Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: The myth of the female soldier.  (Read 10058 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The myth of the female soldier.
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2009, 12:18:07 pm »

look... if you're going to go to the trouble to put a chick into media dominated by pre-pubescent boys, why would you then waste the opportunity to sex them up?
I believe it's dominated by males of the age of 30...

Sorta...  Age and Sex statistics are skewed by grandmas playing bejeweled.  I stand by a 15 year median age for players of high dollar violent games

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2009, 12:20:20 pm »

Wait, blasting tanks with an Apache and dodging stingers doesn't count as combat? US military is weird.

I think Apache's are a no-no, but blackhawks are ok...
Linky

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2009, 12:21:32 pm »

Heinlein isn't much of a medical authority, you know. I for one don't see why would women have faster reaction times.

*edit* Aww, why can't women fly gunships :(
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:23:31 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2009, 12:21:42 pm »

Wow, didn't expect this thread to be so popular.  I mean, on any other forum it would be full of stupid sexist jokes but here people tend to ignore threads if they have nothing constructive to add.

I wasn't aware of all those restrictions on female infantry and that certainly explains allot.  I can see now why it wouldn't really be considered worth it from a commercial perspective to make too much effort in this area.  Still would be interesting to see someone do it though.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2009, 12:26:01 pm »

Heinlein isn't much of a medical authority, you know. I for one don't see why would women have faster reaction times.

*edit* Aww, why can't women fly gunships :(

Actually, I'm lying to you. 

According to Wiki :
Also in 2003, Major Kim Campbell was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross for landing her combat damaged A-10 Thunderbolt II with no hydraulic control and only one functional engine after being struck by hostile fire over Baghdad.

and

December 20, 1989, Capt Linda L. Bray, 29, became the first woman to command American soldiers in battle, during the invasion of Panama. She was assigned to lead a force of 30 men and women MPs to capture a kennel holding guard dogs that was defended by elements of the Panamanian Defense force.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2009, 12:27:49 pm »

Hm, isn't the pyro in TF2 a girl?
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2009, 12:29:34 pm »

If she is, she's a breastless, potato-shaped girl; which gives TF2 points for not sexualizing her.
Shoes...

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2009, 12:32:27 pm »

I wasn't aware of all those restrictions on female infantry and that certainly explains allot.  I can see now why it wouldn't really be considered worth it from a commercial perspective to make too much effort in this area.  Still would be interesting to see someone do it though.

In older cultures, they make a LOT of sense.  While women have better long term endurance than men, they don't have nearly the same strength or burst endurance.  So when it comes to fighting in armor or weapons where strength is the most important damage factor, they are at a huge disadvantage.  Add to that the inability of women to control their fertility (both by legally enforced rape laws and birth control) creates a good chance they'll be combat ineffective.

Now that those issues are gone, I expect we'll start seeing more and more women in combat scenarios, and arts will start to show that.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2009, 12:32:51 pm »

If she is, she's a breastless, potato-shaped girl; which gives TF2 points for not sexualizing her.

Lol, I think the locker is a dead give away.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

yamo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2009, 12:38:52 pm »

1 man + 10 women=10 babies

10 men + 1 woman=1 baby

That is why women traditionally did not participate in combat.

Octomom!  Coming to a theater of operations near you.

Then again, I consider Infinity to be overly ambitious, something that might easily spell it's downfall.

-Blackthorne

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2009, 12:40:16 pm »

This reminds me that Ground Controll had Major Sarra Parker as it's non-sexualised protagonist. Too bad nobody knows that game though.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:46:18 pm by Virex »

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2009, 12:41:28 pm »

Heh, I totally forgot her name.  Never played the expansion pack either which supposedly continued the story.

Anyway, that's Sci-fi, but I guess it's as good as anything.

What would be really odd is seeing a realistic portrayal of Joan of Arc in a video game.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2009, 12:45:15 pm »

Even though it's a fantasy game...

Sodia from Tales of Vesperia is a girl in the Imperial Army who isn't "sexed up."

I bring this up because I just finished playing 4 hours of ToV, and it came to mind.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2009, 12:46:46 pm »

>:X

My ex-military landlord told me a story about a woman who'd been in his unit and who got some great commendation (first woman to get that one apparently) for bravery when her convoy got hit, something along the lines of shooting down the oncoming horde of insurgents and then, when she ran out of ammo, climbing onto the vehicle-mounted machine gun and then continuing to mow them down until she passed out from blood loss.

I always thought that was the most awesome thing ever, but now I can't find any information about it.  Closest I can come to is one woman who got a silver star for being a medic, not supposed to be in combat, vehicle got hit by an IED and dodged bullets to drag guys off the field to safety.  Then got promptly pulled from duty because women aren't supposed to serve in combat zones.

Did I just fall from an awesome universe to a less-awesome one by mistake?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2009, 12:49:37 pm »

Hmm, wouldn't it, from a perspective of natural role and supposed roles, be a good strategy to make all the grunts male and all the officers female?

Edit: Augh! that sounded sexist, it wasnt suposed to be, I was trying to "think like a politican", I shuld have know that was a bad idea.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 12:51:10 pm by Armok »
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8