Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: The myth of the female soldier.  (Read 10092 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: The myth of the female soldier.
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2009, 10:36:32 pm »

Don't worry, basic training causes enough mental castration to render such things safe. At least, a well-trained soldier who got a decent basic training.

But yes, men have been dieing for the cause of others living for as long as humans existed. Women have been doing that on a much smaller scale over history, but not enough for anybody to be used to it. Morale will indeed go down every time a woman dies in battle until women enter the meatgrinder because there is no other option. In which case, everybody will dislike the country whose soldiers grinded their female opponents.

Take that last sentence as you will.

But yes, when JRPG's arn't emphasizing an important females chestpillows the minor military people in the background are impressively coed and modest. Unless they are bridge bunnies. And then the Elder Scrolls games were very impressively open about gender roles, to the point where slaying an old woman hermit was not looked terribly down upon. Mostly because they never found the body.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2009, 11:09:50 pm »

If I recall correctly, there's only one female guard in all of Cyrodill
!!&!!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2009, 11:47:36 pm »

Yes, but if she's anything like the rest of the people in Cyrodiil, she'll have like five different voices, so it's like there are five female guards.
Shoes...

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2009, 01:41:16 am »

Final Fantasy Tactics had women, I think, and they weren't sexualized, well except for the Dancer class because it was a Ho (and the counterpart was the... Bard I think, who was useless).

I don't remember if there were separate sprites for male and female in each class, but AFAIK there weren't any "bikini soldiers".

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2009, 02:25:36 pm »

It's kind of surprising with all the shifting of player characters in CoD games that there hasn't been a single female protagonist in the main series.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that there was a Russian sniper in one of the handhelds or something, but like, it seems like something that would be a good idea both gameplaywise and commercially in say, Modern Warfare 2.  You know, she's travelling with a convoy, it gets attacked, when the cutscene is over you procede to shoot endless waves of respawning generic middle eastern insurgents.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:29:21 pm by Ioric Kittencuddler »
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2009, 02:35:27 pm »

Of course, this whole thing of "always treat women as though they might be pregnant" is INCREDIBLY insulting.

Except for the 1 time in 10,000 that it turns out to be true, and there's a tremendous uproar.

I can't find a link, but I've heard tales of the factory that stopped women from working in a specific part of the plant because if they were pregnant, they'd get birth defects.  They got hit with a huge discrimination lawsuit and were forced to let the women back in.  One of them got pregnant, and the baby had birth defects.  She hit the company with ANOTHER large lawsuit.

((I'm pretty sure the company now operates overseas))

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2009, 02:48:07 pm »

Oh, remember Homeworld 2? That girl on the box cover, she's the captain of your mothership.

Captain doesn't begin to describe Karan S'jet.  She IS your mothership.
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2009, 03:22:39 pm »

The chopper pilot in cod4 was done well and actually useful too. Because of her immortality, i effectively had 75% of my back covered by an invulnerable shield that also spit a ton of 9mm bullets at competitive level play accuracy. As opposed to McMillan who only uses his gun after you find a comfortable chair for him.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2009, 11:49:28 am »

I remember Starcraft had a female sniper that kicked ass.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2009, 12:07:05 pm »

Yes, that would Kerrigan, the de-facto protagonist of the game.  I say she still doesn't qualify though.  No shortage of competence, but the developers still tried to sex her up, even when spending most of the game as a zerg hybrid.  Namely by gaining a biomorphic dominatrix outfit complete with chitinous stiletto heels.

Looks to continue strong in the upcoming sequel, including the addition of a female main-Protoss-character wearing the fantasy-requisite battle bikini.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 01, 2009, 12:13:33 pm »

Yeah, but she's a protoss.  They're not exactly the most attractive things in the world.  They're not going to do the crazy sexual dimorphism thing like they did in WoW are they?
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 01, 2009, 12:16:27 pm »

The Protoss are digitigrad reptilians.  She's a Protoss with hips, and a prominent chestplate.  So I'm gonna to say yes.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2009, 12:25:18 pm »

the main protagonist in Starcraft was a female

awww beaten
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 12:27:02 pm by buman »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2009, 12:45:42 pm »

I believe the one place where women arn't allowed to serve is on submarines. Due to health complications, such as the chances of (if your pregant) damage to the unborn child in the women due to atmospheric pressures or something.

Why is it people act like woman in the military have never heard of contraceptives? Not only do they stop you from getting pregnant but they make womanly issues much less frequent if not non-existant.

Sadly, it's because there are women who will use pregnancy as a way out of a deployment. My ex-wife was a Marine, and she told me stories of women who's go out on deployments on aircraft carriers, decide they couldn't handle it, and get pregnant so they could be flown back home.

It's horrible, and I'm sure it's just a few women who'd do something like that. But it only takes a few people breaking or abusing the system to ruin things for everyone.

And that doesn't count the women who get careless and not use contraceptives, or they don't use them properly, or whatever. There is the fact that soldiers/sailors on deployment are forbidden from having sex, but when are rules are going to stop a bunch of 18-22 year-olds bored on a ship from having sex?.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 01, 2009, 07:23:20 pm »

I believe the one place where women arn't allowed to serve is on submarines. Due to health complications, such as the chances of (if your pregant) damage to the unborn child in the women due to atmospheric pressures or something.

Why is it people act like woman in the military have never heard of contraceptives? Not only do they stop you from getting pregnant but they make womanly issues much less frequent if not non-existant.

Sadly, it's because there are women who will use pregnancy as a way out of a deployment. My ex-wife was a Marine, and she told me stories of women who's go out on deployments on aircraft carriers, decide they couldn't handle it, and get pregnant so they could be flown back home.

It's horrible, and I'm sure it's just a few women who'd do something like that. But it only takes a few people breaking or abusing the system to ruin things for everyone.

And that doesn't count the women who get careless and not use contraceptives, or they don't use them properly, or whatever. There is the fact that soldiers/sailors on deployment are forbidden from having sex, but when are rules are going to stop a bunch of 18-22 year-olds bored on a ship from having sex?.

We need to develop some sort of temporary sterility technology!  That would fix everything!

PS: In case anyone somehow doesn't realize, this was a joke, possibly a bad one.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8