009, 12:49:08 pm »

All tame animals will act as guards when assigned to a restraint, right?

I've got a breeding trio of tame Giant Jaguars, Giant Leopards, and Giant Desert Scorpions. I figure if I make enough of them I won't even need a military. :D
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

LegacyCWAL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Guard Animals
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 01:01:54 pm »

If by "guards" you mean "will fight to the death to defend their post", then as far as I know they will.  Of course, they won't have much choice but to fight the goblin that's trying to stab them, but I digress.

Just make sure to give them some cover to protect them from archers.  All the giant war-carnivores in the world won't help you if they're full of arrows.
HIDE THE WOMEN AND DROWN THE CHILDREN, THE BARON HAS ARRIVED.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 01:02:45 pm »

If by "guards" you mean "will fight to the death to defend their post", then as far as I know they will.  Of course, they won't have much choice but to fight the goblin that's trying to stab them, but I digress.

Just make sure to give them some cover to protect them from archers.  All the giant war-carnivores in the world won't help you if they're full of arrows.

Aww. If only it were possible to tame imps and fire men. =/ Now that's some fire support.
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 01:06:44 pm »

Aww. If only it were possible to tame imps and fire men. =/ Now that's some fire support.
You can, it only requires a few quick additions to the raws. :)

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 01:21:40 pm »

You can, it only requires a few quick additions to the raws. :)

I have a magma vent on this map; you have no idea what -terrors- you have unleashed this day.

Village_Idiot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 01:35:09 pm »

I have a magma vent on this map; you have no idea what -terrors- you have unleashed this day.

*terrors* ?

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 02:00:06 pm »

*terrors* ?

Yes. Terrors. Of the vent. I'm going to try and catch me an army of magma men, and see if I can breed them. I shall tie them to ropes along my subterranean courtyard and turn it into a shooting gallery.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 02:04:50 pm »

Lesse, [PET], [trAINABLE](the lowercase tr is a forum bug, all caps are needed.), and something like [CHILD:1](this sets the max age for a child).
If you want them to give birth to multiples, throw in [liTTERSIZE:5:10] haw haw haw.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 04:14:08 pm »

Note: Do not, for god's sake, make an army of fire imps if you plan on having anything outside at any time.  Let's imagine a little scenario.

Outside your fortress, near the fire imp chain.  Enter kobold thief.
Kobold thief: Hmm, what a nice day to steal something.  That sock looks tempting.
Fire imp: Halt!
The fire imp jumps up and begins to wrestle the thief.  They suck equally, and little damage is done to either.
Fire imp: I know what to do!  Fireball!
The fireball strikes the kobold, which promptly bursts into flames.  The fire spreads as the fire imp admires his handiwork.  Enter Urist McFisherdwarf.
Fisher: Wow, that line of fire sure looks appealing.  I'm just gonna walk right through it.  Oh!  I'm on fire!
Fisherdwarf fishes for a while, still on fire.
Fisher: Hmm, being on fire sure is thirsty work.  I'll go get a nice mug of beer.
Fisherdwarf walks back to the fortress.  Cue huge explosion, and everyone being on fire.

Byakugan01

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 04:27:02 pm »

Make the fire imp army. It can't be that bad, what could possibly go wrong? On  a side note, breeding the things will require a regen, since they have the NOGENDER tag and you'll have to remove that.
From Mr. Welch's 1350 things he is not allowed to do in a RPG:
148. There is no Gnomish Deathgrip, and even if there was, it wouldn't involve tongs.
171. My character's dying words are not allowed to be "Hastur, Hastur, Hastur"
218. No matter my alignment, organizing halfling pit fights is a violation.
231. I am not allowed to do anything that would make a Sith Lord cry.
240. Any character with more than three skills specializing in chainsaw is vetoed.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2009, 03:04:18 am »

I've heard that they've gotta be able to waltz over to an opponent to make the decision to fling fire at it from a distance.

Aside from that if you stick animals on chains right next to a staircase and surround it they'll probably shed everything going down it until they get exhausted, though I think ambushes would be small enough that that wouldn't happen with 4 war animals.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2009, 09:37:14 am »

I have a breeding population of black bears thanks to the elves at one time being genuinely useful, but archers have stopped me from deploying them. I also discovered, much to my chagrin, that if I chain animals farther away from the entrance as an alert system, dwarves just hang out there anyway.

I had an awesome idea though that, while I'm not sure it would work in any unmodded version, is potentially great. Archers as you know will gleefully waste their ammo on any target. What if an animal or something was put up on a pedestal where they were inaccessible to everyone else, but where invaders would see them and try to shoot at them? Then the only thing would be to make sure the invaders either couldn't hit the mark or that the animal was modded to survive practically anything. Basically, it's a decoy.

Short of using invincible animals though, I guess a cat tower would be just as appropriate. Although oddly in my fortress the cats haven't been breeding, so maybe that should be a raccoon tower.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2009, 10:00:07 am »

you can use dwarf companion to assign genders to creatures i believe.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2009, 10:44:31 am »

I've got a breeding trio of tame Giant Jaguars, Giant Leopards, and Giant Desert Scorpions. I figure if I make enough of them I won't even need a military. :D

Training them takes away their edge.

What you do is have a bridge going over a pit with kitties(big kitties) in it.
Put one bear on the bridge and let it smack em in.*

*Not guaranteed to work.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2009, 11:21:58 am »

Training them takes away their edge.

What you do is have a bridge going over a pit with kitties(big kitties) in it.
Put one bear on the bridge and let it smack em in.*

*Not guaranteed to work.
What's to stop the bear from just, you know, attacking your dwarves?  And if chained, wouldn't it just get shot to pieces?
Pages: [1] 2