Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: The myth of the female soldier.  (Read 10063 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
The myth of the female soldier.
« on: June 29, 2009, 11:33:52 am »

Ok, I wanted to make a more descriptive title but it would have been too long.  This thread is about something I just realized when I woke up this morning and then tried and failed to fall asleep again because it was too early.

Video-game portrayals of modern military forces, at supposedly realistic ones, are always exclusively male.  Any time I've actually seen female soldiers portrayed it is done in an intentionally unrealistic and sexualized manner.  Games that seem be trying to portray things is a (semi) realistic manner do so without portraying female soldiers at all.

So yeah...  I'm not really heading towards some point with this.  It's just something I realized which I've never seen mentioned before.
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
Re: The myth of the female soldier.
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2009, 11:43:37 am »

Well, there are women in the army but the ratio women:men is just very small. The media tends to not portray them realistically because they don't fit into the general role system ( the same reason why you rarely see truck drivers and politicians as women, though this seems to be changing lately ).

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2009, 11:45:45 am »

The helicopter pilot in Call of Duty 4 was female, and while you did have to carry her to safety, she wasn't in an overly sexualized role.
Shoes...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2009, 11:50:03 am »

Didn't know about that, but that brings up another interesting point.  The female pilot.  She's everywhere isn't she?  What's up with that?  Did it start with Aliens?

It's kind of funny... Halo 2 should really be a pillar of the feminist movement as one of the few games (the only one I can think of) that portrayed female soldiers in something other than a purely sexualized manner.  For such a mediocre game that's a rather big achievement.

EDIT: Well, not so much achievement as surprisingly unique aspect.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 11:52:04 am by Ioric Kittencuddler »

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2009, 12:05:09 pm »

Didn't know about that, but that brings up another interesting point.  The female pilot.  She's everywhere isn't she?  What's up with that?  Did it start with Aliens?

Probably has something to do with the fact that women seem to make better pilots then men.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 12:06:41 pm »

there's xcom

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 12:07:27 pm »

I think it has more to do with the fact that they make worse infantry than they make better pilots. In fact, I seriously doubt that women are any better at piloting.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 12:08:57 pm »

Heh, I'd assumed it was a way for game developers to put a female character in the game in a non-combat role so that they wouldn't alienate anyone.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 12:10:07 pm »

I wouldn't exactly say that pilot is a non-combat role.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2009, 12:10:14 pm »

look... if you're going to go to the trouble to put a chick into media dominated by pre-pubescent boys, why would you then waste the opportunity to sex them up?

On a more serious note, consider the needs of the story.  Females are rare in the military, so once you fill out your cast of core story roles, there's not much room for 'generic chick in the army'  Hence all the females are sexualized into their story roles.  This also goes a good distance to explaining the pilots.

Check the Starship Troopers book.  I imagine it's a good source.

Finally:
Most military games are either JRPGs with all their prejudices built in, WWII games where there weren't females, or else futuristic space marine games where you are the lone hero. 

Check Mass Effect though... Half it's cast is female.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2009, 12:10:54 pm »

As I recall, the female dropship pilot trope (prevalent in Halo too) actually goes all the way back to Starship Troopers, where Heinlein made kind of a big deal of the semi-gender integrated military of the 22nd century (or whatever it was).

The no-female-combat-soldiers thing is still realistic.  The American military is one of few forces that lets women serve in weapon carrying roles at all, and they're specifically forbidden from being sent on combat oriented ground missions (obviously ambushes don't count).

Fucking Ninja'd.  Stop posting so fast.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2009, 12:12:10 pm »

look... if you're going to go to the trouble to put a chick into media dominated by pre-pubescent boys, why would you then waste the opportunity to sex them up?
I believe it's dominated by males of the age of 30...

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2009, 12:12:53 pm »

I wouldn't exactly say that pilot is a non-combat role.

According to the US military it is.

Also, females are shorter and weigh less.  Both plusses for pilots.  (There's a few other general attributes that are plusses)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 12:15:50 pm »

Wait, blasting tanks with an Apache and dodging stingers doesn't count as combat? US military is weird.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 12:16:16 pm »

Didn't Heinlein's SST claim that (in his world anyway) their slightly faster reaction times made them absolutely essential as pilots?

Also...Uh, what have I seen in recent games...Whats-her-name in Metal Gear Solid 4 in FOXHOUND.  I never played the earlier games, which she was probably in, but she seems to fit "badass elite soldier" without being sexualized, um, at all pretty much.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8