Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: The myth of the female soldier.  (Read 10084 times)

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The myth of the female soldier.
« Reply #75 on: July 01, 2009, 08:49:54 pm »

Actually, to be fair, selendis' chest plate is LESS prominent than that of a male protoss zealot. And the curvy hips look just like a change to make the protoss look less gaunt. Even the zealots have them now. Compare this to this.
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 01, 2009, 09:51:53 pm »

Indeed, the physiology of the Protoss is odd enough that large hips and a massive chest would be normal for both sexes and not be weird.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 01, 2009, 09:56:32 pm »

I recant that Selendis is not all that unusual in retrospect, compared to Artanis.  But it's still Blizzard.  I have absolutely no doubt they'll work "sultry" crap into her dialogue.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 01, 2009, 09:59:40 pm »

Actually, to be fair, selendis' chest plate is LESS prominent than that of a male protoss zealot. And the curvy hips look just like a change to make the protoss look less gaunt. Even the zealots have them now. Compare this to this.

That Starcraft II link just points to more examples of modern Blizzard's art style, where EVERYTHING is squat and cartoonish and has giant shoulders.

That's just how they've been doing it since, what, WCIII? Or at least WoW. I don't think it's particularly indicative of anything about the Protoss themselves.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 01, 2009, 10:24:15 pm »

I find it odd that you guys forget the one of the most well known female soldier in video game history: Samus Aran.

Unless she doesn't count in this arguement.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 01, 2009, 10:27:30 pm »

I find it odd that you guys forget the one of the most well known female soldier in video game history: Samus Aran.

Unless she doesn't count in this argument.
Pre-zero suit: Yes.
 Post zero suit: No.

Don't go telling me the zero suit is badass. Just don't.

Now Alyx Vance, THAT is a grand female character.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 01, 2009, 10:30:05 pm »

Unless she doesn't count in this argument.
Pre-zero suit: Yes.
 Post zero suit: No.

Don't go telling me the zero suit is badass. Just don't.

Now Alyx Vance, THAT is a grand female character.

Agreed, either way though she can still kick ass regardless if in the suit. Too bad that she takes more damage with it, it made Zero Misson a pain to deal with, that was untill I could beat it in a little more than a two hours. :P
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 01, 2009, 11:30:02 pm »

I heard that the new Metroid game is going to start having a romance backstory with the guy they introduced in Fusion.

Makes me want to hurt things.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 01, 2009, 11:35:53 pm »

Also, Alyx Vance only serves as a love interest and to praise the main character for every little thing he does.

I'm not going to deny that the Half Lives are fun games, I'm just saying that the more recent ones(Especially Episode 2) feel like praise showers and deus ex machina slideshows.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 01, 2009, 11:39:55 pm »

Jessica was the best Source game spunky female sidekick.  Sure you didn't see her much, but that let you pretend she was actually doing something useful while you did your thing, unlike Alyx who you know is just waiting for you to climb through the ventilation shaft and open the door for her.  If only Blade could have told her to shut up and follow orders once in a while it would have been perfect.  Now of course we'll never hear Blade again...   :(

Wow, this is getting kind of off topic isn't it?
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 11:42:53 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2009, 04:24:50 am »

unlike Alyx who you know is just waiting for you to climb through the ventilation shaft and open the door for her.

In the HL2 world, all the (to the player) simple things supposedly require Gordon's great intellect to work, which is why Alyx and Barney can't figure it out themselves. "simple" things like shooting they can do perfectly.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2009, 07:45:48 am »

That Starcraft II link just points to more examples of modern Blizzard's art style, where EVERYTHING is squat and cartoonish and has giant shoulders.

That's just how they've been doing it since, what, WCIII? Or at least WoW. I don't think it's particularly indicative of anything about the Protoss themselves.
Not totally disagreeing, but protoss zealots have always had excessive pauldrons. Why do you think it took so many zerglings to beat one zealot!  ;)
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2009, 12:34:06 pm »

I heard that the new Metroid game is going to start having a romance backstory with the guy they introduced in Fusion.

Makes me want to hurt things.

Do what I do in these situations, say the story will suck and when it comes out, you can't be disapointed either way.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2009, 02:23:29 pm »

Yes, that would Kerrigan, the de-facto protagonist of the game.  I say she still doesn't qualify though.  No shortage of competence, but the developers still tried to sex her up, even when spending most of the game as a zerg hybrid.  Namely by gaining a biomorphic dominatrix outfit complete with chitinous stiletto heels.

Looks to continue strong in the upcoming sequel, including the addition of a female main-Protoss-character wearing the fantasy-requisite battle bikini.

Well, if she's a dark templar, I would be surprised, considering the fact that a dark templars battle uniform consists of a weapon and a piece of brightly coloured cloth...

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2009, 06:47:09 pm »

In contrast, in Dune, Leto II (The God-Emperor of Dune) replaced the previous male-dominated militaries with an all-female military force called Fish Speakers - and he also used them in his breeding programs.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8